PDA

View Full Version : GW's rate of new releases

Myrmidon616
21-04-2011, 09:09
I realise that the rate at which they release new stuff is pretty large (I can remember old WDs where nothing big was released) but is it possible for them to release more?

Its a good thing that they take a long time developing things (recent releases are proof of that) and quality over quantity is more important, but is this a result of such a process or due to some requisite marketting reason which makes them stagger releases?

My only complaint is that I wish they'd release more stuff on the side such as bitz packs.

stroller
21-04-2011, 16:14
A quick glance tells me that there are about 90 bitz packs for 40K at the minute, including shoulder pads and weapons packs. In theory, GW could release any sprue as "bitz", but it would be labour and space intensive. I presume this is one reason they dropped the service before. The cost would outweigh the profit. It would be nice if ferraris were only 1K - I'd have 3, but then ferrari would probably go bust. I'd rather use the second hand market for bits, and of course raid my own bitz box. I DO like that they wheel out some classic models as "bitz" - and every now and then I succumb to temptation. To me, today, it don't appear broke, so I'd rather they didn't try to fix it. But hey, what do I know?

Myrmidon616
21-04-2011, 17:21
The reason I was annoyed about a 'lack' of bitz packs was because I couldn't find Black Legion shoulder pads on thier site. I've just checked and there they are. facepalm :o

Griefbringer
22-04-2011, 15:04
Its a good thing that they take a long time developing things (recent releases are proof of that) and quality over quantity is more important, but is this a result of such a process or due to some requisite marketting reason which makes them stagger releases?

Staggering the releases does not really affect the amount of new products they can develop in a given period of time - that is determined by the amount of sculptors etc. they have in the studio, and the amount of time they are given for a specific project.

Another issue is the projected sales: how much will a given new product bring in new sales, and how much will it impact the sales of the other products. doubling the amount of new releases probably would not double the amount of sales.

rodmillard
22-04-2011, 18:02
Another issue is the projected sales: how much will a given new product bring in new sales, and how much will it impact the sales of the other products. doubling the amount of new releases probably would not double the amount of sales.

It may actually reduce the ammount of sales, since people would be less inclined to start new armies. If they were releasing plastic kits for 40K and WFB and LotR all in the same month then people would be more inclined to stick to one or two armies in one system, rather than dabble in the others.

If you mean that they should have more kits with each release (like the DE last year) then I don't think that will work. DE was a special case - it was a long neglected army with a strong fanbase which needed a complete overhaul. The release was carefully timed for just before Christmas, when people traditionally spend more on toys for their kids. People normally only have a limited disposable income, and if they brought out 6 new plastic kits instead of the three that are coming with TK each kit would sell less, therefore taking longer to make its costs back. If they released more kits at a lower price then they would probably sell the same volume of each kit, but at a lower profit margin, so the same problem would apply. GW's entire business model is geared towards a cycle of book releases each accompained by 3 or 4 plastic kits and some blister packs - they would have to rethink everything if they intended to change that.