PDA

View Full Version : character in 2nd ranks using spells

meanmachine
03-05-2011, 09:47
i have heard if you take a 4 wide unit and with full command and 2 characters 1 of the characters can go in the 2nd rank to avoid being targeted in combat.

If that was correct.

when a tomb priest is in 2nd rank can he cast any augment or hex spells

cobra0
03-05-2011, 09:54
That is correct. I use skaven where rank bonus is VERY important and use 5 wide units with 2 additional characters to protect the 3rd (and 4th) character.
This is fine for BSB and General, as they just need to be seen.
Wizards however may get into trouble because of TLOS (True Line Of Sight), but you can cast any spells that do not need LOS easily, like Scorch (a Skaven Spell)

D'Haran
04-05-2011, 01:11
LoS is merely a 90 degree arc in front of the model, spells needing LoS (almost entirely direct dmg spells) require that the target be in that front arc. However Hex's and Augments require no LoS and thus can be cast from the second rank back or further.

Thx Clowater for the save. LoS+Forward Arc for Magic Missles, Forward Arc for Direct Damage, neither are required for Hex and Augment.

Clowater
04-05-2011, 02:46
LoS is merely a 90 degree arc in front of the model, spells needing Los (almost entirely direct dmg spells) require that the target be in that front arc. However Hex's and Augments require no LoS and thus can be cast from the second rank back or further.

Direct damage spells do not require line of sight, only Arc.

There is a significant difference between Arc and Lines of sight.

Only magic missiles require Line of Sight.

pippin_nl
04-05-2011, 20:08
Vortexes like Purple Sun will also hit your front rank...

Jerubaal
05-05-2011, 09:06
Fortunately the Bret FAQ allows its Damsels to cast magic missiles from the second rank of a Lance.

Morkash
05-05-2011, 09:11
One question on that one. Can you cast Vortexes if in the second rank of an unit?
Last week I wanted to cast Curse of Da Bad Moon and would have touched a few Orcs when I placed the template. So my mate said that I cannot cast a vortex if the template touches any friendly models before it moves.
Is this true?

Yrrdead
05-05-2011, 17:49
You may cast a vortex if you are in the second rank. You may cast a vortex in such a way that it affects friendly models.

See the latest FAQ. Which addresses that very question.

Leth Shyish'phak
05-05-2011, 18:41
EDIT: Was completely wrong and the forum won't let me delete it.