PDA

View Full Version : Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh! or Armour of Gork?

russellmoo
09-05-2011, 04:06
So I'm running a black orc warboss on a boar, he will usually be running around with 10 boar boyz and I want to mess around with one of the 100 pt magic items from the new army book. So the question is which should I give to my warboss, if you want you can post why.

P.S. I'm not concerned with optimal builds, best way to field a warboss, etc.

Jind_Singh
09-05-2011, 04:24
Well if he's on a boar, heavy armour, and a shield, he's already got a 2+ save hasn't he?

5+ boar
3+ with heavy armour
2+ with shield

So if he has his nice 2+ save, he's already at T5, stick with the Battle Axe of the Last Waaagh for craziness!

ftayl5
09-05-2011, 05:35
I would prefer neither but the Battle Axe is in my opinion, better.
This is because whilst being Toughness 6-8 is great, what's simply going to happen is no-one will be directing their attacks at him because it'll be pointless. And if you challenge, it'll just get accepted by a champion who wouldn't be able to kill a Warboss anyway.
So you're effectively paying 100pts for D6 Impact hits....

Battle Axe is a much better choice.
Everything Jind said is valid too.

Djekar
09-05-2011, 06:24
I agree with the 2 wise posters above me. Battleaxe is going to give you more bang for your buck.

GreenSpeed
09-05-2011, 13:47
Battle axe as well, just a warning though if your boars fail animosity your warboss could end up killing a few of them which is ok if he's leading regular orcs, but boar boys are expensive and few in numbers

Wade Wilson
09-05-2011, 14:01
The BlOrc warboss can make good use of the battleaxe as he has a high Ws so even reduced by 3 if you roll a 6-6 he still has a decent Ws.

Alternativly you could give him bashas axe, the +2 armour save shield and the talisman of protection...giving him a 1+/4++, S6(7 first turn of combat)armour piercing and A5 all for the same price as the battleaxe or armour...

watch out for those pesky animosity tests though. That blorc will do more damage to your boar boys then the enemy with his quell animosity rule...

russellmoo
09-05-2011, 15:08
@Wade Wilson- that is actually my regular build with him- but I wanted to try the 100pt items out-

The animosity could be a problem, but the boar boyz are there to help him get into combat where he needs to be- apparently players are little scared of orc warbosses (with the exception of demons, and WoC) so it has been hard getting the most out of him- my goal here is to either use him to hunt down monsters, or allow him to charge in after the boyz have gone in and crush whatever unit they are fighting, with either a lot of attacks (battleaxe) or impact hits (a of g) plus calling the Waaagh!

Malorian
09-05-2011, 17:00
Battleaxe for sure.

You are running an offensive unit so make it offensive. Odds are they are going to target the unit anyway and hope the warboss breaks so add some killing power to ensure he will hold out even on his own.

BigbyWolf
09-05-2011, 18:46
Another one for the battle-axe. I like Boar Boyz, but they'll never be the "hittiest" unit out there. Sticking a character in them that can really churn out the damage makes them a lot more viable.

Interesting that none of those that voted for the Armour have stated why...

ThrowN
09-05-2011, 19:14
Just a note, new FAQ states that the choppa bonus applies to the Armour of Gork as well. I'm yet to try it on my wyvern.

But definitly Battleaxe in your build.

stashman
09-05-2011, 23:30
So I'm running a black orc warboss on a boar, he will usually be running around with 10 boar boyz and I want to mess around with one of the 100 pt magic items from the new army book. So the question is which should I give to my warboss, if you want you can post why.

P.S. I'm not concerned with optimal builds, best way to field a warboss, etc.

Ok, why not test both in diffrent games?

Axe can be devastating with 10 S10 attacks, that can really make a diffrence.

The armour makes D6 S6 impact hits, and thats better than a chariot, so a savage orc warboss with the armour deals out D6 S6 hits + 5 S7 attacks on the turn he charges with a spear on boar - thats impressive!!! Bringing down big monsters by himself.

EDIT: Get a greataxe and smash out 5 S8 attacks instead!!!

Question: Do Flaming Attacks banner count for the Impact Hits? Then regen monster will fear the one-man-tank-charger! :D

russellmoo
10-05-2011, 04:11
Question: Do Flaming Attacks banner count for the Impact Hits? Then regen monster will fear the one-man-tank-charger! :D

This is actually the reason I've been contemplating Armour of Gork

And it's also partly just a question of which to try first-

Wade Wilson
10-05-2011, 10:02

Actualy that a pretty damn good idea if you are expecting multiple HPAs or War Hydras...sudeenly your unit of boar boyz are wrecking a beastie before it can even attack. I forgot boar boys get a magic standard. Itl be expensive but in larger games (were you can expect 2+ regen beasties) it could be quite nasty.

you cooould go cheaper and have a bsb on a chariot with flaming banner...but then you would have a bsb on a chariot...not the best of ideas...

Malorian
10-05-2011, 12:29
Well flaming attacks don't cross over onto magical weapons so I wouldn't think it works on impact hits from the armor...

At any rate, a warboss with 10 str 10 attacks makes short work of a hydra anyway ;)

Wade Wilson
10-05-2011, 14:47
Well flaming attacks don't cross over onto magical weapons so I wouldn't think it works on impact hits from the armor...

At any rate, a warboss with 10 str 10 attacks makes short work of a hydra anyway ;)

hmmm...you could be right...i wonder if that would get FAQd in the next round (many months from now alas)? Haha, a fair point that the battleaxe would probably make a mess of a hydra or hpa anyways (unless it got crazy lucky with regen rolls).

The flaming impact hits if it is legal could be pretty damn epic...as it is not a magical attacks could you have a unit of 3 goblin chariots with a goblin boss bsb with the flaming banner...thats a helluva lot of flaming impact hits! (again, i wouldnt really recomend a bsb on a chariot...but hey)

Tedurur
10-05-2011, 15:04
For a BlOrc Id go with the Axe but for a Savage Orc The armour looks quite OK (voted Axe obviously :) )