PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Man O' War Models

Easy E
09-05-2011, 15:30
Greetings,

I was wondering what some people out there use for Alternate Man O' War models since the real deal can be pretty tough to find.

Fell free to post links up as well.

Ironmonger
09-05-2011, 15:52
Here are the best I've been able to find in the same scale: http://greenforesttradingco.com/
Only sells a few fleets, but those could basically pass as the same models from GW.

Easy E
11-05-2011, 12:43
Thanks.

How do Spartan Games models (You know, Uncharted Seas) stack up?

Ironmonger
12-05-2011, 05:16
I believe that US are 1/600 scale, so much larger then Man O'War scale, which is somewhere around 1/1200. That being said, there's nothing stopping you from using their models in MoW. From what I can gather the rules to US are essentially a redux of the MoW rules anyway.

BigRob
15-05-2011, 18:55
Here are the best I've been able to find in the same scale: http://greenforesttradingco.com/
Only sells a few fleets, but those could basically pass as the same models from GW.

Hmmm they look familiar :shifty:

I don't recall there being a Lizardman fleet in any of the journals, so there is an open oppertunity for some rules writing. Shame they don't have better pictures.

Ironmonger
16-05-2011, 00:19
Theseaofclaws yahoo group has some rules for the Lizzies that are well thought out, fair and balanced.

New Cult King
16-05-2011, 04:44
You might also want to look at Spartan Games' ship minis for Unchartered Seas.

D'oh, learn to read threads before posting, NCK.

I have a mate who plays M'oW and he uses the Unchartered Seas minis with great success. I don't know how they compare scale-wise though as I never saw any of GW's ships in the flesh when they were available.

Ironmonger
16-05-2011, 06:03
The Uncharted Seas ships are about twice as large (I believe!) as the MoW ships. Then again, nothing stopping anybody from using them. If GW made MoW ships now, they'd probably still be using the 1:1200 scale, but would be making them much larger. Some of the old MoW ships were pretty massive; the Black Ark is about the size of a Battleship in BFG! However, most of the ships are pretty small (Dwarf and Orc ships in particular are kinda whimpy... especially the Orc Hulk! When I scratch build my Orc fleet my 4 Hulks are going to be about " long and 2" wide: that's twice the size of the original!).

Easy E
16-05-2011, 15:13
Since I have never really seen any ships in person, can someone give me some rough measure meants for some of the basic Empire ships that I can work from?

Ironmonger
17-05-2011, 00:45
Since I have never really seen any ships in person, can someone give me some rough measure meants for some of the basic Empire ships that I can work from?

I'll post a scale picture sometime tonight. ;)

New Cult King
17-05-2011, 01:04
I know Spartan's Firestorm Armada ships are quite massive - one of their battleships is as long as a CD is wide :eek: So I can only imagine their naval ships are quite big too...

Hubman
17-08-2011, 08:11
The Uncharted Seas models aren't very nice if you ask me! I much prefer expensive orginal models purchased on Ebay (my fleets are just about complete now, with well over a hundred ships, most coming from Ebay and for reasonable prices too - diligence sometimes leads to lucky wins!). The Green Forest trading Company models were a shock to me: they appear as somewhat blatant copies perhaps, but seeing as GW used historical examples extensively themselves, they probably cannot sue them. So yes, they would make for an affordable alternative.

I have some of Rod Langton's ancient miniatures that I intend to include in a historical Carthaginian diorama. These quinqueremes in 1/1200 scale could represent Norse ships even though the original ones are bigger. Trading galleys and sailing vessels could represent merchant shipping in the MoW game. You can find his goods at www.rodlangton.com.

Kind regards,

Hubman

BigRob
17-08-2011, 10:05
Love to see some photos of the fleets Hubman, I agree eBay can be excellent if your willing to wait and play the long game. Alas alot of the MOW stuff is brought up by the sellers who whip it back on at stupid prices.

Hubman
18-08-2011, 07:24
Well I really got lucky a few times. One seller eventually gave me about 6 ships for free, including a couple of Galleons! With this same vendor I was about the first to notice a good Buy me now offer, which I took without questioning! The seller could have had more if he'd split the fleets up or if he had assigned a higher Buy me now price - got a few steals there...:cool:

Most of the ships I own are undercoated but not painted. An also sizeable part hasn't been put together yet or has been stripped of paint and returned to "as new" conditions. I purchased a few painted detachments, mostly HE, Bretonnia and perhaps some more. A few plastic Wargalleys are painted somewhat but look absolutely terrible. The only ships that I painted myself are my original 13 Dwarf vessels. I might put pictures up if I can manage though I must say that I am considering repainting them in an all grey scheme so I can re-use their current green scheme in my Empire fleet.:eyebrows:

Kind regards,

Hubman

BigRob
18-08-2011, 14:42
eBay does reward the very patient, especially with stuff like MOW. I always felt alot of the "GW official" colourschemes were a bit OTT for the models. Having said that the original Brets stuff was gorgeous.

Hubman
18-08-2011, 19:58
I've done an inventory check on my MoW ship collection and the results are beyond even my own estimates!:p

Here's the numbers, with ships/flyers separated by a slash

Dwarfs: 24/6
High Elves: 38/15
Empire: 33/3 (plus 39 plastic starter set Wargalleys for a total of 72 ships!)
Bretonnia: 34/3
Norse: 8/0
Dark Elves: 4/0

Total: 141 metal ships, 39 plastic ships and 24 flyers. I am amazed myself as I hadn't thought it would go much beyond 120-130 total. Of the plastic Wargalleys some will be sold or used as pirates or even wreckage (12 are damaged to a state where they will be bothersome to repair), but for now I've counted them among my Empire.

Parts of other fleets, notably the High Elves will be put on sale after I'm done painting and know which ones can stay.

Tomorrow I shall try and put up pictures of my unfinished Dwarf fleet.

Kind regards,

Hubman