PDA

View Full Version : Should I bring my army with me to England?

3+savesarefornoobs
10-05-2011, 02:04
I'll be studying abroad for college in England for a semester + a summer next year and I was wondering if I should bring my Army. I'll be at King's College located around the center area of London and interning in Corporate Finance.

I was interested in the English 40k scene as an American and have always wanted to try out the meta-game there. Are there many 40k players and a 40k community in London?

I suspect I'll be busy but can probably make time for a game every Saturday or Sunday or so 3/4 times a month.

Any Londoners help me out? Thanks

Lord Inquisitor
10-05-2011, 02:15
Compared with just about anywhere in the US, London is a veritable gaming Mecca. Sure, bring it!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
10-05-2011, 02:23
I'm no Londoner, but I am jealous as all get out. Have a good time and by all means, bring your army! Don't forget to visit Warhammer World while you're there.

3+savesarefornoobs
10-05-2011, 02:52
I thought Warhammer World was in Nottingham. (Robin Hood and Sherwood Forest and all that)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
10-05-2011, 03:07
I wasn't saying that Warhammer World was in London. But if you're in England I'm fairly certain you can get there pretty easily seeing as how England is about as big as Louisiana.

Mannimarco
10-05-2011, 03:11
Still, its a big place and not as easy to just hope from London way down in the south up to Nottingham in the north.

Bring the army though, theres a fair few shops in and around London so you should have no problem finding somebody to play against.

Eldartank
10-05-2011, 03:17
Definitely bring your army! And maybe some of your painting supplies, too. I really envy you. I'd love the chance to spend some time in England, and check out the GW stores there. Especially the HQ in Nottingham. If I'm not mistaken, Forge World is there, too. :)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
10-05-2011, 03:42
Still, its a big place and not as easy to just hope from London way down in the south up to Nottingham in the north.

Bring the army though, theres a fair few shops in and around London so you should have no problem finding somebody to play against.

I used to drive for two hours to get to a mall in Palm Springs from the Marine Corps base at Twenty-Nine Palms, CA. Distance, smishtance. Especially if I'm visiting England form the US, I'm going to take advantage of every opportunity because who knows when I'd be back there again.

MOMUS
10-05-2011, 04:37
You should bring your army. Think of it as a tournament, write your best list and maybe streamline it so you can save on the luggage.
There is plenty of stores/clubs in London, enjoy your stay. :)

terradax
10-05-2011, 04:47
Bring it!!!

Raellos
10-05-2011, 05:09
Google maps gives it as ~130 miles, so it shouldn't be too hard to get up there for a couple of days, particularly on a bank holiday weekend (heck, being in London, it you could check out a part of the continent when you've got more time to spare). I'm looking at doing an exchange to the UK next year myself, you should keep this updated!

I'd bring my stuff, the Ammobunker bash wouldn't be worth missing if I was over there.

Askari
10-05-2011, 06:01

London is neither way down South, nor is Nottingham in the North.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/europe/england/map_of_england.jpg

It's about dead center if anything, and only 2-3 hours away at worst, and an hour 45mins by train - which is twice the time it takes me to go home for weekends.

To answer the OP, yes 40k flourishes even in rural Britain, London is practically crawling with wargaming venues.

pigsey1972
10-05-2011, 06:41
I thought Warhammer World was in Nottingham. (Robin Hood and Sherwood Forest and all that)

google it , it should talk you about 3 hours by train (rail for you) warhammer world is not near the train (rail) station but easily within taxi(cab) distance) check the warhammer world website for info or give them a call when your here. its well worth it and you can easily make you traveling cost back by buying the ltd edition models and taking them back to the U.S. also check on the GCN website as they have a list of all gaming clubs in your area or just go on games workshop webstie for the uk and you can search for local gw stores independants and gameing clubs. make sure you use your carry on allowance for you army tho!

Devonian Commando
10-05-2011, 07:09
Yep, bring it over.
There are loads of GW stores and independant gaming shops in London that will provide you with an instant community of willing opponents (and friends!)
Pretty much every medium sized town has a GW store and pretty much everywhere over the size of a village has some form of independant stockist (although, this does range from people selling 3 packets of LOTR blisters through to glorious Alladins caves full of gaming delights.)

So, if you're in the UK you're in the GW capital of the World and a 40k army would go down quite well.

BigRob
10-05-2011, 07:23
Bring the army :)

Most towns here have a GW, London has quite a few, there are plenty of gaming clubs and I'd be very surprised if the college doesn't have a gaming club, check out the clubs and societies information.

Nottingham is not far from London at all, a few hours by rail, a bit longer by road (remember if your driving we drive on the Left!) and is very much worth a visit. Being able to buy everything without the stupidly high postage is worth it, not to mention the chance to see all the models and have a couple of bevvies of the famous brew in Bugmans (Just in case your still under 21, the age limit here is 18 for having a drink). If your lucky go up when there is an open day for more fun.

On top of all that England has some great sights to see, some of my american friends who have visited can't get over the fact we have buildings in our cities and towns that are over 500 years old and other sites that are far older.

Enjoy it

Malagate
10-05-2011, 07:31
London is neither way down South, nor is Nottingham in the North.

Exactly, makes me question where Mannimarco is actually from, or if he's suffering from small southern rural town syndrome (i.e. anything above Coventry is "the North" and travelling to anywhere more than 30 minutes away is too far).

It's definately easy enough to get to Nottingham from London, you can get a train from London to Derby that'll take an hour or less on a good day, from there another train, taxi's or even the bus will get you to Nottingham. Although when it comes to Warhammer World visits I'd say get a taxi company number to call for when you're there or hire a car because Warhammer World is out of town in the retail park/industrial area, getting there by taxi is easy enough but when you're done it's not like you can just hail another taxi to take you back.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
10-05-2011, 07:51
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! JEALOUSY IS OVERWHELMING!

I gotta get me over the pond sometime. Rediscover my roots. Although, technically, that'd require a trip to Germany... political roots, then.

MarkNorfolk
10-05-2011, 08:01
Warhammer World is easier to get to by car as opposed to train....cheaper too and is certainly not a long journey. I'm in Surrey and I'd travel there and back in one day for the Epic:Armageddon touney playtests. (Happy days!)

Bring your stuff....you'll regret it if you don't and it's cheaper than buying an new army.

Cheers
Mark

bloodyJokerblackHarlequin
10-05-2011, 08:04
From my experience, wherever I go and know the language, I bring an army.

Its always great fun getting to know and play new people :)

CaptainShrike
10-05-2011, 08:09
I say yes. Look in a White Dwarf: in the directory section, it should show you all the stores in the London area. I live in the south-eastern most area of England, but I'm fairly certain there's at least half a dozen GW's in that area!

3+savesarefornoobs
10-05-2011, 08:47
I say yes. Look in a White Dwarf: in the directory section, it should show you all the stores in the London area. I live in the south-eastern most area of England, but I'm fairly certain there's at least half a dozen GW's in that area!

So Dover or Brighton Beach?

orkmiester
10-05-2011, 08:52
I would say yes- you might be suprised...

though good luck at explaning your army to our 'security' at one of our aiports...

on the warhammer world note- i happen to be blessed i live 'right in the middle' near Birmingham in the 'black country' as it happens so its only 50 or so miles away a quick trip by motorway (oops highway for you Americans :D) but don't mention the M6 as that is well known for being a big long 'car park':rolleyes:.

good luck with the trains they are better than they were, but they still have a habit of being late.. or the underground in London which is constantly on strike (good job us midlanders don't have such problems... ahem:shifty:)

overall though have a good trip to our merry shores (did i really say that i must have been napping...:eek:) just remember we are a hell of a lot smaller, and a lot more self depreciating...

have fun...:)

Spyral
10-05-2011, 09:44
Exactly, makes me question where Mannimarco is actually from, or if he's suffering from small southern rural town syndrome (i.e. anything above Coventry is "the North" and travelling to anywhere more than 30 minutes away is too far).

It is - they're all pagan and will sacrifice you to Nurgle if you linger on the moors.....

OP bring your army, have fun :-)

BigRob
10-05-2011, 09:52
It is - they're all pagan and will sacrifice you to Nurgle if you linger on the moors.....

OP bring your army, have fun :-)

I see you have been to rural Wiltshire! :p

Forgot about the WD, yes grab a UK copy and you will probably be the first person to be interested in the "frontline" section bit at the back.

lordbeefy
10-05-2011, 10:00
I'll be studying abroad for college in England for a semester + a summer next year and I was wondering if I should bring my Army. I'll be at King's College located around the center area of London and interning in Corporate Finance.

I was interested in the English 40k scene as an American and have always wanted to try out the meta-game there. Are there many 40k players and a 40k community in London?

I suspect I'll be busy but can probably make time for a game every Saturday or Sunday or so 3/4 times a month.

Any Londoners help me out? Thanks

First off, love your name.

Second off, definately. There are plenty of active gaming stores/clubs in the London area and you will most likely be warmly welcomed at any of them.

Thirdly, I would echo the point by an earlier poster that its well worth visitng Warhammer World while you are here. Travelling to Nottingham is very easy by road or rail and is the hobby equivalent of making the pilgrimage to mecca.

Fourthly, (is that a word?), enjoy yer stay.

LonelyPath
10-05-2011, 11:44

You're thinking of Werewolves, but they really live on the Brecon Beacons (where they filmed those sections of American Werewolf). I wouldn't say everyone in the north was a idiot though (true meaning of the word Pagan), lol!

Back to the original topic though. There is a lot of gaming in the London area, a couple of friends of mine go to university down there and have told me that each of the universities have several gaming clubs in addition to all the other clubs and stores in the area. it is the highest concentration of gaming in the UK, but the denser population helps with that.

As suggested, look in a WD when you get here for contact details for the stores and see how easy they are to commute to and from.

Warhammer World is also about 3 hours away on the train. get to Nottingham and grab a taxi to Warhammer World, the taxi will cost about 10 - 15 (depending on the taxi firm) each way, but if you know someone on here from Notts you might be able to arrange to meet up and go there together.

As for bringing your army, do so. Make sure the airport staff know what's in the cases though (here have been a few horror stories about smashed up armies) and label it as fragile (lots of labels!) and still expect a few repairs at either end of your travels. Even with the greatest of care, some breakages can and likely will occur (normally happening when the case comes through at baggage claim). or, if you can fit the more breakable models in your carry on luggage, carry them that way.

Okuto
10-05-2011, 13:04
Do bring it!!! I originally when to Scotland to see the airsoft scene there but got sidetracked at the large pool of players England had to offer in terms of warhammer. I mainly stayed in liverpool but if the scene is huge in liverpool then no doubt it's bigger in London

Mannimarco
10-05-2011, 14:10

Since you asked: Yes its small rural town.....in the north of Scotland. Once you get up here you stop seeing "north", most things are actually "south" for me.

Sadly WHW is more than 30 mins away from me, London is considerably more so.

Coasty
10-05-2011, 14:19
London is neither way down South...

Actually, to most folk in the UK...yes it is.

Malagate
10-05-2011, 14:40
Since you asked: Yes its small rural town.....in the north of Scotland. Once you get up here you stop seeing "north", most things are actually "south" for me.

Sadly WHW is more than 30 mins away from me, London is considerably more so.

Probably just a geography mix-up if you considered Nottingham North then, unless you don't consider there to be a middle (i.e. a literal line that seperates north and south rather than an area called the midlands, people living in the midlands might get narked but I doubt anyone else would really care if you seperated England like that). Also small northern rural towns are distinctly different from small southern rural towns, namely there's good reason why those in the north don't do 30 minute journeys (more hills, more extreme weather, narrower roads and more distance between places than the average elsewhere meaning a 30 minute journey would take you to the empty places between life).

tuebor
10-05-2011, 16:02
You should bring your army. Think of it as a tournament, write your best list and maybe streamline it so you can save on the luggage.

This is what I did when I moved to Brittany and I certainly didn't regret it.

Str10_hurts
10-05-2011, 16:05
Yes, I do that all the time when I go to England.
1. Take Warhammer with you, 2 wander in a random GW, 3. Say you are foreign and want to play, 4 Win/lose???. 5 Profit!

Seville
10-05-2011, 16:07
I am going to offer a dissenting opinion:

DON'T bring your army.

You've got six precious months abroad. You should be spending every waking minute drinking, chasing girls, exploring, and having the time of your life. Save the toy soldiers for back home.

I studied abroad. It was the best year of my life. Have fun!

blackroyal
10-05-2011, 16:26
On top of all that England has some great sights to see, some of my american friends who have visited can't get over the fact we have buildings in our cities and towns that are over 500 years old and other sites that are far older.

Enjoy it

As Eddie Izzard says "In America 100 years is old, and in England 100 Miles is far". Do have fun "over there"!

Brother-SeargentJaneCobb
10-05-2011, 16:52
take it
im jealous of anyone with a local gaming club but going to london would be awesome to see the gaming scene over there
1 1/2 hours to see WHW would be nothing to me, i do that almost every saturday to get to the closest place that even hosts 40k games

Lord Inquisitor
10-05-2011, 16:53

DON'T bring your army.

You've got six precious months abroad. You should be spending every waking minute drinking, chasing girls, exploring, and having the time of your life. Save the toy soldiers for back home.

Meh, I'd still bring it. If you're having too much fun chasing girls and exploring and generally having a wild time then the army can stay in the case. Then again, if you're bored and alone in a big city, a game club is a great place to meet people (maybe not girls) and get to know people. 40K is a really great way to make friends. London can be incredibly fun - but it can also be lonely if you're a stranger there.

There are a lot of GW stores but there are also a lot of cool gaming clubs too. I'd recommend looking for a club, online or ask at a game store.

samiens
10-05-2011, 17:38
Go to gw angel, excellent gamers all (myself included!)

Okuto
10-05-2011, 17:55

DON'T bring your army.

true true.... can vouch for this, I spent a semester in Madrid and eager to spend one in Bavaria soon. You'll most likely get sidetracked anyhow from all the sights but one game of warhammer in the UK wouldnt hurt, it's a pretty different experience, well for me it was.....lots of zeal in the room, very nice stuff.

However the best part of the UK for me was it's airsoft scene, very different to what we in the "colonies" experience.

Also you could always go the "mail your army to whether you're staying" route....I had to do this with airsoft as I'm sure people wouldnt be happy to see "firearms" on a plane.....

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
10-05-2011, 18:20
However the best part of the UK for me was it's airsoft scene, very different to what we in the "colonies" experience.

I hope I do not hurt any feelings... but it makes me sad that there's an airsoft "scene." That's mostly coming from the paintball/US Marine in me. Airsoft is like one step up from lasertag, I'd never considered that is was a serious hobby for people.

And the OP can certainly have fun and "be young," whatever the crap that means, while still having time to do some gaming in the home country of the miniature game he has invested time and money in. To most people I imagine "be young" means drinking, partying, messing around with boys/girls, but that often leads more to regrets than anything else. I'd say do a bunch of stuff you won't wish you hadn't done later.

My historian perspective also wants you to get as much of the amazing sights and experiences in as you can. Also, bring a metal detector into random fields and look for treasure; apparently it's all over the place over there.

DarkMark
10-05-2011, 19:00
Here's a club list for you:

http://www.orcsnest.com/clubs.htm

Bring a GK army, you'll probably be able to fit it in your wash bag!;)

mitsukai
10-05-2011, 19:11
I`m gonna b ewith 75% of the people here bring your army mate, If your in London you`ll be near a minimum of 3 Gw stores including the main store of Oxford street plaza and you`ll get to see Bob the chaos warrior in there too,

As for Warhammer world its roughly 2hrs by train with return fares about 70 english pounds but you can probably get it cheaper if get it far enough in advance. If you get a chance head down to GW Romford thats my LGS and we`re a friendly bunch if slightly mad :p

Also as other people have suggested enjoy the sites and sounds mate, We`ve got a huge night scene and the amount of touristy stuff you can do here is ridiculous. We also have great amounts of theatre stuff too if you like it

Make the most of your time here, Don`t miss a thing and do what suits you Play 40k with mates, Play Fuzzy Duck to get ya drunk and dont regret a minute

Good luck bud

Okuto
10-05-2011, 21:25
I hope I do not hurt any feelings... but it makes me sad that there's an airsoft "scene." That's mostly coming from the paintball/US Marine in me. Airsoft is like one step up from lasertag, I'd never considered that is was a serious hobby for people.

This does kinda sadden me, it's like saying golf isnt a sport......I mean airsofters dont bag on paintballers yet it seems that some paintballers have this whole "we were first screw you airsofters and your "upstart sport" but I say just live and let live.

Calling other people's sports in counterproductive imo. I play both and enjoy them equally.

I mean I honesty dont see whats so great about futball but I don't "disconsider" it a sport. Yes yes sometimes we airsofters look funky running around in their kits playing "cops and robbers" but come on....we play with toy soldiers.....:p on our days off.....

anywho that was offtopic just had to defend my sport like any other chap would defend their favorite team.

Do bring your army as GW are everywhere in London but do take your time to enjoy the setting, not everyday one gets to spend time in a foreign city

Finnith
10-05-2011, 21:59
I say go for it. Your going to have evenings/days at University in England when you cant face drinking/partying/studying and warhammer is a very nice fallback to have. Hell I used to go to the GW near uni get a game or 2 in then head out with afterwards in the evening.

Its very easy to get from Nottingham train station to Warhammer world. Theres taxis outside the train station or you can walk 5-10 mins and pick up a bus from outside another GW which runs through Lenton (suburb in Notts) where WW is. You can walk if its nice but its rather a trek.

Lord Caldera
10-05-2011, 22:11
Definitely bring your army. I'm an American studying in Nottingham right now and it's definitely worth it not just for the fun, but for the psychological aspect of having something normal to do in a new atmosphere. England has some pretty huge differences to America even though it's about as similar as you can get next to Canada. Nott's only about 2.5hrs from London by train and WHW is walkable within half an hour from the station.

3 0f 6
11-05-2011, 07:32
Haha,

This makes me laugh, plainly a lot of us play 40k/fantasy and "airsoft" - two stupidly expensive hobbies.

I also wonder why peeps that play paintball slag off us airsofters, I mean where I play we tend to do all day missions - ie one mission all day with multiple objectives, we get to use marine flares, blank grenades, massive bases, rifles, support weapons, pistols, hell some times we use an APC as transport. We also have 2-3 day long games.

I agree on the bring your army, lots of places to play over here. - although I would prob suggest you also sample the night life, while you are here.

3+savesarefornoobs
11-05-2011, 07:35
Care to clarify on those "huge differences?" Just how different is a Brit compared to an American? Is it like an Xenos to a human? haha, jk.

I think I will bring a 40k Army and a WHFB army. No way I can realistically bring all my stuff. I definitely hope to enjoy London and definitely hit all the pubs, clubs, theaters, etc but my first priority is networking. (investment banking)

Honestly, is Warhammer World worth it? Isn't it just a large battle bunker selling all the stuff + collector's models you can buy from the website? Is there anything special about it apart from the model gallery and the good terrain tables?

Malagate
11-05-2011, 07:56
Honestly, is Warhammer World worth it? Isn't it just a large battle bunker selling all the stuff + collector's models you can buy from the website? Is there anything special about it apart from the model gallery and the good terrain tables?

Last time I was there, that was pretty much what it was. The gallery upstairs is however not tiny and with some dioramas that I had only previously seen in pictures, also the hall with the good terrain tables is about 7 or 8 times the size of the shop area, not to mention the bar. It's worth a visit if you want to see pretty models, but if you came up to Nottingham I wouldn't make it your sole stop over (worth an hour or two and then moving on to something more touristy, not Nottingham castle as that is pants).

I'm pretty sure it's changed since I visited however, I remember there was some kind of message about bits being closed to be refurbished or something. Can anyone confirm a major change in Warhammer world between summer 2010 and May 2011? I'm too lazy to drive up there despite being not very far away at all.

Seville
11-05-2011, 08:14
I think I will bring a 40k Army and a WHFB army. No way I can realistically bring all my stuff. I definitely hope to enjoy London and definitely hit all the pubs, clubs, theaters, etc but my first priority is networking. (investment banking)

Wait!

I'm the guy who told you not to take your army. Ok, fine. Take your army. But only if you promise not to get into investment banking.

There are easier ways to make lots of money! You're still young. Forget that idea while you still can! :)

lijah_cuu
11-05-2011, 08:23

I would say Warhammer World is worth it. I go up with a group of mates two or three times a year and love it every time -there something about walking into that massive hall that gets you really looking forward to a game.

The last few times i've been up i've been able to have a chat with John Blanche and Jes Goodwin as well as saying hello to loads of the authors and designers. You can even write to Jervis and see if he will meet you for a game or a drink- he's more than happy to if you give him enough notice!

Im a bit bored of the minatures museum now but only because i've seen it so many times but the art displays are always good to see, a proper walk down memory lane!
The new Bugmans shop has a some nice branded bits and pieces to take home with you as well as limited edition art prints. The food in the bar is pretty good (unless you're on a diet!!l;)) and most importantly it sells beer!!!

Depending on when you book the train you can get there and back for as little as 15 and stay overnight for around 20 in a local hotel - a cab from the station will cost you 5.
You could easily do it all in one day if you want.

DarkMark
11-05-2011, 15:20
Interesting BBC article today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13361875

Arbiter7
11-05-2011, 16:54
Studied at the same college last year. Diddn't bring my army with me, but I ended up buying one :P :P

Do take that trip to Nottingham. I did it by train. Works fine when you don't own a car and aren't used to driving on the left without freaking out.

Lots of gaming clubs there. Closest GW in the Strand is the one at Covent Garden (below ground level, take the stairs, and follow the live music to reach it -you'll know when you get there :P). Doesn't have any serious gaming space. GW at Oxford street does, but my suggestion is to find some independent gaming club. I found some but never got the chance to visit (and don't remember them anymore).

Some nice pubs in the neighbourhood as well!

samiens
11-05-2011, 17:14
Yeah Oxford street gaming can be a bit iffy at times...

Simo429
11-05-2011, 19:39
I'm pretty sure it's changed since I visited however, I remember there was some kind of message about bits being closed to be refurbished or something. Can anyone confirm a major change in Warhammer world between summer 2010 and May 2011? I'm too lazy to drive up there despite being not very far away at all.

Its not really different at all.

They had a bit of a rebranding and at the moment they are changing the lights up stairs so thats closed.

If you do make it there have a look in the first company vets case in the main hall for some interesting information about our club and a glimpse of me and depending on when you make it some of my models.

AlphariusOmegon20
12-05-2011, 08:14
This does kinda sadden me, it's like saying golf isnt a sport......

LOL Golf isn't a sport. It's chasing a gopher "egg" through a cow pasture.....

Sorry, the American Southerner just came out in me all of sudden.

tuebor
12-05-2011, 17:07
Care to clarify on those "huge differences?" Just how different is a Brit compared to an American? Is it like an Xenos to a human? haha, jk.

I know you're joking here but it's a point I think should be made. I've lived and gamed in Michigan, Colorado, Texas, Canada, Germany and France and the only real differences I saw in those gaming scenes were the languages and accents spoken. The OP should bring his army if he wants to use it as a way to meet new people, which is why I've hauled my Guardsmen around the world with me, but he really shouldn't be expecting some sort of transcendental gaming experience he can't get back home.

3+savesarefornoobs
13-05-2011, 23:55
Thanks for all the help guys,

I'll definitely check out Oxford Street and hopefully make some friends to go visit Warhammer World with.

Anyone in London know good independent clubs or stores? I've ordered from "Dark Sphere" before. They said they were near Waterloo Station, do they have gaming tables?

@Seville: ?, how else do you make $ for Warhammer? This hobby isn't very cheap. Of course the real problem would actually be having time for the hobby.

DarkMark
14-05-2011, 08:41
If you know which part of town you'll be based in it would help people give suggestions. Most parts of town can be got to in about an hour on the tube.

Master_of_Asgard
14-05-2011, 10:12
Thanks for all the help guys,

Anyone in London know good independent clubs or stores? I've ordered from "Dark Sphere" before. They said they were near Waterloo Station, do they have gaming tables?

Darksphere mainly play other lesser known games, like Bloodbowl, some RPG games, Magic the Gathering etc. They have a very good selection of 40k and Fantasy stuff in store, but when I asked them if they have a 40k night, the short answer was "No."

Edit: But they are very friendly in there. Worth popping in if you're in the area.