PDA

View Full Version : Poll: GW store or Rogue Trader?

Scaryscarymushroom
11-05-2011, 21:21
What kind of store do you prefer?

There aren't any games workshop stores in the area where I live, but when I travel with my family I try to find them. I'm not a big fan of any independent retailers in town, and the games workshop stores I've visited in Baltimore, Virginia, and southern California have all rendered more enjoyment than the shops in salt lake.

tezdal
12-05-2011, 02:45
Meh, GW stores are full employes being obnoxious, at my FLGS I can buy things without being hounded.

ForgottenLore
12-05-2011, 03:02
I see you are in Salt Lake, when I was at BYU Dragon's Keep down in Provo was a pretty good store. Don't know if he still carries GW stuff or not though.

Pretty much vastly prefer independent stores because, well, I like to play other games too. Can't really see a GW store, even if there was one less than 5 hours away, being OK with a group of us coming down and playing Malifaux, or setting up a game of Dominion or Axis and Allies.

DarthSte
12-05-2011, 08:31
My local comic store has started stocking GW products at a 10% discount, so I'll probably start going there more often than the local GW Store.

Emperors Teeth
12-05-2011, 12:39
I appreciate the quality of GW store boards enough that I prefer to go there for my gaming. I'm sure there are plenty of high-end clubs/independent stores out there, but I have nary seen one on my travels that made me want to put my models on the table.

That said, some staff aggravate me. But then some indie owners do, too. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other really.

Foolish Mortal
12-05-2011, 14:35
I voted independent retailer.

More choice, discounts & less hard sell - what's not to like?

I wish someone would open an indy shop in York (England).

Bookwrak
12-05-2011, 15:00
Not a very good poll, since it's not a binary division. I'm going to go to whichever store is better, and that's going to depend pretty much entirely on the staff and customers. Right now I have a choice between a LGS that is poorly run, and still demands full price for gamebooks that look like they've been there for ten years and are an edition or two out of date. The other customers are nice, but the gaming space is tiny and abysmal.

Meanwhile, the local GW is run by a great guy, and I get along real well with all the other regulars. I might not be able to play a game of L5R, but I know I'm going to get a game on a good table that doesn't used stacked detritus for terrain.

It's hard to answer generically, since it totally depends on the store.

DarthSte
12-05-2011, 15:06
I voted independent retailer.

More choice, discounts & less hard sell - what's not to like?

I wish someone would open an indy shop in York (England).

Hey, Travelling Man on Goodramgate has just started selling GW stuff (in the last few weeks), with a 10% discount, they'll order in for you still with 10%. They do a fair bit of Warmachines, board games, roleplaying as well as comics.

I've always found them helpful, but not at all pressuring. :)

marv335
12-05-2011, 15:30
When I am in the UK I have a choice of two local shops for my wargaming needs.
1. Local GW
2. Independent Shop.

By far I prefer the GW.

The Indy store is full of CCG players who really need to wash (staff included) and If I do try to buy something, at least I don't get ignored in the GW.
In the Indy store it's quite often a challenge to; a) identify the staff, and to b) pull him away from his hand of yu-gi-oh to sell me stuff.

rodmillard
13-05-2011, 10:35
Around here, the LGS is infinitely better than the "local" GW - firstly because it is actually LOCAL, whereas the nearest GW store is half an hour away by train (although it is in the town where I work, so I quite often pop in on my lunch break to pick up some paints or just froth about the game).

But in general, I find my LGS has a better range of models (by virtue of the fact that they stock products by about 30 different companies) which are cheaper (minimum 10% off RRP across the board, but they had 30% discounts on some ranges in the sale). They also have 16 6x4 tables and 12 painting stations, which is roughly 8x the space of the GW store.

Having said that, I used to live in South Wales where the situation was reversed (not sure if it still is now that the Newport GW store has moved).

Shieldwall
13-05-2011, 11:23
Indies all the way. Sometimes, after visiting a GW store and beeing issued an involuntary "purchasing advice", I was almost wishing for a restraining order. :p

Foolish Mortal
13-05-2011, 12:34
Hey, Travelling Man on Goodramgate has just started selling GW stuff (in the last few weeks), with a 10% discount, they'll order in for you still with 10%. They do a fair bit of Warmachines, board games, roleplaying as well as comics.

Thanks for the info DarthSte - I don't go to travelling man much, but I will certainly check this out.

Can I just ask, do they carry a large(ish) range of GW stuff?

The Ape
16-05-2011, 07:58

Do they sell any Flames of War?

I have no idea where Goodramgate is but will have a looksy on google maps next time I am there "shopping" with the mrs...

Foolish Mortal
16-05-2011, 11:01

I have no idea where Goodramgate is but will have a looksy on google maps next time I am there "shopping" with the mrs...

I had a quick look-see Friday last week, and I could't see any Flames-of-War stuff anywhere.

They do have a pretty small selection of GW/Warmachine to be honest, but being able to order stuff makes that not to much of a biggy.

Lockjaw
16-05-2011, 17:35
never been in a GW store, none around my area

ChromeZephyr
16-05-2011, 18:59
Never been to a GW, since SLC doesn't have one. I like my local indy, though, so I'm not heartbroken by it.

DarthSte
18-05-2011, 12:26

I had a quick look-see Friday last week, and I could't see any Flames-of-War stuff anywhere.

They do have a pretty small selection of GW/Warmachine to be honest, but being able to order stuff makes that not to much of a biggy.

It's a small range of GW stuff, but they've only just started stocking in the last month, so I guess they're testing the water - mainly with new releases.
I don't recall seeing Flames of War in there, but again, they may order it in at some point.
Goodramgate is near the Minster, there is a selection of fine drinking houses in that area too.
Are you a Yorkie too, The Ape?

Galatan
18-05-2011, 12:37
I prefer a GW store, but that is mainly because the small handfull of LGS in my area are horrible. Filled with people who clearly have never heard of deoderant, are obnoxious or start ranting in my face about every little thing (you play space wolves?! cheese!! blablablabla You like tau? You are an idiot! blablabla GW is horrible! blablabla). Everybody is free to say their opinion, but that doesn't mean you have to scream it in my face :mad: . My local GW is always clean and tidy and I generally find the people better conversationalists (I once noticed that all the guys that are basically rejected or banned from the GW store go to the LGS).

Although I do know 2 LGS in different cities that seem to be great places.

Note: I've neither been to a GW or LGS regularly in years. I buy everything online and only drop by a GW to say hi to the staffers (most are part of my gaming club) when I happen to be in the area.

The Ape
19-05-2011, 07:53
It's a small range of GW stuff, but they've only just started stocking in the last month, so I guess they're testing the water - mainly with new releases.
I don't recall seeing Flames of War in there, but again, they may order it in at some point.
Goodramgate is near the Minster, there is a selection of fine drinking houses in that area too.
Are you a Yorkie too, The Ape?

Ah ok I'll take a look next time I visit. I live in Beverley so a 40 minute drive away.

chilledenuff
20-05-2011, 08:22
Up until 3 years ago I would have said either. Now indy all the way. I don't need asking if I've got enough glue or paint or even worse do I want the current WD with every purchase! On one occasion I was buying glue and the staff member asked me if I needed glue with it!

Deadpool101
20-05-2011, 18:21
Now? Iethere. Ind's don't have any idea of what to help you, with what to get etc. And I went to my local GWstore to day. Fridays are normally backed but everyone is staying away after the price rise. on avenger normally over 90... today... only 8 including 3 staff.

Mirbeau
20-05-2011, 19:06
In the uk, we're quite lucky with our GW stores, since last year the pushy-ness of the staff seems to have tapered off dramatically. I work at an indy, but game at GW Bromley, due to space issues. The last couple of sets of staff there have been excellent really, I can't fault them at all. I feel most sorry for them with the recent s***storm of news, they get a lot of flak for something that isn't their fault, and it makes their targets a lot harder to reach, so their jobs are at risk. Imagine having to push a 70 battallion box that was 20 pound cheaper a few days earlier...wouldn't wish that on anyone!

All the indies in London are staffed by good sorts, I pop by Dark Sphere often and though it's pretty magic/warmachine orientated now, and is somewhat stuffy, the lady and gents who run it are pleasant and helpful to a tee,and the discounts are excellent. But, you can't get a game in or have a good chat about warhammer (though you can on plenty of other subjects).

So my vote is for my GW, unless I'm doing a big shop...

Dr Zoidberg
21-05-2011, 01:27
Indy for me. I want a place where I can game with a diverse crowd and have some stimulating conversation in between games. I don't want to spend my time in what is essentially a child daycare centre with exceptionally expensive toys for the little blighters to break.