PDA

View Full Version : First try at 8th Ed. Empire 2.5k/3k

Johnnyfrej
07-05-2011, 13:25
So here is my first go at Empire.
It's going with a Reik theme, specifically around the goddess Myrimida and the Knights of the Blazing Sun. Mainly black clothing, red for secondary and bronze/gold for metals.

Myrimida's symbol is a shield with a spear behind it, so going to try to get those in.

Here is my foundation as is:

Horde of 55 Halberdiers (7x8) 300
-Full Command
+Detachment of 25 Swordsmen (5x4) 120
+Detachment of 20 Crossbowmen 10x2 160

Warrior Priest 90
Unit of 41 Halberdiers (6x7) 230
-Full Command

Warrior Priest 90
Unit of 41 Halberdiers (6x7) 230
-Full Command

Great Cannon and Mortar 175
Engineer 65

Great Cannon and Mortar 175
Engineer 65

Due to the FAQ an Engineer can remain within 3'' of a Warmachine and still get LOS in addition to re-rolling one Misfire. Each pair will be placed close with the Engineer within 3'' of both.

Leaves me with 2240. Prefer to make it 2.5k but can expand to 3k to make it fit.

My idea is taking a Arch Lector as General, with a BSB and him leading the horde of Halberdiers. Each of the other two parent units gets a Warrior Priest. After the two Engineers remaining points will either get a Wizard or more odds and ends.

Kalandros
07-05-2011, 17:19
3 Blocks is too few for an empire army. Its not sound to just spam halberdiers.

Wesser
07-05-2011, 17:48
Unwieldy and overusing the hatred special rule...hardly an interesting list

Personally I also like to bring a throw-away detachment for each units with which to impede the enemy's advance.

I also tend to include some hitty units like flagellants to act as the flank hitters instead of detachments.

your list basally dont have a movement phase or magic phase, its basically hoping you oll better dice

Okuto
07-05-2011, 18:14
That feels......very compact....it's be a unwieldy army to march about.....

if your' just gonna smash into the enemy I dont think you need the crossbows....and I'd drop the detachments to take more blocks.....those units are gonna be a huge footprint......

Boreas_NL
07-05-2011, 18:47
Personally I also like to bring a throw-away detachment for each units with which to impede the enemy's advance.
Yes, that's a good tactic. I field two detachements of 'expendable five' (five Free Company) who run as fast towards the enemy as they can... Acting as speedbump and angling enemy units.

Those hordes need to be deployed at least ten models wide to benefit from the special rules. Giving two of them a Warrior Priest is a very good idea! Hatred and hordes are a nice combo!

The list looks quite solid, but I think you forgot one of the main strengths of an Empire army, it's diversity! Trade one of the blocks of Halberdiers for something else. Huntsmen, Outriders, Pistoliers and Greatswords all have their uses and could fit in very well in your list. Maybe trade a Cannon and Mortar for another Warmachine like a Helblaster or Helstorm...

Okuto
07-05-2011, 18:58
Most empire players(except me) swear by a huge block of goldswords.....as they are cheap as chips and lay a big hurt on people. I personally use 30 flaggies cause they were cheaper money wise.

Wouldn't take huntsmen....archers maybe as a screen....not like the old days. Pistoliers are so-so, I only take them as fillers as I don't have enough state troops to bulk out my army.

YEs I agree that if you're going to use detachments just throw them away as thats what they're best for, other than that they are a liability

Johnnyfrej
17-05-2011, 16:44
Here is my newest list:

Arch Lector (general) 210
-Dawn Armor
-Charm Shield
-Holy Relic
3+ Armor re-rolling fails, 4+ Ward

BSB Captain 125
-Meteoric Armor
-Dawnstone
1+ Armor re-rolling fails (can get 4+ Ward from Lector's prayer)

50 Halberdiers 270
-horde, 10x5
-command
+detachment of 25 Swordsmen, 5x5
-------
Warrior Priest 142
-Shield
-Armor of Destiny
4+ Armor, 4+ Ward

50 Halberdiers 270
-horde, 10x5
-command
+detachment of 24 Swordsmen, 5x5
-------
Warrior Priest 141
-Heavy Armor
-Shield
-Talismen of Preservation
4+ Armor, 4+ Ward

50 Halberdiers 270
-horde, 10x5
-command
+detachment of 24 Swordsmen, 5x5
--------
Mortar 75
Engineer 65
Great Cannon 100
--------
Mortar 75
Engineer 65
Great Cannon 100
--------
16 Handgunners 8x2
-Musician
-Marksmen with Hochland
--------
16 Handgunners 8x2
-Musician
-Marksmen with Hochland
--------
16 Handgunners 8x2
-Musician
-Marksmen with Hochland
--------
16 Handgunners 8x2
-Musician
-Marksmen with Hochland

total 2998

Deployment roughly looks like:
[Hg]_[H w/ WP]_[S]_[Hg]_[H w/ AL+BSB]_[S]_[Hg]_[H w/ WP]_[S]_[Hg]
behind one Mortar and Great Cannon are paired with each Engineer:
____________[M][E][GC]____________[M][E][GC]

Has four additional dispell dice due to Priests

What do you think?

Boreas_NL
17-05-2011, 19:59
This list looks very solid indeed! Big blocks of Halberdiers, supported by Swordsmen, very good! Maybe it's a good idea to drop one of the Handgunner units and turn the other three in detachments for the Halberdiers. You'll save enough points for another unit (may I suggest Pistoliers or Hunsmen?)...

Good thinking on fielding four Priests. Nobody like's Mages...

My only comment would be that it lacks diversity (one of the strenths of an Empire army in my opinion)...