PDA

View Full Version : About to try 40k

dragonlancr
11-05-2011, 03:42
Hello there! Been a long time Fantasy player and I am getting ready to try out 40k. I had a few questions of the community.

First, I am interested in Space Wolves, and I was curious how they played and if there are a fair number of options for versatility of play-style.

Secondly, I am wondering how many models are in an average army...in a typical game. The reason I ask is because I hate to tote around tons of models (one of the reasons I could never play Skaven in fantasy) and so I don't want a very large army.

I am sort of torn between Space Wolves and IG, but I am 70/30 in favor of the Wolves. I am assuming the IG force has a lot of models in their average forces?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

DL

agurus1
11-05-2011, 04:13
what Fantasy army did you play?

Personally I have both IG and Blood Angels armies. Pretty much any Space Marine army you can tweak so that there are fewer models in the army. But what you must remember is that in 40k, 2 out of the 3 missions are bases around capturing objectives with Troops (40k's version of Core). The fewer Troops you have the easier it will be for your opponent to take out your "scoring" units.

IG has a very strong and dynamic play style, with an almost unending ability to be customized, and modified to suite your particular style. You can have an infantry heavy list (lots of models which you don't want), more elite (several veteran units with transports, and accompanying armour), and even mixed lists (fair amount of infantry, and tanks)

Marines of any type are also strong, if maybe a bit more predictable. Wolves are obviously up close and personal oriented, but I don't know much about them in detail.

Charistoph
11-05-2011, 04:21
IG has more options in play style, but they generally field more models than most.

Space Wolves can field a small horde (though, not their best style), or they can be brought down to a small amount of models on the field with Wolf Guard Troops, and anywhere in between.

If you're already 70/30 for the Puppies, and you're looking to carry around fewer models, then stick with the Puppies. IG only gets a low model count when they field a high proportion of vehicles.

sorienor
11-05-2011, 04:51
A balanced Marine style armies are going average about 4-6 vehicles and 30-50 infantry. Wolves are particularly good at extremes though..

IG can have a lot of models, but usually just a LOT of vehicle (which makes it on the more expensive side).

Seville
11-05-2011, 05:14
Hello. I now have three Space Marine armies and an Imperial Guard army.

My Dark Angels come in at around 70 models in a typical game. This is a marine "horde". My Chaos Marines come in at about 50-60. Also kind of horde-ish. My Blood Angels will come in at about 40 or so once I am done. My IG army comes in at 100 - 120.

So, yeah, if you don't want to lug around a ton of stuff, don't go IG. Lugging around tons of crap and then taking forever to set up and pack up is the biggest pain in the butt with that army.

And, just for your reference, certain builds of both Space Wolves and IG are considered pretty broken at the moment. I'm of the opinion that Space Wolves are on a par with 7th ed WFB Demons and IG are maybe like 7th ed Dark Elves. Just something to consider when making your decision.

Weazel
11-05-2011, 06:35
It kinda depends on what kind of an army you want to build. We normally play 1250 point games and yesterday I had 40 infantry and 5 vehicles in a balanced Space Wolf army.

I'm also contemplating on collecting an IG army as a second army and in a sample 1250pt army I managed 40 infantry and 9 vehicles, so not so much of a difference modelwise. Of course if you don't want to mechanize as much you can fit in way more infantry and the amount of soldiers can become a burden.

Basically take whichever army you would enjoy painting/modeling and playing with. Some (if not most) people even consider the fluff and background of an army. Being a northerner myself, Space Wolves with the viking/norse mythology is a great aspect of the army.

3+savesarefornoobs
11-05-2011, 07:36
Just don't play Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines or anything with Space Marines (including Grey Knights).

Read my name.

Swordsman
11-05-2011, 07:41
Just don't play Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines or anything with Space Marines (including Grey Knights).

Read my name.

It's strange that a pro like yourself has a thread in the tactica forums asking for help against Blood Angels.

See his name to see everything that's wrong with the hobby; elitists who think their toy-soliders require tactical acumen akin to Rommel, whilst other toys are for novices.

Death Company
11-05-2011, 07:48
Go with your gut; what attracted you in the first place. If you like the Wolves, go for it. Never allow yourself to be influenced by the hyperbolic crying of Warseer.

It's strange that a pro like yourself has a thread in the tactica forums asking for help against Blood Angels.

See his name to see everything that's wrong with the hobby; elitists who think their toy-soliders require tactical acumen akin to Rommel, whilst other toys are for novices.

Hah! Very nice. :D

Castigator
11-05-2011, 07:52

In the words of Winston Churchill: "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

keatsmeister
11-05-2011, 09:16
Hello there! Been a long time Fantasy player and I am getting ready to try out 40k. I had a few questions of the community.

First, I am interested in Space Wolves, and I was curious how they played and if there are a fair number of options for versatility of play-style.

Secondly, I am wondering how many models are in an average army...in a typical game. The reason I ask is because I hate to tote around tons of models (one of the reasons I could never play Skaven in fantasy) and so I don't want a very large army.

I am sort of torn between Space Wolves and IG, but I am 70/30 in favor of the Wolves. I am assuming the IG force has a lot of models in their average forces?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

DL

I collect both Wolves and Guard. If you are looking to keep model count down, there are ways to keep an Imperial Guard army down to reasonable sizes. At present I can field a 50 model army at around 1500pts, however it is a very fragile army which if I make a mistake is mercilessly unforgiving. Space Wolves on the other hand are one of the more forgiving armies I've ever played, and do tend to keep the model counts down too. The Wolves do have a preference for combat, and you can bolster that with the high volume of characters they have access to, however if you want to play them with a more balanced approach with ranged fighting, you can do, and the tools are there for you to do so.

Isfimbur
11-05-2011, 10:29

Read my name.

IF Space Marines are for noobs, would that be an argument to actually play them? The name of the topic is "About to try 40k" after all.

So, yeah, if you don't want to lug around a ton of stuff, don't go IG. Lugging around tons of crap and then taking forever to set up and pack up is the biggest pain in the butt with that army.

Quoted for truth. Man, I really hate the packing up after the game if I'm exhausted after a hard fought battle. Sometimes I'm the last player left in the club and I must try to hurry up, and that's when I usually accidentally break my own stuff. I need an assistant (team?)...:o

OP: Go for the Wolves if you don't like hordes. SW kick backside and probably offer that versatility you want, too.

IF Space Marines are for noobs, would that be an argument to actually play them? The name of the topic is "About to try 40k" after all.

Touché!:D

QFT again.

HRM
11-05-2011, 10:53
...if I'm exhausted after a hard fought battle...

Sorry, but this made me LOL.

sasheep
11-05-2011, 11:03
Go for the wolves. SM in general are a good way to be introduced into the game and they have the low body count you wanted. SW also have awesome models and fluff imo!

lordbeefy
11-05-2011, 11:29
I field an IG and a Blood Angels army. I would second sasheep's comments. SM are the best army to start with in terms of learning a gamestyle, and the wolves are a lovely fluffy and competitive army choice. They give a whole host of potential conversions and modelling choices.

Charlie Scene
11-05-2011, 19:54
In the words of Winston Churchill: "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

Yeah, I heard playing Guard was hard. Stay strong, bro.

otakuzoku
12-05-2011, 00:07
you could try i believe its logan grimnars grate company the one that has terminators as a troop choice ? if you want a low model army.
most games are played at 1500 or 1750 points

agurus1
12-05-2011, 00:43
If I hadn't played blood angels before I went to guard, I would be as good at IG as I am today. SM of any type are probably the best way to get used to the game mechanics.

Tarian
12-05-2011, 01:05
I love my Guard, but I like the idea of bog-standard humans fighting against everyone else who is far more awesome in general.

As for ease of play/transport, I vote SW.

megatrons2nd
12-05-2011, 01:06
I would go for the Space Wolves as a new player. They look much better than Blood Angels, but not quite as nice as Dark Angels(color schemes, and models). I am not a fan of marines, but will admit they are good for learning on. You may find later that Eldar is your true calling. I would suggest as a veteran player(miniatures in general) that you already know your style of play and your strengths and weaknesses, choose armies that look to be close to your style of play and you will have a better experience than just going "Space Wolves Look Cool".

So what are your usual play styles? What games do you play? What army types do you tend to play?

ShaiAhlude
12-05-2011, 01:07
Your first instinct is usually the correct one. IMHO, go with the wolves.
Read the SW tactica & look through the battle reports. The good ones shows what works & what does'nt (dice rolling aside).
Good luck!

EbonhartLegions
12-05-2011, 15:36
unless its not, i started 40k with chaos daemons, and transitioned into dark eldar.

Easy E
12-05-2011, 17:52
I would council you to think beyond GW instead of 40K. You all ready know what they have to offer.

That said, go with what you will want to paint and you think looks cool. Nothing else matters.