PDA

View Full Version : combat vampire lord

Ryan814
19-04-2011, 19:09
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of a vampire general who goes toe-to-toe rather than casting. I have been thinking of running a red fury, infinite hatred lord, possibly in a unit of skeleton spears, I would have this as support for my GG block with my wight king, and run a caster thrall vampire with lore of beasts and a vanhels necromancer in a bunker behind the line. Not really sure if this could work or not. Has anyone had any luck with similar set ups ever?

GodlessM
19-04-2011, 19:19
It wouldn't be anything new, that build has been used since the book came out. It's not as common as caster Lords, but it shows up a fair share.

sulla
19-04-2011, 19:26
Hardest thing to deal with for a combat lord is that now you want to be the same unit type as your unit to avoid getting picked out by war machines, you really don't want to be mounted. That means a lower armour save, so no-brainers from 7th like the immune to killing blow and poison armour are not such good options anymore because they leave you with a low, low save and rank and filers can start hurting you. Tough decisions ahead for you.

All I would say is; He's the most important guy in your army. Make sure you protect him above all else. He will need to last at least 4 combat phases in a game.

Malorian
19-04-2011, 19:45
I like to run both: a caster lord and a combat lord.

Yrrdead
19-04-2011, 21:39
Relish this decision as it is one of the few you get to make with VC these days.

A little more on topic , like people have mentioned , put him in a unit of Blood Knights with Blood Drinker , this is actually the "safest" general I play with. My caster generals lately have a startling fascination with result 2-4 on the miscast chart.

sulla
20-04-2011, 06:46
I like to run both: a caster lord and a combat lord.

My regular VC opponent can't find builds for them in 2500pt games that he is happy with. What are you using?

Kevlar
20-04-2011, 09:01
I've faced this guy many times. I'd say do not put him in with skeletons. You can easily get him a 2+/4+ even on foot, he is nigh indestructible and can do a lot of damage. The problem with skeletons is they die too easy and generate zero combat resolution for you. The unit will die and he will die to crumbles.

Put him in a horde of ghouls or a hordestar of grave guard and he is much safer and more lethal. The unit can dish out a lot of damage and their combat resolution won't kill him. He seems to have more synergy with the ghouls as they need his boost a little more than the grave guard do. The GG are lethal all on their own, or with the wight king bsb.

Malorian
20-04-2011, 14:12
My regular VC opponent can't find builds for them in 2500pt games that he is happy with. What are you using?

This is my baby: Lvl 2 vampire lord w/ +3 attack sword, potion of strength, cadaverous cuirass, red fury, infinite hatred 375

He will slaughter rank and file and then your can pop the potion when dealing with characters or monsters.

I love him :D

Edit: I should add that he is in my regen grave guard unit. So he has more protection then it seems.

sulla
21-04-2011, 22:13
This is my baby: Lvl 2 vampire lord w/ +3 attack sword, potion of strength, cadaverous cuirass, red fury, infinite hatred 375

That doesn't leave many points for a caster lord. Is this for very large games?

Zoolander
21-04-2011, 22:35

Yeah, I've tried that also, but couldn't get the points right to make it work.

datalink7
21-04-2011, 23:17
I actually run a Hybrid Lord, slanted towards the combat side, and have been very successful.

Vampire Lord, 435 pts
. . Level 3 Upgrade
. . Ogre Blade
. . Glittering Scales
. . Black Periapt
. . Dragonbane Gem
. . The Other Trickster's Shard
. . Red Fury
. . Dark Acolyte

For defense, I put him in my Grave Guard unit with Regen Banner BSB. This way, he is -1 to hit from glittering scales and has either 4+ regen, or 2+ ward vs Fire. Plus you can heal with your casting.

For some spell casting ability I've made him level 4 and he can hold a dice with the periapt from phase to phase.

For combat, Ogre Blade gives him S7, and Red Fury gives him extra attacks for each wound. I've experiemented with both +2A and +2S sword and have settled on the +2S sword being more useful overall.

Other Tricksters Shard is there for utility in challenges. It has come in clutch multiple times.

I'm quite proud of this build actually, as most don't expect a hybrid lord. I'm sure I'm not the first to do it of course.

Malorian
22-04-2011, 06:38

Our group usually does 3000 point games, but I've ran this combat lord solo before and did just fine.

You can also just have a regular vampire with the helm and master of the black arts to support him and that really helks things.

Ryan814
22-04-2011, 09:24
I really like some of these idea's I see here, a lvl 4 caster lord with red fury and a good sword sounds pretty good to me, I'm thinking that I'll use a helm carrier vamp in a bunker, consensus seems to be that a lord needs a good body guard to survive. This makes total sense to me with the whole army falling apart when he dies thing going down.

For a support vampire I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth it to drop motba in favour of takin a different lore, something like beasts or metal to buff my units up,

The Clairvoyant
12-05-2011, 15:55
I always take a combat vampire lord and always have.

My current favoured setup is this:

Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Beguile
Nightshroud
Talisman of 4+ ward save (i forget the name)
Sword of Anti-Heroes

This vampire is specifically made for taking on enemy characters and so should always challenge opponents.
You get +1A and +1S for each enemy character in the unit, rerolling to hit and assuming a failed -3Ld test, you reroll to wound as well. The nightshroud ensures that you strike first (and avoid those pesky elves, and especially DE assassins).
You have a 4+ ward save in the unlikely event you do get hit in return.
Occasionally i swap beguile for the +1CR power.

And if your opponent decides to decline the challenge, go ahead and roll 5 attack dice, rerolling misses, hitting at S6 (so ignoring most armour saves) and getting additional attacks too.
And the more characters they have in the unit the better.