PDA

View Full Version : empire huntsman, are they worth it?

Deathbysoup
11-05-2011, 11:44
Hello there.

After having my buttocks handed to me by wood elves last night I realised something. I have very little manouverability in my army and my war machines are very vulnerable to waywatchers/other scouts.

So my question is, is taking a unit of 8-10 huntsmen a good idea to place as a screen around my artillery?

This would prevent scounts which deploy within 1" like waywatchers and also dissuade units from coming near them and getting shot.

Malorian
11-05-2011, 16:53
To start off with scouts (even waywatchers) have to be 12 inches away now.

Secondly, if you are having trouble with wood elves then either beat them at their own game with pistoliers, run them down with knights, or blast them with hellblasters/mortars and magic.

A huntsmen screen won't last long and won't do much back.

Walls
11-05-2011, 17:00
They DEFINITELY have their place... just maybe not against wood elves.

But remember, don't tailor your lists to specific opponents or your butt will get handed to you by someone else.

Boreas_NL
11-05-2011, 17:31
They DEFINITELY have their place... just maybe not against wood elves.
I must second this... Against Wood Elves they will be very much outclassed. If you are just going to use them as screen, why not use regular Archers?

Maybe it's just my personal preference, but I rarely leave home without them... I usualy field a unit of 15 heavily converted models called the Jaegermeisters (check them out in my Empire thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287817&page=4)).

At ten points a model they are quite expenive, but they have their uses... They can hunt Warmachines, harass the enemy flank, intercept Fast Cavalry or draw away enemy units from your battle line. In theory they could even hunt lone Charachters (though few people let their expensive Charachters roam free these days) And while not impressive, 15 S3 shots can hurt (a bit;)) They won't win any major combats, nor won't they wipe out entire regiments with their shooting but thanks to their Scout special rule they can be a thorn in your enemies side from turn one...

In the most extreme case you can even use them as speedbump... Charge them in the flank or just put them in the way of an enemy unit.

But as I said, maybe it's just personal preference...

Walls
11-05-2011, 18:02
I have really embraced their use, often just using them as a detachment to avoid panic when they flee. I like putting them in a forest beside other units or their parent unit. Put them at an angle and remember... they are steadfast in a forest! When in a forest they can actually take a charge from small units, cav, chariots and survive allowing someone else to flank and destroy.

Plus against a less savvy opponent you can just run circles around them.

I like Huntsmen popping up behind their line. Sure they are only str 3... but they are still there, still a distraction. They can kill warmachine crews and say 10 shots... you can still roll 6's to wound even warmachines, monsters, whatever. Plus every turn or shot at them isn't one at your main line.

Deathbysoup
12-05-2011, 10:04
Thats the thing, Im new to the game so i wouldnt know how to use skirmishers effectively. I might just grab a box of them and try it out.

Boreas_NL
12-05-2011, 17:33
Just read the rules and use them a couple of times. Try them and see if they work for you...

Use them to harass your opponent, pick of his weakest units or threathen his flanks and War Machines... Scouting skirmishers can be very hard to get rid of, especially if they're placed inside terrain (a wood for instance).