PDA

View Full Version : Is the truth out there? (x-files)

Hlokk
31-05-2005, 11:17
Right, I've just watched seasons 1-7 of the x-files on dvd and I'm wondering if its worth getting the last 2 seasons, especially given the generall duffness of some of the later season's episodes (Closure and dreamland spring to mind)

so what do you reckon, give it up as a bad job or try and stick it out for another 2 seasons?

venusianfurs
31-05-2005, 12:14
From what I recall of it, I wouldn't bother. But then if you are like me, it'll just niggle at you for ages, so best to just rent the finale and get it over with.

Sojourner
31-05-2005, 12:55
The finale was rubbish. That's all I have to say. It gets rather desperate and violent with rather a lot of death, but it's not that good.

The boyz
31-05-2005, 13:50
I wouldnt bother. I only watch the X-files occasionly and from what I can remember it went pretty naff towards the last seasons.

Delicious Soy
31-05-2005, 13:53
7 was abit crap but 8 and 9 are truly irritating. Unfortunately I love the show and had to buy them anyway. Seasons 1-6 are the essential ones anyway.

DisruptorX
31-05-2005, 13:59
Agreed, the last two seasons aren't worth your time. 7 is ok, but after that it just goes downhill and fast.

m1s1n
31-05-2005, 17:57
This might be my own DVD addiction speaking here, but how can you only own PART of a series??

If we're discussing rentals here, then I don't see a problem with leaving before the show got terrible.

Wintermute
31-05-2005, 18:46
I have all nine seasons on both VHS and dvd, but must admit to not watching seasons all of 8 or 9 yet.

Yes the last two episodes of the show are lame, but that can be said for most of the alien conspiracy episodes.

The X-files out-stayed its welcome and should have ended with Season 7. Once the mystery of the disappearance of Mulder's sister had been cleared up the show had no reason to continue.

Christina
31-05-2005, 21:57
Watching the last couple of seasons was like watching a dead man shamble around, wishing someone would bury him.

The actors seemed tired, the series seemed tired, watching it was an exercise in boredom.

nevermore
01-06-2005, 09:54
7 was abit crap but 8 and 9 are truly irritating. Unfortunately I love the show and had to buy them anyway. Seasons 1-6 are the essential ones anyway.

Heresy!! :mad:

You obviously did not understand the final two seasons, they are better than the first 7 by a mile, better acting, plotlines, sfx. And Robert patrick is a god.

Hlokk
01-06-2005, 10:57
In what way are 8-9 crap then? Just bad acting, or bad story lines or what?

Also, is the guy that plays agent dogett (I think thats his name) The same guy that was in Terminator 2?

Delicious Soy
01-06-2005, 11:25
Okay time for a proper x-file fan to educate the screaming masses, not some johnny come lately Season 8 watcher :p

*Looks at nevermore*

The X-File began as an intelligent show, relatively well researched, with good actors. The storyline was centred around Mulder, with Scully providing our view of him. Let me say this again:

MULDER WAS THE CONERSTONE OF THE BLOODY SHOW!

Ahem :p

So basically Season 8 rolls around, the series is tired, it never topped season 4 (though 5 was pretty close and 6 was still X-Filean although it did get a sense of fun inseveral epsiodes, which wasn't a bad thing). Duchovny wanted out. The last episode of Season 7 had been planned as a possible end. Carter is dumb enough to keep going, mainly because the show had well and truly crossed from cult to mainstream.

What we see in Season 8, and especially season 9, is the degredation of everything the show orginally was. The new characters were complete twits who's stupidly annoyed most fans. Gone was the Oxford psychology graduate and the medical examiner and in came a 'mean strret's cop come FBI agent and an 'expert' in theology, who sung whale songs. WHALE SONGS!

Then these pair of ****** go about and each time something wierd happened there was the following banter:

Monica: I believe this occurred unquestioningly!

Doggett: Where's your proof?

Monica: Ermmm..... I have no theory.....

Doggett: Well despite obvious wierd **** happening in front of me, I refuse to believe it!

Monica: Well then whats your theory?

Doggett: I'm a cop, wierd stuff never happens! Lalalalalalalala, I'm not listening!

Then they made a finale that made no sense whatsoever. Hence the show died.

I still have all the seasons on DVD though :p

nevermore
01-06-2005, 11:55
R.Patrick is an infinitely better actor than monotone duchovney.

Mulder, cornerstone my ass, scully was a far more important role in the series' development, even rat boy is more interesting than mulder. :rolleyes:

Delicious Soy
01-06-2005, 12:01
It's called understatement. The Mulder and Scully had them as almost equals, but it was Mulders drive that gave the show meaning. Scully was the observer, she only became more important than Mulder after he left.

Patrick wasn't bad but his character was hopeless. All he did was deny everything without anything to back him up, basically he was the idiot version of Scully, Monica was an idiot Mulder.

nevermore
01-06-2005, 12:05
LMAO :D

Idiot Mulder!! gotta remember that one!