PDA

View Full Version : Best 40k Diorama idea?

cuda1179
13-05-2011, 05:08
I will never enter a Golden Deamon competition. That being said, I have come up with some pretty good ideas for conversions.

One of my favorite conversions in a Golden Deamon was a "duel" scene. A loan fantasy goblin was mooning a Dragon.

So, what other awesome conversions could we think up? I'd love to see a "duel" with a Dreadknight arm wrestling a Bloodthirster. For a serious diorama, a Dreadknight with a sword dueling a Wraithlord with a sword.

MajorWesJanson
13-05-2011, 05:15
I'd love to see a duel- a grot is painted to be in shadows, looking up at a falling drop pod about to land on him. Bonus points if the drop pod is trailing flames and smoke from reentry still.

eldargal
13-05-2011, 05:28
Squad of Howling Banshees looting a chocolate shop.

Or, Castellan Crowe being kicked into the engine of a Stormraven.

Gir
13-05-2011, 05:31
My friend and I built a Hierophant smashing through a building full of imp gaurd going about their business.

Our next project is a Harridan grabbing a Valkyrie mid flight and gargoyles swarming over it.

The Marshel
13-05-2011, 10:26
Our next project is a Harridan grabbing a Valkyrie mid flight and gargoyles swarming over it.

nice, very nice

Hypaspist
13-05-2011, 10:51
My favourite one was the one I saw last year at Gamesday where a Squad of Guardsman were posing on the corpse of a downed Carnifex. was very well done!

I wouldn't mind seeing a Boxing Ring with a Grey Knight and an Ultramarine inside, having a Queensbury Rules style punch up with a few aspiring contenders hanging around the side.

"The Imperium Championship Belt, Fluff-weight division"

:shifty:

ctsteel
13-05-2011, 10:51
Several 40k ones I've visualised but lack the time/effort/skills to make real

A tau diorama featuring an Aun being forcibly pushed into a waiting transport, while several firewarriors form a sacrificial barrier between him and a charging enemy horde (likely tyranid but could be chaos/dark eldar/orks). Titled 'For the Greater Good'

A guard/kroot one in the snow featuring the wounded Cadian guardsman (the seated one holding his arm) sitting behind a large snow covered boulder with his gun propped just out of reach, while two kroothounds circle from opposing sides tracing the blood spots (and have just made eye contact) and a shaper follows their trail. Titled 'End of the line'. I actually picked up all the models for this but haven't got to the actual creation stage beyond some paint on the shaper.

One featuring a Space Marine Landspeeder which has been attacked by nids, with the gunner being half dragged out of his seat while the pilot tries to grab his outstretched hand and hold him in. Unsure of title. When I saw the Space Wolves diorama which had a similar but not identical scene to this one (which I'd come up with before that) it was very cool.

And lastly (and perhaps the more fun for a Golden Daemon) - a night/underhive scene in which a youngish child scares his friend by holding up a small genestealer-shaped doll, with a light behind it to cast a real-sized shadow on the wall making his friend think it's real/around the corner. Not sure of title, perhaps 'Jumping at Shadows'. I've toyed with variants on this including scaring an Arbites officer, or having the child doing the scaring observed by a real genestealer lurking behind a grate (for irony).

keatsmeister
13-05-2011, 11:59
I wouldn't mind seeing a Boxing Ring with a Grey Knight and an Ultramarine inside, having a Queensbury Rules style punch up with a few aspiring contenders hanging around the side.

"The Imperium Championship Belt, Fluff-weight division"

:shifty:

Do the handicap match from the Ultramarines book, The Killing Grounds. Grey Knight Brother-Captain versus Uriel Ventris and Pasanius.

Anyway, I'll post some ideas here, as I really haven't got the patience (read skill here) to pull off some of these, so help yourselves if you fancy any of them.

In other ideas, I like the idea of The Grot Behind The Grassy Knoll - A JFK-like scenario

I did also think of setting up a diorama in the layout of the old Gladiators TV studio, and have Wyches competing in ring challenges etc, though with a bit more of a Dark Eldar flavour (not mats, just spikes :) )

I like the idea of doing the scene from the end of Death Or Glory, with Felicia Tayber looking on in her modified Sentinel Powerlifter as Commissar Cain sticks his laspistol in the Ork Warboss's eyeball and blows its brains out

How about a Valkyrie with a Storm Trooper/Elysian Drop Troops squad making rope descents?

A Great Unclean One biting a Guardsman in half?

Necron Wraiths emerging from a bunker wall into a crowd of shocked command personnel?

An Ork Trukk ramming into the side of a Rhino, with the Orks on the back of the Trukk taking flight as they were not strapped in or holding on when the Trukk impacts with the Rhino?

Steve McQueen-like bike jump?

Well, perhaps not the best ideas, but something to start with :)

Malagate
13-05-2011, 12:46
I like the idea of modelling a sniper fight, as in just make a very large terrain piece of ruins, make a clearing in the middle with a single corpse in it and then put a sniper on opposite sides of the board in the most hidden ways possible. Also make some false snipers that are just helmets on sticks or corpses holding a rifle, then make sure the to paint on red dots to represent the movie idea of a laser sight. The only way to know who's winning is to see which sniper has a tiny red dot closer to the actual location of their opponent. Alternatively you could have two snipers merely competing against each other, have their target cowering in a small shed whilst there are two red dots on the outside, one on the window and the other on the door.

Also a little something more over the top I came up with in a different thread:

Of course, if I ever enter a golden daemon competition, it's going to be a conversion of a terminator space marine pole-vaulting from his bike, jump pack blazing whilst flying over a hopscotch pad and on his way to thunder-chain-power-hammer-fist an Ork fighta-bomber right in the face. The pole for the pole-vault will of course be skewering 3 Avatars, with the tip of the pole resting on the number 10 of the hopscotch grid.

And he's also holding a guitar. Which is on fire.