PDA

View Full Version : Parasite of mortrex, your view

High speed low drag
09-05-2011, 21:55
Hi guys, was just loking through the nid codex as my 15yr old daughter has just finished watching alien and now want to start collecting a nid army with the alien feel. I said I would help as I have been playing 40k since I was a lad, I came across the parasite and read the rules, rippers bursting out of outflankers, spawning free ripper bases and all attacks made make rippers and thought this was very much in the theme of alien and the way they produce young. I just wonderd what the seers thought of this model as im not sure if it has a place in the world of 5th ed

any help would be great

whitemagikmarker
09-05-2011, 22:09
lol ya aliens will do that to a person

i have not used the parasite yet but i have intentions to when a model becomes available by gw, having said that just going off his stats and abilities he seems like an uber prime or something and goes a long way to making rippers appealing in an army for me so i think at the very least maybe proxy him in a game, i assume he is atleast on a 40mm base. if u do end up proxying him post about his preformance id love to hear how he turned out

Bestaltan
09-05-2011, 22:40
For his points, he's situational at best, and just plain bad at worst. Ripper swarms are often a liability more than a help in some scenarios (especially kill point scenarios) and his stat line just doesn't fit with his point cost.

If you want to keep with the alien theme, model a tervigon to look like the queen alien. Better rules, better synergy with the rest of the army, and the fluff still fits.

wyvirn
09-05-2011, 22:59
The parasite just doesn't work that well in the general metagame of 5th. Too easily killed, not enough offence, and the more it kill, the more it hurts you. That said, he's not an instant loss if you take him, especially for a friendlier game.
Food for though: the old 3rd ed Hive Tyrant looked a lot like the alien queen, from what I recall. Go with that if you want a competitive army.

ursvamp
09-05-2011, 23:01
I haven't tried the parasite, but I like it on paper.

It seems quite good to me. The combination of being able to join or leave units, due to independent character, and having 12" move, and the rending-InstantDeath combo, along with high strength and high initiative, sounds to me like it could be quite useful. Walking with a squad to hide from fire, then leaping out across the board to solo-assault an gang of devastators or obliterators, or other menace, seems quite nice :)

09-05-2011, 23:06
Here is some advice for a list led by a Parasite. Food for thought.

http://yesthetruthhurts.com/2011/04/moar-nids/

daboarder
10-05-2011, 02:40
Stelleck is a fool who is so immature he actually needs to type swear words.

He got the codex ages before the rest of us and spent weeks telling everybody that we we're fools who didn't understand how "awesome" and "game changing" tyranids were going to be. Not to mention his claim that we would change the meta. well it happened but not the way he professed, all the Nid codex did was further encourage those who hadn't yet mechanized their armies to do so. His advice isn't tactically sound and his lists are as spammy and boring as those he decries.

/rant

As for the parasite, its a fun little unit, the best way to look at it is like a winged warrior prime, It can wreck transports in CC, and its best run not with shrikes but with a large gargoyle swarm to give it plenty of ablative wounds.

All that being said however it still suffers from the same major drawbacks that plague pretty much ANY unit in the Nid codex. these are, No retreat wounds kill him quickly. Lack of assault grenades can be a death sentence and PW's and the like will strip him of wounds very quickly as he is a IC.

MOMUS
10-05-2011, 05:00
I was toying with the idea of starting a tyranid force with the parasite, i thought he would be a good addition to a deepstriking nid army.
He has a great ability against outflanking enemy units, I missed the trick with his ripper babies being killpoints though :-(

Flying Toaster
10-05-2011, 12:19
The old 3rd edition Hive Tyrant looks like an Alien Queen, so you might want to have a look at ebay to see if there are any kicking around.

And yeah, the parasite sucks.

Flying Toaster
10-05-2011, 12:20
My bad, double post.

Bonzai
10-05-2011, 13:14
The only real positive thing I can say about the parasite, is that he is comparativly cheap flying synapse. He is also an independant character. More of a novelty unit than anything else.

Archibald_TK
10-05-2011, 13:20
Regarding the Parasite, it's a fast moving Synapse that can't be shot down easily thanks to IC, it's a fast moving SitW and he can allow a large brood of Gargoyles to actually do their job without succumbing to their IB everytime they fly too far away from the main force.
Alas, it's also far too costly, has some interesting offense but zero survivability in CC (IC so targetable, no grenades, T4 so easily wounded and susceptible to ID by fists, and no inv save), and you can't shut down its ability to produce swarms which not only can gives away free KP but can also hinder your other units.

Here is some advice for a list led by a Parasite. Food for thought.

http://yesthetruthhurts.com/2011/04/moar-nids/
Just be careful that it's not a polished list, it's a list that was submitted to YTTH asking for advice so the interesting part are the comments below the list, not the list itself.

AFnord
10-05-2011, 14:37
The parasite might be slightly overpriced, but it is by no means a horrible unit. Unless you/your daughter plan to play in a supper competitive environment then go for it, it is a cool & fun unit, and it is not bad. It will suffer a bit against heavily mechanized armies though, so if everyone runs purely mech armies in your region, you might want to look for another unit.

Wade Wilson
10-05-2011, 15:08
If you want to keep with the alien theme, model a tervigon to look like the queen alien. Better rules, better synergy with the rest of the army, and the fluff still fits.

Get hold of a 3rd edition hive tyrant and you are halway there for the Queen look.

Gah, beaten by flying toaster!!!

But yeah, the tervigon point for point is far better than the poor parasite. In addition it is producing offspirng (just like the Queen). Not quite as cool as a chest burster but hey...

Nids with an alien feel is a popular and cool choice. There was a xeno painting blog on warseer a few months ago were someone had doen excellent paintwork on his/her nids and really got the whole biomechanical Giger feel of the Alien movies. genestealers, warriors and hormegunts all look very 'alien'.

wyvirn
10-05-2011, 19:24
Get hold of a 3rd edition hive tyrant and you are halway there for the Queen look.

Gah, beaten by flying toaster!!!

At least give credit where credit is due :cries: It's not even on a different page...

fwacho
11-05-2011, 04:15
I run a parasite reasonably frequently (1 of every two times I bring my nids to the table)

First... How to model. use gargoyle base, warrior head with tongue sticking out, and rending claws from warrior set. mount the flying stand on a larger 40mm base.

observations.

1. send him with at least 14 gargoyles (that seems to be the magic number for successful delivery)

2. Dont' go after big stuff. pick on weak things or things that can't fight back as he can't take too big a hit.

3. Don't expect tons of ripper swarms. (you'll roll bad more often than not)

4. at least have 10 ripper swarms in your box in case of good day (15 more preferable)

5. Use him to scare the pants out of your opponent's infiltrators. Talk him up extensively before the game making him sound evil to help control your opponent's strategy.

6. Avoid dudes with power weapons.

7. I like combining mine with a tervigon on the table as well. On a good day you can add significantly more points to the table that can just be overwhelming. (imagine two tervigons and parasite at work and throw in a doom of malanti in a pod just for further buffage and target confusion in your enemy.

CushionRide
11-05-2011, 04:22
ive uesed the parasite a few times, ive had fun with it.

as stated above its most effective joined with a unit of gargoyles or shrikes. the outflanking option should not be relied upon, it wont work if the unit outflanking is in a vehicle, and i rarely play against armies that use outflanking. but i do like the creature as a whole. i played against my friends nid army with it. the parasite being able to insta-kill a carnifex was hilarious. i never saw my friend whine so much lol.

ive had it die allot though.

MOMUS
11-05-2011, 05:12
the outflanking option should not be relied upon, it wont work if the unit outflanking is in a vehicle.

Why not?
'If the victim was inside a transport it is assumed he staggered out before dying...'
Tyranid codex pg60

Wade Wilson
11-05-2011, 08:19
At least give credit where credit is due :cries: It's not even on a different page...

My good sir I apologise. Didnt see the last bit on your post.*takes hat off for you*

CushionRide
11-05-2011, 18:45
Why not?
'If the victim was inside a transport it is assumed he staggered out before dying...'
Tyranid codex pg60

ill re-read the rule, and the faq, i didnt think it affected units in vehicles, but i have been wrong before...

I run a parasite reasonably frequently (1 of every two times I bring my nids to the table)

First... How to model. use gargoyle base, warrior head with tongue sticking out, and rending claws from warrior set. mount the flying stand on a larger 40mm base.

-2. Dont' go after big stuff. pick on weak things or things that can't fight back as he can't take too big a hit.

first, here's mine, i like showing it off
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/CushionRide/100_0330.jpg

-2, like i said, i instakilled a carney with mine, going after big things isnt a problem if your initiative is higher. and isntant death on a rending roll rules.

Uncletrunx
11-05-2011, 21:56
lol ya aliens will do that to a person

I met Robin Cruddace last weekend and was pleased to take up 20 minutes of his time talking about 'nids; interestingly, his inspirations for some of the units this time were other sources.

The Pyrovore came about after watching a David Attenborough documentary featuring a creature which spat acid. The Mawlock was inspired by the Sandworms from Dune!

Bestaltan
11-05-2011, 22:22
The Pyrovore came about after watching a David Attenborough documentary featuring a creature which spat acid. The Mawlock was inspired by the Sandworms from Dune!

And the codex rules were inspired by the Keystone Cops.