PDA

View Full Version : carboot sale finds

Dareece
03-05-2011, 07:35
Have you guys found anything good at a carboot sale, recently went to one, only managed to find some white dwarf magazines.

drear
03-05-2011, 08:57
theres a nice little shop near me ..its basically a scrap yard for old toys/models and collectables.

its got TONS of pewter minis, and a small box of old monopose high elves and marines.
but has a few miniture catalogues from the late 80's..

ive bought a few marines from there as its cheaper than ebay or gw XD

i did once see a rat ogre in a carboot.

Indeed
03-05-2011, 10:24
Got a Rhino for $3 once.

Also, the forum isn't letting me post a thread for some reason.

spikedog
03-05-2011, 13:35
I am not joking here, my Dad managed to pick up around 7-8 full (3000+ points) armies from both Fantasy and 40K, plus terrain, paints, rulebooks etc. Easily over a grands worth of stuff.

He didn't even know what it was really, he just picked it up because he knew I played!

Dareece
03-05-2011, 15:37
Thats a great find spikedog, fingers crossed i'll find some goodies next time.

scarletsquig
03-05-2011, 23:44
Heh spikedog, that looks like a case of "our kid moved out and left this stuff behind.. time to sell it".

Probably to the horror of said kid when he finds out how much they sold it for. :P

I often came across that at car boots, picked up most of my music collection from a table crammed with CDs (really good selection of modern and classic rock/indie/metal, all on sale for 20p each. Boomer couple in their 50s behind the table, they mentioned that it was their daughter's "horrible loud music" that they'd had to put up with throughout her teenage years and they're glad to see the back of it now that she'd left for uni.

I spent 20 and walked away with 100 CDs. At the time (2003, so CDs were still expensive) it also added up to well over a grand's worth of stuff.

I'd imagine the seller of those armies was also just thinking "Time to get rid of these stupid cheap plastic army men that my kid's been cluttering the house up with for years". :)

cornixt
04-05-2011, 00:23
You also see the opposite end of the scale with someone thinking "these must be collectable" and trying to sell 5 of random models for 20

Hrw-Amen
04-05-2011, 09:12
I have not really found that much that is any good, it is usually overpriced or covered in thick oil paints and badly put together. The best thing I have found was a few years back and they were the original WFB Slann, but only five of them.

Jedi152
04-05-2011, 09:24
The problem now is that eBay has made people think that they can sell all their worthless crap for big money, and people can now easily check prices on the net.

The days of the car boot bargain are numbered...

Having said that, we got a bargain out of the paper about ten years ago. A guy had gone to uni and told his parents to sell all his stuff. We picked up Man o War, a metal HE fleet, and anything we wanted out of his collection for 10.

Ronin[XiC]
04-05-2011, 13:00
Yet to find anything besides lord of the rings miniatures :(

T10
04-05-2011, 13:19
Have you guys found anything good at a carboot sale, recently went to one, only managed to find some white dwarf magazines.

No.

-T10

nightgant98c
04-05-2011, 16:08
I go to flea markets and yard sales alot, and rarel ever find anything related to any of my hobbies. And never anything Warhammer related.

jack da greenskin
04-05-2011, 21:49
4th ed 40k rulebook for 50p :D

RainSong
06-05-2011, 17:15
LoTR Treeman for 1 - works nicely in my WE army :D

And lots of horribly 'painted' 40k models that I'll probably strip down and try to sell one day...

ftayl5
06-05-2011, 23:58
Old Lizardmen vs Bretonnian starter box still in the box (less plastic)
Was about $10 (AU) but, having no interest in it back then I didn't buy it. :(

BooNL
07-05-2011, 06:39
Well ftayl5, the models in that starter set aren't that good. Though the knights are fairly nice. The books are pretty cool to have though. Back from when GW was still a bunch of geeks with a silly sense of humor :).

I found a bunch of Dogs of War troops at a fleamarket once for about 5 euro's. I think I walked away with a box of Voland's, Slayer Pirates. Alcadi Fellowship and Birdmen.

nightgant98c
08-05-2011, 16:11
I just remembered my best find. I was at a RC model show (planes cars trains). A guy had a box full of unused GW paints. 70 or 80. Assorted colors, with duplicates of most. Wanted $10. A friend and I split the cost, and the paint. Most were still in usable condition, or at worst needed some water added.
Also that same friend found a copy of Blood Bowl at a flea market. Then a few days later won a new copy at a game store event.

Haravikk
08-05-2011, 17:05
No.
Same, carboot sales round my way are rubbish (literally) :(

I got a Slayer army of nearly 100 models on eBay for 90 though a while back which I was dead pleased with, as a brand new unit of 20 was 65 at the time! And nearly the whole army was already undercoated in black!

magicmonkey
08-05-2011, 17:16
i have never found anything warhammer related at a carboot, though ebay has been good for odd peices and older models dirt cheap.

LordoftheBrassThrone
18-05-2011, 07:56
I got about 2000pts of orcs for 5 :o no core units though lol

Vashta
18-05-2011, 08:07
Best find was a Dragon Ogre Shaggoth for 20p.

I've also picked up a lot of old old stuff (such as the orignal Slann frogmen)

Overlord Krycis
18-05-2011, 08:27
I've only ever been to 2 carboot sales in my life...
First one had loads of random gamer tat...nothing worthwhile tbh.

Second one was made of awesomesauce: RTB001 with EVERYTHING in it on sprues...and 4 Imperial Armour books...

5 for the the Rogue Trader Box...1 EACH for the IA stuff...

I paid and legged it outta the parking lot giggling.