PDA

View Full Version : How many Clanrats/slaves should I take in a 2000/2500 skaven army, and with what eqmt

checkmorale
21-04-2011, 22:54
I have some boxes of the older, monkey-looking skaven, and plan to split them into two groups; one with the better armor to use as clanrats, and one with the leather armor to use as slaves. I only want to do this once.

So my question is, how many units of clanrats / slaves are in a typical 2000 point Skaven army?

At 2500 points?

How big are each unit, i.e. how many models in each?

What if you're running an infantry heavy list?

I just want to know before I get cracking assembling these, and need to buy any more of the older boxes.

-Check

Surgency
21-04-2011, 23:04
simple answer.... A lot!

I run no slaves, and have either 80 or 120 clan rats, depending on the list that I run at 2500. Slave armies can easily run upwards of 300 models at 3000, again depending on what else is included

checkmorale
22-04-2011, 01:18
simple answer.... A lot!

I run no slaves, and have either 80 or 120 clan rats, depending on the list that I run at 2500. Slave armies can easily run upwards of 300 models at 3000, again depending on what else is included

But isn't the rule to have one unit of slaves, for every unit of Clanrats? I mean, one unit of Clanrats can be one giant unit, but isn't the goal to have the number be about the same?

You don't take slaves? At all?

--Chris

Surgency
22-04-2011, 03:07
nope, not at all. I've never used them, and I still win quite a bit more than I lose ;)

I typically run 3-4 units of clanrats, a unit of stormvermin, and a unit of plague monks, depending on who i'm facing. Use other items to back them up, combine charges, proper use of magic, means that I typically do quite well. A few armies give me fits, but I'm learning how to deal with them

thefo
22-04-2011, 03:12
i like to run alot of clanrats about 120 which is four units of 30 each and just get them to hold people up while ur hard hitting units wreck their face in the flank!

Coldblood666
22-04-2011, 03:17
I dont use slaves either because I dont want to paint hundreds of rats and if my army isnt painted I dont play with it.

In my 2500pt list right now I use 2 units of 35 clanrats, a horde of 40 plaguemonks with furnace, and a horde of 44 clanrats led by bonebreaker lord, lord on foot, and BSB.

russellmoo
22-04-2011, 04:15
Maybe this will help

1- The number of slaves in a skaven army is one of preference-

2- Slave units tend to work well in the following ways-
50+ if naked
40+ with shields
60+ with spears- probably ideal in a unit of 120-

3- generally clanrats do reasonably well with spears, or just with shields-
Clanrat units need to be 30+(40 is better) unless you are playing low point games 1500 or less-

4- Your decision should be based on your playstyle- aggressive players tend to field more clanrats, whereas, defensive players take more shooting, and more slaves- I would playtest a few different lists varying the number of slaves and clanrats before making this decision-

TheDrugLordX
22-04-2011, 16:35
I currently run 2x43 slaves and 2x35 clanrats at 2500pts.

Slaves generally have better usages than clanrats, but they have a big drawback, and that is (pretty obviously) their poor leadership value. After alot of testing i have found that two units of slaves can be supported by your general alone. With more units of slaves the excessive units tend to get pulled away from your general and then they die quickly. So if you use more units of slaves you should make your general a large target (bell/funace) to increase his inspiring presence range, or provide more characters to support the slaves, these characters have to, however, be tooled to survive combat, since if they die your slaves will break.

I have also noted that running too many units of slaves (and/or clanrats) just gets in your own way. This might be different for shooty oriented lists since i always tend to play combat oriented lists. For shooty slaves, running several minimum sized slave units as "bombs" might also be interesting.

A big advantage of running clanrats is the ability to take weapon teams. If you do not feel like you need a weapon team with your unit, then you are most probably bettee off taking a slave unit or a unit of stormvermin instead.

So it is basically dependant on the rest of your army abd how you want to play your arny.

Hope this helped. (what i said is by no means facts, just my experiances)

Beastlord
22-04-2011, 16:52
I run two units of clanrats ( 1x49 and 1x42 ) and a single unit of 50 - 60 slaves. This is at about 2000pts... So about 150 all told. Tempted by a third clanrat unit but i'll probably go for plague monks/sv instead.

checkmorale
22-04-2011, 19:17
Maybe this will help

1- The number of slaves in a skaven army is one of preference-

2- Slave units tend to work well in the following ways-
50+ if naked
40+ with shields
60+ with spears- probably ideal in a unit of 120-

3- generally clanrats do reasonably well with spears, or just with shields-
Clanrat units need to be 30+(40 is better) unless you are playing low point games 1500 or less-

4- Your decision should be based on your playstyle- aggressive players tend to field more clanrats, whereas, defensive players take more shooting, and more slaves- I would playtest a few different lists varying the number of slaves and clanrats before making this decision-

A unit of 120 models? Seriously? I can understand 30-50, but 120?

Thanks to all the other great advice, I'm thinking I may need to buy a few more boxes of the old guys, although the new ones are dirt-cheap too.

-Check