PDA

View Full Version : A veterans last last, for the emperor

High speed low drag
03-05-2011, 20:50
Hi seers,

I have decided to do my IG army now and also a project diarama for games day,

I decided to have a veterans squad all modeled with either bandaged arms, on there knees ect as they are getting a good old kicking from a hostile force however, under the watchful eye of the lord commissar never faulting for a moment, all on there knees bleeding, running out of ammo and having to resort to there pistols for ranged power, all the wile holding there company banner held high, even with the bullet holes in it

just wondering what you guys would think of the diarama idea and also about how the squad would look on the tabel in regular games...

The Highlander
03-05-2011, 20:54
That sounds like a cool idea.

Mannimarco
03-05-2011, 21:10
Sounds good to me. I look forward to the pics.

Smiling Banshee
03-05-2011, 21:25
I like it, sounds good. Are you gonna do a project log?

High speed low drag
03-05-2011, 21:28
yea, should be able to, I was thinking of doing it a little like the last bit from the movie tears of the sun...

any suggestions on who the "bad guys" could be would be great

Project2501
03-05-2011, 21:39
Sounds like the openning cinematic to Dawn of War with IG in place of SM.

Still cool though, put some of the wounded space marine bitz around them as well imo.

High speed low drag
03-05-2011, 21:43
I could get the dead space marine models from GW and have them lying on the ground, all shot up and deaded, isnt it funny when we mortal and perfectly ordenary soldiers outlast, out fight and really do know what the saying feel no pain means

Project2501
03-05-2011, 21:49
I'm temted to say tyranids for the opposition, but i don't know if it's because of the 'alienness' of them or the picture of a Black Templar squad with a dread surrounded by them in the big rule book (i believe).

Or just go with it, and paint the wounded/dead marines as black templars, and have the IG squad holding out against the tyrannids.

Mannimarco
03-05-2011, 22:01
Tyranids, call it an homage to that pic in the guard dex of that nid swarm bearing down on an imperial guard position.

Ozone
03-05-2011, 22:09
Or perhaps leave the enemy unknown, letting the viewer's imagination fill in the blanks? Just like many of the heroic last-stand pics GW puts out. The focus is after all on the Vets and not their foe.

Xarian
03-05-2011, 22:11
Bullet holes, so you'll want an enemy who uses bullets... meaning Orks are your only non-imperial choice, really. I guess Chaos Marines could use bullets too, but that'd look odd

Edit: I like Ozone's idea

High speed low drag
03-05-2011, 22:15
The cadin command flag has holes in it that look like bullets but I guess i could just swap the flag out...

drmarco
03-05-2011, 22:16
I agree with ozone...best to show no enemy, and leave it up to the viewer to make the narrative.

Good luck,

Marco

High speed low drag
03-05-2011, 22:24
yea leave it to the viewer, do you guys think it should be done with regular vets or a storm trooper squad, i going for that look a few elite men and there honour to emperor and dury to commissar

Mannimarco
03-05-2011, 22:25
Id probably avoid the metal storm troopers/kasrkin. Its so much easier to build vets from the plastic kits.

Look to the bits sites for parts to really make them stand out.

High speed low drag
03-05-2011, 22:32
I make all my stormtroopers out of plastic cadian and catachan bits anyways, and beef them up with there loadouts

just a thought I had, maybe have a couple of them with the enemy weapons or leftover boltguns from the dead marines as the vets are out of ammo ect

Mannimarco
03-05-2011, 22:44
Using a mixture of Catachan and Cadian parts with extra equipment pouches would definately add to the unit looking more like a group of individuals with their own personalities rather than a bunch of identical troopers we often see in the guard.

Have you given any thought to "mini scenes" within the diorama? It might look more engaging to have a few little mini stories going on instead of everybody just blasting away. Old favourites include:

The trooper trying to drag an injured comrade back behind the lines.

The communications guy at the back trying to call for support

The coward lying face down and trying not to be seen (Ive lost count of the amount of times Ive seen the steam tank crewman used in dioramas)

High speed low drag
03-05-2011, 22:50
the only problem with the coward would be that the lord commissar would just execute him, lol as per the imperial infantrymans handbook the punishment for cowadice - death

however, having a walking wounded guy, maybe with only 1 arm in a bandage draging his comrade who has been shot or lost a leg behind cover while under cover of a sniper and the comms guy trying to radio for help, just to discover that the radio has caught a couple of rounds

Tarian
03-05-2011, 22:57
Sounds like a great idea! Looking forwards to it! And the Lord Commissar might not *see* the coward in the fray right then, especially if they're in trouble.

Project2501
03-05-2011, 22:59
the only problem with the coward would be that the lord commissar would just execute him, lol as per the imperial infantrymans handbook the punishment for cowadice - death

however, having a walking wounded guy, maybe with only 1 arm in a bandage draging his comrade who has been shot or lost a leg behind cover while under cover of a sniper and the comms guy trying to radio for help, just to discover that the radio has caught a couple of rounds

I feel the opposite.

Leave the coward in, have the comissar drawing a bead with a bolt pistol at his head.

Having that going on in the middle of a heroic last stand screams commissar to me.

High speed low drag
03-05-2011, 23:00
this is true, I could even add some humor, the lord commissar giving the coward a kick in the **** so much as to say get up and fight you muppet, and then after they are all safe or whatever they outcome execute him then, after all even a coward can fire a gun, a dead guy cant

could even have the sgt as the catachan crew member with the wrench and heavy stubber barrel as they are in the fight of their lives and the vets use every available weapon to defend themselves with