PDA

View Full Version : new to ogres need some help

adam-stronach
04-05-2011, 23:52
i got some stuff used and i am really bad at making army lists.:confused:
if possible some one tell what is useful and what may need?

here are the models i have:

-3x6 bulls full command
-3x4 leadbelchers
-8 iron guts full command
-6 yetis
-80 gnoblars
-1 gorger
-1 giant
-2 butchers
-1 bruiser/tyrant with great weapon
-2 bruiser/tyrant with additional han weapon
-1 hunter with two tusks
-in the process of cnverting a bsb

any help would be much obliged

Goldenwolf
05-05-2011, 04:58
Well, You have a good start. Some more Bulls, Iron Guts, and Gorgers should make your army complete. Say 6-24 Bulls, and 10 Iron Guts, with 1-2 Gorgers.

Yetis are not the greatest in this edition, but don't sell them, as a new armybook is supposedly less then a year away.

adam-stronach
05-05-2011, 05:33
i had forgotten to add the gorger in my initial list of stuff

adam-stronach
06-05-2011, 04:02
is there anyine willing and\or able to give some pros and cons about
the models i listed before?

whitemagikmarker
06-05-2011, 04:09
bulls are good solid core unit that go well with a butcher and a character in there same with ironguts, 12 leadbelchers is quite a lot so u got ur shooting covered pretty well lol, ive hardly ever used yetis or gnoblars so i cant help u with those, the rest of the units are support units so they work well in tandem with the irongut and bull infantry blocks
ur best bet is to just play as many games as u can to see what units u enjoy and which u dont

russellmoo
06-05-2011, 04:23
Something like this should serve you well-

Tyrant
Butcher

Placed in the unit of 8 ironguts

18 Bulls- (horde formation)

50 gnoblars

1-2 units of leadbelchers

Gorger

(If you like them then field the Yetis)

The strategy is simple- your tyrant+ironguts together form one hard hitting unit/bunker, your bull horde gives you another- you use the gnoblars to try and tie up anything you don't want to fight right away, while your leadbelchers provide shooting support/guard the flanks and the gorger goes after warmachines-

adam-stronach
06-05-2011, 07:11
what makes yetis so bad? how much are the hunters in game value?

minionboy
06-05-2011, 16:32
Neither of those units are going to work out well for you. The Yhettes are just too expensive for what you get, especially since they no longer pursue 3D6. Hunters are interesting, fun to use, but just don't bring the pain like they should for their cost.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the Ogre horde formation for someone just starting the army, it is severely all your eggs in one basket. I honestly have much better luck with 2 units of 8, rather than one big block. It's more maneuverable and less risky to face warmachines with.

My current 2250 ogre list is here:
Tyrant: Tenderizer, Armor of Destiny, Luck Gnoblar
Slaughtermaster: Talisman of Preservation, Luck Gnoblar

Bruiser: BSB, Lookout Gnoblar, Cathayan Longsword, heavy armor, Mawseeker, Enchanted shield, Chrown of Command

7 Bulls: Light Armor, Iron Fists, Standard, Musician, Lookout Gnoblar, Warbanner
6 Ironguts: Standard Bearer, Musician, Runemaw
38 Gnoblar Fighters
8 Gnoblar Trappers

3 Leadbelchers
3 Leadbelchers
1 Scraplauncher

2 Gorgers

Right now with that specific list, I'm winning 17-2-1, so winning 85% of the time without an ogre horde isn't bad. ;-)

The nice thing the ogre horde does give you though, is a really rock solid unit that will dish out a mountain of attacks, if it hits. If you play against a lot of good elf opponents, like I seem to do, they will delay you getting in combat a long time, out maneuver you, and in general wear you down before you can deliver. Even worse are dwarves and skaven who will just blast that unit apart with cannons, lightning cannons or the dreaded doom wheel.

adam-stronach
07-05-2011, 21:29
i played a very similar liist and got hammerd by the new tomb kings.

adam-stronach
08-05-2011, 07:34
in 2k wich is preferred slaughter master or butcher?

adam-stronach
09-05-2011, 23:34
thanks for all this advice so far

Forsak3n
10-05-2011, 09:39
in 2k wich is preferred slaughter master or butcher?

honestly at 2k its hard to get both a slaughter master and tyrant in and fully kit them out. once you get around 2400pts you could easily take both, but i would say a butcher at 2k.

regarding your models i think you have plenty of bulls and ironguts.
in 3k games i can have a unit of 6 Ironguts(Tyrant, SM, and BSB in there to in a 3x3 formation for a mini-deathstar effect) a unit of 8 Bulls w/ Ironfists and Light Armor(butcher here in 3x3 formation) and another unit of 9 Bulls w/ IF's and LA(also in 3x3 formation). it gives me 3 units with 3 ranks each, if you lose one ogre you can reform to 4x2 to gain extra attacks.

you'll definitly want to get a scraplauncher, large pie-plate with killing blow is great. maybe another gorger, and you should be fine model wise.

the hunter is really overcost for what you get(cant move and shoot with the harpon crossbow) and yhetees are very squishy(no armor or ward save).

Mid'ean
10-05-2011, 11:49
I would suggest you check out this site also. Lots of big bellies here to help a young welp on his way to becoming a Tyrant.....:evilgrin:

http://www.ogrestronghold.com/

adam-stronach
11-05-2011, 06:21
i have just orderd a scraplauncher. how about trappers any thoughts?

adam-stronach
12-05-2011, 00:28
I would suggest you check out this site also. Lots of big bellies here to help a young welp on his way to becoming a Tyrant.....:evilgrin:

http://www.ogrestronghold.com/

i coulndn't anything relating to eighth. iam not very good at
finding things on line

Forsak3n
12-05-2011, 01:12
ogrestronghold.com is all about eigth edition.

its like warseer but for ogres only.

adam-stronach
12-05-2011, 06:00
but then whats with the years?

Forsak3n
12-05-2011, 10:47
but then whats with the years?

since 8th started? summer of 2010 i think...i only started playing again in november of 2010.

so pretty much the first 10+ pages of each forum in the ogrestronghold are going to pertain to 8th edition.

sign up and send me a message(my username is Gutlord) and ill send you some good links(forum primers, army lists, tactics, etc).

adam-stronach
12-05-2011, 23:45
ill try it thanks! why is tthere next to no tactica on ogres on warseer? or least not that i can find.

muse1c
13-05-2011, 20:49
Looks like a solid list so far, just read up on tacticas to get used to the playing style is all I can say really. If you ever consdier a second Scraplauncher (I would at 2.4k+), I manged to make a nice alternative one from plastic (check my sig).
Good luck with the army

Thanks

adam-stronach
14-05-2011, 09:42
why thanks? i should thank you! so...

thank you all for the help you have given me!