PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Tyrant Loadout opinions and alternatives sought

whitemagikmarker
07-05-2011, 10:23
hi guys, with all this new speak of ogres looking to be stampeding over everything soon i got the urge to start looking over my army and my army list. while reworking my army list i began to make my tyrant and found a combo i am really starting to like, here it is (yes im sure others have already figured it out BUT ITS NEW TO ME SO :P )

Tyrant with Armor of silvered steel + Talisman of Protection + mawseeker + great weapon, so he will have 5 strength 7 attacks which is great plus he will have Toughness 6 and a 2+ 4++ which will irritate my group to no end mawahahaha! plus i simply love the mawseeker big name its my fav hands down. what do u guys think? any alternative u guys use?

Jinxies
07-05-2011, 10:37
Personally I'd think Mawseeker, Trickster's Helm, Wyrdstone Necklace, Potion of Strength + Ironfist would be fun :P

T6, enemy rerolls wounds, 3+ armour, 5+ ward and S8 when you need it :p

ftayl5
07-05-2011, 10:57
Mawseeker and Tricksters Helm + other herbs and spices to taste

T6 re-roll successful wounds. I think I calculated you needed about 70 S4 attacks to do 1 wound... (mathematically)

No ward is necessary for him and I'd rather the helm of command (stubborn) because although you wont kill him in combat, if he runs away coz you killed all of his mates, he'll get run down and all the other protection was a waste.

Also I'd suggest Cathayan Longswords, IMO they're the best choice.

WarmbloodedLizard
07-05-2011, 11:10
I pretty much always run my Tyrant with:

Mawseeker, Wyrdstone (or 5+ BRB Ward), Trickster's Helm, HA, GW

The one you mentioned (Mawseeker, Silvered Steel, Preservation, GW) is:
-worse vs. S5 or lower; HKB; vs. S7 and lower for things that ignores armor
-equal vs. S6
-better vs. S7+; vs. poison attack

@ftayl5: Crown of Command is on my BSB in the second rank. :) (Mawseeker, CoC, ES, HA, BSB)

librerian_samae
07-05-2011, 18:08
I run cathyan longsword, greyback pelt, glitering scales (weapon skill 7 and -2 to hit) and mawseeker (toughness 6).

Thats most things hitting on 6's and then wounding on 5's/6's then add in bonus to toughness/strength from a nearby butcher and its funny to no end watching him wadding through stuff :p

Forsak3n
07-05-2011, 18:16
Mawseeker(toughness 6), Maw Gut(if you kill an eney in a challenge you regain their amount of wounds back, if fully healed add +1 wound to profile), Tali of endurance(5+ wardsave), Sword of Anti-Heroes(+1 strength and attack per enemy character in contact with unit), Heavy Armor, Ironfist.

3+ armorsave 5+ wardsave, toughness 6, can regain wounds, adds strength and attacks when going after units with characters. when buffed this guy is a machine.

madden
07-05-2011, 18:31
I run mine with crown of command, gold sword, enchant shield and heavy armour cheapish fast and he's generaly strong and tough enough not to need extra boosts.
Optimal prob not but less spent on him the more boots on the ground I can have, or extra kit for the butcher/slaughtermaster if I take him.

Orktavius
07-05-2011, 18:43
I run my tyrant with sword of bloodshed, enchanted shield and if I feel like bringing a giant giant breaker cause I love having 8 S6 attacks >.> otherwise I take mawseeker and live with 8 S5 attacks :P

Agoz
07-05-2011, 19:20
I generally run a tyrant with the sword of anti-heroes, glittering scales armor, greyback pelt, and mawseeker bigname. This gives him a bonus for every enemy character in base contact with his unit (7 str 7 attacks for a unit with a bsb and general! for 30 points!), and makes everything attacking him take a -2 penalty to hit, and even if they do hit, toughness six will make it difficult to wound.

ghost21
07-05-2011, 19:26
doesnt mawseeker give stupidity?

Agoz
07-05-2011, 19:31
yeah, +1 toughness and stupidity, but with a bsb, its a non-issue really.

ghost21
07-05-2011, 21:31
i would probably go with giantbreaker

ftayl5
07-05-2011, 22:37
@ftayl5: Crown of Command is on my BSB in the second rank. :) (Mawseeker, CoC, ES, HA, BSB)

Yeah, I know quite a few people like to give it to Butchers or similar - which is probably a good idea.

Giantbreaker is nice with a Cathayan LS or an Ironfist but the downside is you have to take a giant which, IMO, is a bad use of points.

theunwantedbeing
07-05-2011, 22:41
Giantbreaker Big Name, Sword of Bloodshed, Enchanted Sheild
Heavy Armour, Two Sword Gnoblars, Potion of Speed.

8 St6 attacks is fairly handy
Plus one turn he can have in7

The main downside would be the need to include a giant in the army but they're not that bad really.
They hit combat, most likely doing d6 st6 hits, then a further d6 st6 thunderstomp.
Not that bad, plus he's a big missile fire magnet to draw some heat from your tyrant(and his unit).

Morkash
08-05-2011, 13:34
I like following build:
Tyrant with Heavy Armour, Giantbreaker, Sword of Swift Slaying, Talisman of Preservation and Enchanted Shield

He got a solid 3+/4++ save and 5 Str 6 attacks with ASF, with Ini 4 he might actually get rerolls sometimes! I prefer Giantbreaker over Mawseeker, because I tend to fail my stupidity tests even with reroll. ;)
If you want to save points, you can take away the Swift Slaying thingy and throw in the Cathayan Long Sword (maybe the other Trickster's Shard or a potion).

IGoblinego
09-05-2011, 09:45
I loved when my Siegebreaker Tyrant got FATALITY against 30 man Ironbreaker unit.
Give that beast a try.

Lord Inquisitor
09-05-2011, 15:04
I like the defensive builds a lot. In the end, I just needed something to smash steam tanks with and what I settled on was:

Mawseeker
Heavy armour
Tenderiser
Potion of Strength
Helm of 2+ ward vs flaming

Respectable T6 and 4+ armour is generally good enough defense against most things. Tenderiser allows him to wallop big things (he tag-teams with an other trickster's shard wielding bruiser, which is why he has no Ward save himself) and the potion of strength gives him S10 and D3 wounds per hit, re-rolling successful wards. That puts a dent in most big gribblies, bells, steam tanks, etc.

EnternalVoid
10-05-2011, 02:29
I like following build:
Tyrant with Heavy Armour, Giantbreaker, Sword of Swift Slaying, Talisman of Preservation and Enchanted Shield

Might try at some point dropping the Talisman of Preseservation down to the Talisman of Endurance and try him with the other trickster's shard. Sure his ward save drops to 5+ rather than 4+, but S6 ASF with them having to reroll ward saves is pretty nice. Also the ogre kingdom army has few ward saves so you don't have to worry so much about effecting your own people.

I really have gone for three builds for my Tyrant. The first is the Tenderizer, Wyrdstone necklace, Mawseeker, and Other Trickster's Shard. Effectively a character/monster destroyer with some protection. The slight variation is the Tenderizer, Talisman of Endurance, Mawseeker, and the Dragonhelm for a 4+ armor save and a 2+ ward against flaming attacks.

The last one is much like others have said, was Mawseeker, crown of command, and the helm that makes them reroll to wounds. It was a campaign with some different and limited character options. Also alot of people were running around with the Other Trickster's Shard at that time in our group. Thus guy of course had a GW and Heavy Armor too.

Baron Von Rotten
10-05-2011, 03:22
Has anybody ever used the potion of healing(d6 wounds) on their Tyrant?

Forsak3n
10-05-2011, 05:25
Has anybody ever used the potion of healing(d6 wounds) on their Tyrant?

i prefer the gut maw, gives +1 to his armor save and when the tyran kills someone in a challenge(be it a lord, hero, or champion) he regains that number of wounds back. if the tyrant hasnt lost any wounds then he adds +1 wound to his profile, and you can do that for every challenge during the battle.

Rochr
10-05-2011, 15:03
Like most said, Mawseeker, Tricksters Helm... almost mandatory since its just too good. People should look into Longswords more, +1 WS +1I and Armour Piercing is great for a mere 10 points. Makes you hit most stuff on 3s too except for elves/chaos lords. Spice him up with stuff like Brahmin Statue if you play alot against Chaos/Skaven. Put him in a unit that causes Terror *cough* Slaughtermaster with Mask of Eee! *cough* and laugh as 50 man skaven blocks or expensive Chaos Warriors w/o mark of khorne run off the board from your charges.

Lord Inquisitor
10-05-2011, 17:01
i prefer the gut maw, gives +1 to his armor save and when the tyran kills someone in a challenge(be it a lord, hero, or champion) he regains that number of wounds back. if the tyrant hasnt lost any wounds then he adds +1 wound to his profile, and you can do that for every challenge during the battle.

Does this work well for you? I find he's rarely enough in challenges, and it seems a bit expensive. Then again, I guess if you challenge every combat phase you could eat up plenty of champions...

Forsak3n
11-05-2011, 05:37
Does this work well for you? I find he's rarely enough in challenges, and it seems a bit expensive. Then again, I guess if you challenge every combat phase you could eat up plenty of champions...

if i challenge a few times as soon as i enter combat(when fully healed) i end up adding a few wounds to my profile. so by the time i get into a challenge with his general, bsb, etc. they are facing a tyrant with toughness 6(mawseeker) with at least 6 attacks at strength 6(sword of anti-heroes) and 6 or 7 wounds on his profile(due to gut maw). he's a tough nut to crack, i havent lost him yet.