PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Trolls vs. Nurgle Chaos Ogres?

Citadel97501
18-04-2011, 23:42
Hello all,

I was hoping I could get some advice on which to take in a tourney environment? Normally I love my Nurgle GW/Chaos Armor Ogres, but I have been noticing a lot more cannons & steam tanks lately, and I was wondering how the Trolls stack up?

For the record I don't own Throgg, and I have 12 Ogres, and 12 Trolls?

I was thinking that unlike the Ogres, the Trolls would be better off in smaller units since ranks aren't as required for them as my Ogres?

Please post your opinion, preferably backed up by experience.

myrsnipe
19-04-2011, 00:06
As ive only ever used trolls, I cant really give you any hands on advice. However it's pretty given that trolls needs to be baby sat by your general and bsb, ogres doesnt have this problem. Depending on the task you have in mind, ogres might be more flexible, while trolls seems to be better on paper once their stupidity / low leadership issues are dealt with (they also got a greater chance to survive those cannon balls due to regen).

While Trolls have smaller rank requirements, keep in mind that the lack of a musician can make large groups unwieldy (I used to field a group of 6 as heavy support for my warriors or marauders in order to disrupt rank bonuses, but found it too impractical due to the size of the unit and lack of swift reform). So yeah, small units are good, unless you just want to go deathstar style (which is a bad idea since flaming attacks take away their only defence)

popisdead
21-04-2011, 21:53
I love Chaos Ogres and wish to no end the rules were better. They are the weakest unit in the WoC book. Every other unit is tactially better in some manner for whatever role you are trying to fulfill with them.

I do not play WoC without a unit of 6 Trolls :)

Rakton
22-04-2011, 02:15
I love Chaos Ogres and wish to no end the rules were better. They are the weakest unit in the WoC book. Every other unit is tactially better in some manner for whatever role you are trying to fulfill with them.

except forsaken :p

imperailgriffin
07-05-2011, 05:48
Chaos Ogres mark of Khorne and great weapons with chaos armour, whilst quite expensive, as a falnker or for taking out monsters stegs, stanks etc hit like a ton of bricks and with plenty of wounds, to absorb damage if you run them 5-6 models. great choice in 3k games.

Nickthebear
09-05-2011, 12:08
I cant believe people havnt mentioned it yet so here i go
Trolls have a couple of nifty tricks up their sleeves ogres dont. Ogres are basically a big warrior, right? now take trolls they vomit...now if you want diversity you have it with them. i go 6 trolls also and the back row all get their attacks due to being monstrous infantry,so lots of attacks at a pretty decent strength or you can vomit just to get sumurt out the way. not only that but yeah they have regen so they will pretty much alsways have a fifty/fifty save on most things. dont worry about flamed attacks as how many people have come across them really? plus the best bit, if someone gets scared of the troll (which they should) they might wanna plough alot of attacks or shots into them,sweet...each PHASE they regen two or more wounds they get EOTG roll...so beef up yum yum. no say someone shoots them then they get magickt...they could get two rolls on EOTG in one turn...so shoot at them by all means whilst you can cuz the same thing will happen when they get into combat except they will be eating lots n lots :D
feed my prettys mwuahahaha

LordoftheBrassThrone
10-05-2011, 22:35
i run a unit of 3 with throgg. at 310pts its quite an investment, but then at Ld 8 theyre fine to go wherever they want. 2x2 formation, very manouvrable, and ive never lost the whole unit :D

Agoz
11-05-2011, 04:12
I cant believe people havnt mentioned it yet so here i go
Trolls have a couple of nifty tricks up their sleeves ogres dont. Ogres are basically a big warrior, right? now take trolls they vomit...now if you want diversity you have it with them. i go 6 trolls also and the back row all get their attacks due to being monstrous infantry,so lots of attacks at a pretty decent strength or you can vomit just to get sumurt out the way. not only that but yeah they have regen so they will pretty much alsways have a fifty/fifty save on most things. dont worry about flamed attacks as how many people have come across them really? plus the best bit, if someone gets scared of the troll (which they should) they might wanna plough alot of attacks or shots into them,sweet...each PHASE they regen two or more wounds they get EOTG roll...so beef up yum yum. no say someone shoots them then they get magickt...they could get two rolls on EOTG in one turn...so shoot at them by all means whilst you can cuz the same thing will happen when they get into combat except they will be eating lots n lots :D
feed my prettys mwuahahaha

At least where I play, the common flaming attacks banner is pretty much mandatory in lists, so I actually see flaming attacks alot.

Djekar
11-05-2011, 08:33
So far I have found that they fufill different roles. My ogres (which I generally run with MoSlaanesh and Greatweapons) go hunting Big Things That Hate Lots of Strength 6 Attacks. My trolls in turn are more of a line unit. I usually only run 6-9 of them, and they are always good. Babysitting required of course. And it's a pity that you don't have Throgg, he's a real beast.

popisdead
12-05-2011, 21:15
For the record I don't own Throgg

No one does ;-)

Trolls are probably in the top-3 best unit in the WoC army and Ogres are hands down the worst unit. Everything about them is worse than another unit doing the same role (except sucking) and generally Ogres pay more to do this (even the sucking part).

I play with Trolls in every WoC army I take.

Citadel97501
13-05-2011, 00:45
No one does ;-)

Trolls are probably in the top-3 best unit in the WoC army and Ogres are hands down the worst unit. Everything about them is worse than another unit doing the same role (except sucking) and generally Ogres pay more to do this (even the sucking part).

OK, I need to ask what are you smoking? Chaos Ogres are not a bad unit, they do the same job as Chaos Knights, are tougher even with the worse armor save due to the # of wounds they have, and aren't stupid.

I will agree that I am beginning to favor Trolls, due to the regeneration, and Eye of the Gods table, but people need to stop bad mouthing my Chaos Ogres.

Trains_Get_Robbed
13-05-2011, 04:17
No one does ;-)

Not true, a friend of mine runs a Throgg army, with Knight, Hellcannon, Shrine and Warrior support. He has a Throgg conversion/kitbash that looks ridcoulously cool and kicks many butts with his list. . . save for my W.L :shifty:.

popisdead
13-05-2011, 23:27
OK, I need to ask what are you smoking? Chaos Ogres are not a bad unit, they do the same job as Chaos Knights, are tougher even with the worse armor save due to the # of wounds they have, and aren't stupid.

I will agree that I am beginning to favor Trolls, due to the regeneration, and Eye of the Gods table, but people need to stop bad mouthing my Chaos Ogres.

really? what am i smoking? ... sigh,.. Great job on flaming (har har).

OK so Chaos Ogres do not have a 1+ save, they do not have M7, they do not have ensorcelled weapons, they do not have S5. Chaos Knights are not stupid, chaos knights have the same toughness as ogres.

For 5 points with a Chaos Knight you get 5-6 things better than Ogres.

I also think Forsaken might be better than Ogres because you can field 5 and they have about the same amount of attacks on avg all at S4.

I have a lot of Chaos Ogres, I like the models I loved playing with them in 7th ed with my Beastmen but they perform any task weaker than some other unit in the army.