PDA

View Full Version : Starting Orks, Just for fun

Carlosophy
14-05-2011, 19:31
Im a little tired of waiting for the new Tau book and whilst the likes of DE and GK are great and all they are a little serious for my likings. Lately I have been having an itch for some of the randomness of 2nd edition and, aside from a Fabius Bile enhanced marine army Ive been looking at putting together a combat patrol of Orks.

My main stickler is that I care not for 'viability'. This is an army for fun games with friends and anything goes. That said I need some sort of starting point so I wondered if Ork Vets could point me in the right direction of an army that will give me plenty of laughs should things go wrong.

Nym
14-05-2011, 19:36
Weirdboy for HQ
Flashgitz

'Nuff said. ;)

magnum12
14-05-2011, 19:46
I play guard primarily but do dabble in orks for fun when I get a craving to mix things up a bit with decent success.

Buy Battle for Black Reach starter set. Excellent bargin. It comes with a fully legal 500 point Ork army. You get an optimal load out War Boss (Power Klaw, 'ard plate, Cybork body), three Deff Koptas with TL Rokkit Launchas (very good fast attack choice), 5 nobs with 'uge choppas, 'ard plate, and cybork bodies, and 20 minimum boyz mobs (the weak point of the box).

Burnas are under rated but absolutely must go in a transport for max effectiveness. Guys under template x amount of boys in transport is extremely painful to most infantry. Trukks are also very funny when they go down (imagine a Loony Tunes style car crash)

Every mob of boyz should have a Nob with a power klaw.

If you like Kanz, give them all Rokkit Launchas. BS3 missiles is some of your best ranged tank hunting.

Storm Boyz are great for a laugh when they use their jump packs and end up having to take dangerous terrain tests.

Lootas are a must. A full 10 man mob that rolls a 2 on D3 is statistically dealing about as much autocannon damage as an equivilantly costed Hydra squad.

Fawful
14-05-2011, 22:20
Orks have loads of possible themed builds. You can go horde with a lot of boyz and some gretchin for support, speed freaks, an army that has looted everything they found (I'd suggest three looted wagons and some lootas as the basis for this army) and quite a few more.

As for random stuff:
- A big mek with a shock attack gun is a must. A weapon that might fire the user if used incorrectly is comedy gold and hey, it might even do some damage at times.
- Zap guns are as random as they come, with higher rolls burning the gretchin.
- Looted wagons are a great modeling opportunity and might move when you least want them to.
- Weird boyz are another good HQ with a lot of weird and wonderful abilities.
- Squig bombs (thanbusta upgrade) are fun as well, they might even blow up your own vehicles.

Big hordes are also fun to play against imo since even if your opponent loses he still got to take down a ton of models.

Magicman1
14-05-2011, 23:27
I was thinking of going totally wacky ork army, but i cant figure out my troop choice i dont just want da boyz, but i obviously need some troops. How can i make this interesting. (By the way i know big mek will let me field deff dreads as troop but i want zogwort).

Eta
15-05-2011, 09:03
I was thinking of going totally wacky ork army, but i cant figure out my troop choice i dont just want da boyz, but i obviously need some troops. How can i make this interesting. (By the way i know big mek will let me field deff dreads as troop but i want zogwort).

Then take Grots. Cannot get more unusual than a core filled up with the little buggers.

Magicman1
15-05-2011, 10:56
Yer good idea thanks

Herman the Heathen
15-05-2011, 17:02
The shooty/stompy mek horde is kinda fun, it's anice change to annihilate your opponent with dakka from time to time...

Big med with a shokk attakk gun

Big mek with a kustom force field.

2 dreads as troops.

6-9 kans (if 6 then another heavy choice like big guns of course)

as many lootas as you can afford.

Then fill up on shoota boys to make up the numbers.

Edit: just saw you wanted Zogwort... the replace the mek with the kustom force filed with him. Zogwort needs a bodyguard of boys though (or nobs of course).

The mek with the kustome force field goes with the dread/kans

I think most of my best/funniest/most devestating moments in 40 all includes the shokk attack gun. It's just pure entertainment!

Herman the Heathen
15-05-2011, 17:08

What about Wazdakka?

Warbikes for troops, you don't see this so often, not as often as Nobz bikers at least. Then som buggies and deffkoptas.

But if you gonna do teh wacky ork army, you must have the Shokk attakk gun, at least that's my oppinion...

Magicman1
15-05-2011, 21:07
Yer shooty is really interesting and it probably will be a factor in my army, actually im trying to go for a totally looted army, if your an experienced or knowledgeable player that can help me then please visit my thread: Time to Loot :) thanks if you do manage to comment.

Shadey
16-05-2011, 00:23
Second the Shock Attack Gun.

Also, if you really want fun, ask your opponent if you can adjust the rules to allow you to shoot into close combat with of course a chance of hitting your own units.

Or just shoot at your own units anyway.

"Ey ladz, Snaggitz reckon 'e was gonna get to krumpin 'afore us. Send some dakka 'iz way, lets see if he is still so smarmy after dat."

I like to do this if I have decided they have had a dissagreement.

slingersam
16-05-2011, 08:04
SAG, Stormboyz, Shoota boyz. Hell an all shooty ork army is pretty fun (not very effective I tried) but still really fun

DONT FORGET THE LOOTED WAGON

Carlosophy
16-05-2011, 14:49
Im starting with a 400pts combat patrol as a starter. A SAG is mighty fun but 100pts :s.

I was thinking:
Wyrdboy
2x Boyz w/Trukk
Lootas
DeffKopters w/KMB. Get's Hot! seems a laugh.

slingersam
16-05-2011, 15:53
Take rockets. As much fun a themed list is, its not as fun when you can't win.

1.6blackout
16-05-2011, 23:07
having 9 kans is extremely fun. they look goofy and perform goofy. plus they are actually good in the game especially with a kff