PDA

View Full Version : Partying Like it's 7th Edition with Dark Elves

Don Zeko
22-04-2011, 15:05
I've been enjoying Memnos's beastmen battle reports, both because his tales of Ghorros are a blast and because he's been surprisingly successful with nothing but cavalry and monsters. So I thought I would try the same playstyle with my Dark Elves. Here's the list. Hopefully I can play a few games with it and report back.

2500 Pts - Dark Elves Roster

Total Roster Cost: 2499

Dreadlord (277 pts)
w/Soulrender, Dragonhelm, Crown of Command, Pendant of Khaeleth, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cold One

High Sorceress (348 pts)
. . lvl 4w/Darkstar CLoak, Talisman of Preservation, Dark steed. Death Magic

Hag Queen (225 pts)
. . BSB w/cauldron of blood

Dark Riders (161 pts)
. . 7 Dark Riders, w/Repeater Crossbow and Musician

Dark Riders (117 pts)
. . 5 Dark Riders, w/Repeater Crossbow and Musician

Dark Riders (117 pts)

Dark Riders (117 pts)

Dark Riders (117 pts)

Cold One Knights (202 pts)
. . 6 Cold One Knights, w/full command

Cold One Knights (239 pts)
. . 7 Cold One Knights, w/full command, banner of eternal flame

Cold One Knights (229 pts)
. . 7 Cold One Knights, w/full command

War Hydra (175 pts)

War Hydra (175 pts)

tmarichards
22-04-2011, 16:00
I'd probably have put the Lord on a Dark Steed so that he's a bit faster, the extra pip of armour save won't really affect him.

Also, I think the BSB would be better as a Master on a Dark Peg, that way you can make sure the re-rolls stay in range of your army. Definitely still keep the Cauldron though.

russellmoo
22-04-2011, 16:09
Where's your banner of "I wish I had this in my army, everything gets +1 attack"?

I don't know the actual name but it is devastating on a unit of cold one knights-

Don Zeko
22-04-2011, 16:19
Where's your banner of "I wish I had this in my army, everything gets +1 attack"?

I don't know the actual name but it is devastating on a unit of cold one knights-

You're thinking of the Hydra Banner. It's devastating, but it's also a noob trap. The banner costs 75 points and only works on the turn that you charge, so a BSB with that banner on a cold one clocks in at 214 points. Whereas a Cauldron with your BSB costs 225, can give you bonus attacks in rounds where you aren't charging, gives you a ward save when you aren't in combat, can give you killing blow if you want it, makes witch elves and executioners stubborn, can switch the +1 attacks buff between units, and is much harder to kill. With the cauldron, all 3 of my 200-ish point cold one knight units can hit as if they have the hydra banner and I don't have a 450-point unit of 7 cavalry models with a giant bullseye on their heads.

tmarichards
22-04-2011, 17:52
Agreed, Cauldron BSB> hydra banner BSB.

The only thing the Hydra BSB does that the Cauldron can't is give an attack to the mounts... not really worthwhile.