PDA

View Full Version : 2250: First Tourney with Vamps!

SilasOfTheLambs
04-05-2011, 16:20
Vampire Lord, Level 3 upgrade, Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Dread Knight, Blood Drinker, Crimson Gem of Lahmia, Cadaverous Cuirass, The Dawnstone.

Wight King BSB, the Drakenhof Banner

Vampire, Ghoulkin, Summon Ghouls, Dragoncurse Gem, Biting Blade Dispel Scroll.

40x Crypt Ghouls

29x Crypt Ghouls

29x Crypt Ghouls

5x Blood Knights, Royal Standard of Strigos, Kastellan with The Balefire Spike

Black Coach

The theory is that the vamp lord goes in the blood knights and the blood knights get into combat as fast as they can. Once there, the crimson gem serves as a budget version of Master of the Black Arts, because unless I'm fighting something faster than the vamp lord's i7, I'm quite confident with fury, hatred, and s5 he'll do at least two wounds per turn. The rest of the wounds he does will bring back any dead blood knights, meaning that all 16 of their s5/7 hatred attacks will normally get to swing.

Both walking characters go in the large unit of ghouls, which will mean that the vampire will take challenges; he'll either have a 4+ regen (against normal attacks) or a 2+ ward (against flaming attacks) at all times.

With Ghoulkin and Vanhels, I will get into the face of war machine gunlines very rapidly, and the regenerating ghouls should hold up well enough against combat armies to allow me to get the combat-winners (the coach once it's buffed, and more importantly the knights) into the combat to tilt it my way. The other ghouls are fodder, chasing down low-end infantry units or just keeping my flanks clear of all that nasty nasty CR.

Things to worry about: Obviously this list turns on the success or failure of the blood knights and their 800+ points of combat chop. Their 2+ armor save (rerollable for the vamp lord) and high toughness should be able to prevent them being wiped out entirely by shooting, and their excellent stats mean things like dwellers, pit, etc are only a marginal worry. However, a high-level casting of infernal gateway, even without the auto-kill effect (something on the order of 9 s7 hits or similar) could wipe out the unit completely, and it's also possible that they could get stuck in, say, a unit of skavenslaves and eventually dogpiled upon from all directions.

Other than that, what do folks think?

AM1640
04-05-2011, 20:45
Hi, ghoulkin is nice for mvoing the ghouls up, but how will you ensure that you will get Vanhals? You have a level 3 and a level 1. You then have to successfully cast the spell. I would also be worried about warmachines since you only have the black coach for WM hunting and it can only do that once it is powered up, if it survives that long.
If it works i.e. you cross the field and get into combat quickly, you should be able to have a very quick game, win or lose.

fusionmonkey
04-05-2011, 21:19
wraiths are needed. and where is the gravegaurd

GreenSpeed
05-05-2011, 15:13
Looks like a very solid list, leaving your general in a small unit of knights leaves you vulnerable, but that should only be an issue against warmachine heavy armies.