PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay for your hobbie books and big boxes?

Carthnage
13-05-2011, 01:44
Well downtown at my hobby center, (no GW for almost a decade now), we get our army books for 25.00 Canadian dollars, and our Iob is 85.00 a box, cdn aswell, and the army boxes are 85-95 depending on which one it is, the newer the more expensive. The big rule books are 85 each. regiments are mainly 30.00 a box ex. 16 sarus. Things like rhinos and their size equivalent are 35.00, we also don't get charged tax on books. I'm curious what does the rest of the world has to cut off their body and sell to play this game?

Rosstifer
13-05-2011, 01:47
In New Zealand our army books are 42 Canadian Dollars for the paper back ones. 148 Canadian Dollars for Island of Blood.

Carthnage
13-05-2011, 01:51
Wow, those prices are pretty damn cheap. Check out the GW website if you really want to know the answer to your questions. You can switch the country and look around. It appears you are getting a 25% discount off MSRP.

Were you complaining?

In a way, but I was more curious what people hobby shops were charging.
I know my store is more cheep than most, but its still not good enough! * screams to the sky*

Rosstifer
13-05-2011, 01:53
Nope, everywhere in the world mate. Thank god for Wayland games, it works out to be almost 50% discount for Kiwi's :D.

iamjack42
13-05-2011, 01:55
Well downtown at my hobby center, (no GW for almost a decade now), we get our army books for 25.00 Canadian dollars, and our Iob is 85.00 a box, cdn aswell, and the army boxes are 85-95 depending on which one it is, the newer the more expensive. The big rule books are 85 each. regiments are mainly 30.00 a box ex. 16 sarus. Things like rhinos and their size equivalent are 35.00, we also don't get charged tax on books. I'm curious what does the rest of the world has to cut off their body and sell to play this game?

Wow, those prices are pretty damn cheap. Check out the GW website if you really want to know the answer to your questions. You can switch the country and look around. It appears you are getting a 25% discount off MSRP.

Were you complaining?

Surgency
13-05-2011, 02:02
I was gonna say... I paid $90 USD (around 86 CDN right now) for my IoB. I have friends in Auckland though, and I genuinely feel sorry for them, as they can't order from GW, or Forgeworld, without literally paying an arm and a leg

Jetty Smurf
13-05-2011, 02:05
From what I have been able to find regarding different prices in different regions/countries/continents the worst off are Australia and New Zealand.

I live in Aus, and if maelstrom and wayland didn't exist, I would be broke with half the number of models I have.

As for actual prices, for comparison, tomb kings book is ~$63-64 CAD, TK battalion is ~$184-185 CAD, tomb guard box is ~$70-71 CAD.

The TK stuff is more expensive than most others, but the aussie dollar is slightly stronger than the canadian dollar (i.e. the TK book is $62 AUD) so for everything else, the books are $48, bats are $150, and a typical box is $50, all AUD prices.

tezdal
13-05-2011, 05:07
I used to buy all the armybooks at full prices...but nowadays, I get 'em second hand to read if I find them cheap, otherwise I do without.

Gav2k
13-05-2011, 06:59
without literally paying an arm and a leg

Literally? Really? Man, you know it's bad when GW prices require you to pay in limbs.

Andy p
13-05-2011, 09:33
Well in the UK it's 22.50 for an army book currently and just as an example its 18.50 for abox of 10 orcs :wtf:.

So it's 35.33 for a rule book if it was in Canada and surprisingly the regiments seem spot on at 29.05.

Leogun_91
13-05-2011, 09:47
Literally? Really? Man, you know it's bad when GW prices require you to pay in limbs.I would guess he sells his limbs to some underground cult for the money to buy GW figures. That way he literally pays in limbs though there is a middle hand.

Surgency
13-05-2011, 23:15
some people will go to great lengths to continue the hobby... I knew a guy who constantly told us that he was going to pawn his fake leg to buy more models :p

Morkash
14-05-2011, 08:20
The prices are ok until now for me. The Orc released pretty much showed my personal upper border of pricing, it was a big deal of self-convincing necessary that I NEED those 40 Savages, even if they cost almost 60 pounds on Wayland. Better than 90 Euro from GW of course, but I would not pay more...the Elite infantry (Bestigolds, Goldswords, Platinum Guard etc.) for example are over my limit, cannot justify to buy any of them... And you know stuff is too expensive (for me), if 60-75% of the retail price is too much.

But as long as Wayland and eBay exist, things are ok.

Another thing: On the tournament I was recently, there were a few guys who did not even had the armybook of their army. They simply downloaded it (or scanned it, I did not ask) and printed the armylist plus a few rules. One of them had his armybook on his iPad only...so I guess that COULD be an option if you do not care about the law. ;)