PDA

View Full Version : Why High Elf Eagles rock.

hlaine larkin
07-05-2011, 17:10
No one fears them. simple as that. my eagles are frequently my MVP and i shall tell you why...

People assume your eagles march block, so don't do anything to them alot, usually there are bigger issues.

here is the tactic that makes them worth a tonne of points. As i have a big unit of swordmasters with a bsb, these guys are the target. about 2 months ago i found myself with just them and seaguard, the sea guard were well away. MY opponent was WOC, and had a unit of chose and 21 warriors ready to hit my flank, in front of me was a unit of 10 marauders and behind that a unit of warriors with his lvl 4 sorcerer and behind that a hell cannon, the idea being i would have to charge the marauders to 'atleast get some points'

from my experience this kind of ambush is common with things like swordmasters, they force you to over run into a unit, then bundle you with everything. well. this is where eagles come in.

Cascading charges. simples as that, they are essentially a 50 point item which let you fight 2 rounds of combat. What happened in this case was my swordmasters charged his marauders and the eagle charged his warriors with sorcerer. He laughed it off, saying i was 'desperate' so as my swordmasters made nordic paté of his marauders, they then charged through to the warriors, he was of course happy, i had run into his 'trap' however, he forgot the eagle.

In the ensuing cascading charge, my swordmasters wiped out his unit and broke through to his hellcannon, out of the charge arcs and range of his 2 units set up to charge.

so remember- for 50 points, it's a helluva model- lets you fight 2 combats at once, because with a 20inch mover, odds are you will get in.

Matt.Wood88
07-05-2011, 17:28
I'll tell you why I'm scared of them, they take out my mangled squids far too easily! Grr, annoys me sometimes... But ah well, I'll just magic them!
Cheers
Matt

GreenSpeed
07-05-2011, 18:24
Nicely played, they are very useful especially with the demise of fast cav.

hlaine larkin
07-05-2011, 18:29
thank you, it was a flukey idea but i think it works, even if it is to throw an opponent out of swing, as they just don't see it coming.

Citadel97501
07-05-2011, 20:10
thank you, it was a flukey idea but i think it works, even if it is to throw an opponent out of swing, as they just don't see it coming.

Glad to see someone else uses them like that, its really efficient. I like to also use them to get chaos knights and other frenzied nasties, to be deflected for 50 points, giving me a flank charge allowing me to only have to fight 1 rank of guys. I love doing that with a small unit of White Lions. I have wiped out a unit of 12 chaos knights with that trick a couple times.

hlaine larkin
07-05-2011, 20:12
i did that before 8th, but now frenzy doesnt much happen much these days. as you have to test before you chase with frenzy, so i had t ocome up with a better way to use them :)

YoungKing
07-05-2011, 21:56
Sorry, I'm a High Elf noob, just curious as to what you mean by cascading charges, and I'm trying to figure out what role the eagles played exactly here.

Gabacho Mk.II
07-05-2011, 22:03
^^^^^^ Likewise. ^^^^^^^

hlaine larkin
07-05-2011, 22:10
Sorry, I'm a High Elf noob, just curious as to what you mean by cascading charges, and I'm trying to figure out what role the eagles played exactly here.

Basically, if a unit over runs into a combat that is unfought, it can fight again.

So, if my sword masters are engaged in a fight and win (and the enemy flee's or is killed) they can over run. if they over run into a unit, they have charged. However, the combat is not fought until the next turn.

this means i am stuck there whilst my enemy can spring their trap and charge me with many units.

However, if my eagle has charged into the second unit (the one the swordmasters over run into) then it is not a unit, it is a combat. This means, if i do the swordmasters combat first, then they over run into this combat, they can fight again and win against a mismatched opponent, who was only there to hold the SM's until my opponents next turn, so my swordmasters get to kill them.

so, as the eagle charged the second unit, it meant my swordmasters got to fight and kill them, then either over run out of the trap my opponent set, or reform (but by being on average 7 inches forward, it means they cannot be flanked due to charge arcs)

is that any better?

hlaine larkin
07-05-2011, 22:17
My opponent is being clever, and throwing away, in this example 10 marauders, because whether i over run or reform, i get hit in the front,side and back.

however, if the eagle charges the unit i over run into, i get to fight that combat too, and thus either run away, or reform to face the opponent behind me. This means (due to charge arcs) at worse, i take the 2 units in a frontal fight which i am much better suited to win :)

scarletsquig
07-05-2011, 23:00
Heh, that's really smart. Cascading charges is something a lot of people forget about. I'll keep that in mind!

YoungKing
08-05-2011, 02:51
Yeah that makes sense now, thanks.

Neat little trick I'll definitely keep in mind!

Gabacho Mk.II
08-05-2011, 03:55
Basically, if a unit over runs into a combat that is unfought, it can fight again.

So, if my sword masters are engaged in a fight and win (and the enemy flee's or is killed) they can over run. if they over run into a unit, they have charged. However, the combat is not fought until the next turn.

this means i am stuck there whilst my enemy can spring their trap and charge me with many units.

However, if my eagle has charged into the second unit (the one the swordmasters over run into) then it is not a unit, it is a combat. This means, if i do the swordmasters combat first, then they over run into this combat, they can fight again and win against a mismatched opponent, who was only there to hold the SM's until my opponents next turn, so my swordmasters get to kill them.

so, as the eagle charged the second unit, it meant my swordmasters got to fight and kill them, then either over run out of the trap my opponent set, or reform (but by being on average 7 inches forward, it means they cannot be flanked due to charge arcs)

is that any better?

Thanks.

I am quite familiar with this, but I didnt understand the assigned term. :p

Djekar
09-05-2011, 06:29
For clarifications sake - if you fight a second round of combat in the same phase aren't you prohibited from pursuing/overrunning after the second? For example, in your OP the swordmasters, while they would have been able to break the unit that the eagle charged, would not have been able to get out of the entrapping unit's charge archs because they would be limited to a simple reform. Still works wonders if they are only planning to flank you with a single unit though.

Fnords
09-05-2011, 07:35
My best Great Eagle moment.

Wood Elves VS Daemons of Chaos in 8th ed.

Blood and Glory scenario round 6. Bloodthirster with full 5 wounds. My Great Eagle 22”
away on a hill. I decided to do a last desperate move, I charge, roll 3 6’s complete the
charge. Bloodthirster misses/fails to wound on all attacks. Great Eagle manages 1 wound.
Bloodthirster loses combat and rolls double 6’s and dies. Not only getting me loads of VP
but also turning a sure loss into a win.