PDA

View Full Version : Monolith Painting

Gonzoyola
18-04-2011, 20:17
Hey guys, I don't often wander over to this side of the Warseer boards, but I find my self in need of some pro 40k advice. I am a huge fantasy player, with a small Necron army, and one of my Fantasy armies is Tomb Kings. Im sure most people here have seen the sphinx that is to be released, and Ive spent much time wondering how to do it justice in painting. I then realized that I've always loved the paint job of the monolith in the Necron book (the very dark green effect) and I think thats the direction I want to go.

That being said, I want to actually use this as an excuse to paint my Monolith and get some practice. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten as to how to get a similar outcome as to what theyve achieved in the army book. The only details I could find on it were that they base coated it with primer, and then used Dark Angel green along the edges of the panels, and highlighted with Snot green or something.

Does anyone know where I can get more refined instructions on a step by step of how to do the monolith and the colors involved? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lord Damocles
18-04-2011, 20:23
The only details I could find on it were that they base coated it with primer, and then used Dark Angel green along the edges of the panels, and highlighted with Snot green or something.
That's about it. You could add more Chaos Black to the Dark Angel Green for the darker areas, and more Skull White to the Snot Green for the hard edges/corners, but you've pretty much got it.

Gonzoyola
18-04-2011, 20:31
That looks great :)

So is all of the rest of the paneling just the black undercoat? or is that Dark Angel green that is covering the majority of it? Its hard for me to tell, it doesnt help that I have terrible vision in the first place haha.

Lord Damocles
18-04-2011, 20:44
My one was just black spray as base which went straight to Dark Angel Green around the edges, and Snot Green for some hard edge highlights - I didn't bother with any of that blending malarky! :p

Gonzoyola
18-04-2011, 20:46
Great advice :) Thank you so much for the help

Fle
18-04-2011, 20:55
Maybe you could try drybrushing the panels with boltgun metal and then wash it heavily with the green and black washes? I think that would give you a dark green tinged metal effect?

I think Lord Damocles method would also result in a very sinister looking monolith.

ascendedjesse
19-04-2011, 00:41
If you have the codex, it's described how they did it. That being said, everyone has pretty much described how to get the desired effect.

"We painted the Monolith by drybrushing across the panel lines with Dark Angels Green and adding some Goblin Green to lighten the very edge. The hieroglyphs were picked out with Burnished Gold and the Weapons drybrushed with Bolt Gun Metal."