PDA

View Full Version : The Coupe de grace! (killing blow)

Sicarius the 2nd
15-05-2011, 12:00
I don't know about you guys but this is one of my favorite rules in the whole fantasy system, i mean i have actually bought a Khorne deamon army just so every model has killing blow. Nearly every army has the option for a model or units with killing blow, so i was just thinking what has been your most glorious killing blow moment.

There has been many but mine has to be when my night goblin warboss killing blowed 3 yes 3 of my friends chaos heroes in a game. Pure bliss as the 6's landed! :)

Andy

Morkash
15-05-2011, 12:07
My Savage Warboss onc inflicted 4 Killing Blows against a State Troop Champion in a challenge. Poor chap. :(

Fire at Will
15-05-2011, 12:27
It certainly is a good rule!

Glad my Dwarf Lord can take a rune that means that I don't get killing blowed... although, that doesn't stop those with out it dying... like a standard bearer. :O

- Will

Banville
15-05-2011, 12:40
A couple of weeks ago my Bretonnian Lord was charged by an Orc Giant. The Lord swings first. My friend then takes his giant off the board with much wailing an gnashing of teeth.

The bearded one
15-05-2011, 12:43
I once saw a bretonnian hero with the heroic killing blow virtue charge and kill a steamtank with 1 hit ;)

Imagine that.. the lance being thrusted through the tank's vision slit, killing all the crew and causing the boiler to explode ^^

Trains_Get_Robbed
15-05-2011, 13:32
My greatest K.B came from my HKB Bret Lord a few months back that decided he was bringing his A game in the second round of a tournament. He killed 6 trolls and double HKB'd Throgg.

Next notable, would have to be a doubles game his rookie game (first time using Brets) he picked off a Steam Tank, Vargulf and a Black Coach.

My Lord is like the Sheriff from Gangs of New York, everytime he gets a kill, he marks it on his lance >:P -he just needs to steer clear of 'Bill the Butchers' aka. Chaos, H.E/D.E Lords XD.

snottlebocket
15-05-2011, 13:38
I once saw a bretonnian hero with the heroic killing blow virtue charge and kill a steamtank with 1 hit ;)

Imagine that.. the lance being thrusted through the tank's vision slit, killing all the crew and causing the boiler to explode ^^

I prefer to picture him parking his horse, dismounting and putting a potato up the exhaust.

Corvus Corone
15-05-2011, 14:32
This is my favorite rule too! Is it any wonder I'm building tomb kings =)?

So far my best KB was a tomb guard who poked Eltharion off of stormwing.

KO!

ihavetoomuchminis
15-05-2011, 14:36
I like KB. But i don't like Heroic KB. It's too similar to the uber insta kill spells, and i can't dispell it.

My best KB was with my Skarsnik against a fully tooled up Khorne Lord in Juggernaut. He made his attacks, left skarsnik with one wound, and Gobbla eated the Lord. It was a Honour and glory scenario, and i won with that.

vinny t
15-05-2011, 15:46
My bet KB moment would have to be when my bloodletters were fighting a unit of 50 Gors with a lvl 4 shaman, a beastlord and a BSB with the +1 S banner. In the first round of combat I KBed the shaman and the BSB. Next round the lord went.

Matt.Wood88
15-05-2011, 16:01
My greatest would have to be when a basic bloodletter champion charged into a unit of tomb kings chariots with a fully kitted out tomb king. My champion challenges, strikes first and with the one hit scored, rolls a 6 to wound... My opponent looked at me, declared that he had a ward save (can't remember what) and smugly looked over and rolled the dice without looking. Obviously I followed the die with baited breath, for it to come up a one! I looked up at him and all I could do was laugh :)
Won me the game that did :D
Cheers
Matt

Tae
15-05-2011, 16:21
It's not techincally a KB, but I once managed to get Morathi to rear charge a unit of Temple Guard (back in 7th, before make way) and caused a single wound to a Slaan ... with her magic knives that cause -1S, -1T and -1A with each wound and if any stat is redouced to 0 the model is removed. And Slaan have just the 1 attack :)

I did have images of her stabbing the Slaan and then watching him go flying about like an emptying balloon

R-Love
15-05-2011, 18:33
Killing a Vampire lord with a misfired Gnoblar from a Scraplauncher. That was just hilarious :D

Star.Scream
15-05-2011, 19:03
>>>I know my Tomb Guard have KB'd an opposing Wood Elf Lord at least once; characters beware, its safer to fight skeletons!

Gooner
15-05-2011, 21:06
I played a friend with my DE vs Brets, and he HKB two of my hydras in 1 round of combat. Was pretty epic considering thats like 10 heads he would need to chop off.

Haravikk
15-05-2011, 21:46
Nearly every army has the option for a model or units with killing blow
Don't rub it in :p
At least Dwarf heroes can easily be immune to it instead though!

Morkash
15-05-2011, 22:27
They took me Iron Gnashaz! :cries:

TrojanWolf
15-05-2011, 22:45
I've only had one KB, and it wasn't particularly impressive. Just Throt the Unclean deciding he really didn't like a black orc.

I kinda wish Throt had his old KB rules. As it stands, he's only really good for making a themed Moulder list. I don't mind that, but he could at least be a bit tougher.

Zaonite
15-05-2011, 22:54

I've done that! It's soo funny to watch 300 points of steam tank goodness go bye byes to a pansy guy on a horse!

Artinam
15-05-2011, 22:58
Had a Bretonnian Lord with the Sword of the Quest and the Virtue of Heroism in a decimated of Knight Errants (only the champion was alive). They rallied after being nearly wiped out by a Skaven unit pushing the bell. My Lord and the champion could only hold when they were charged.

And yes... he stood there took his sword and smashed the bell in a single hit and rolled a second Heroic Killing Blow. The game right there was everything Bretonnia represented for, a lone Human against the odds.

He managed to draw combat and survive but fled the next combat (enough heroism for one day).

ihavetoomuchminis
15-05-2011, 23:30
The heroic killing blow virtue can be combined with a magic lance?

Zaonite
15-05-2011, 23:43
The heroic killing blow virtue can be combined with a magic lance?

Can be combined with a magic weapon full stop! Check out the Bretonnian FAQ!

WoodElfGeneral
16-05-2011, 00:50
anytime my waywatchers kill amything with is is my favorite, but most notably are when they demolished a boltthrower first turn or when they polish of more than half a unit of chaos knights.

freddieyu
16-05-2011, 01:39
Can be combined with a magic weapon full stop! Check out the Bretonnian FAQ!

All my cannons and guns will point at the character before he gets close to my Stank...

Yamabushi
16-05-2011, 02:24
Mine has to be the loyal Tomb Guard champion, who has protected his King numerous times. Amongst his most prized trophies include the heads of two Skaven Assassins, a Dark Elf BSB, a Beastigor BSB and a Chaos Warrior Champion. This is also the same guy who, upon meeting his Grave Guard counterpart, will always, without fail, kill off each other each time they meet (rofl).

Bodysnatcher
16-05-2011, 05:45
This is also the same guy who, upon meeting his Grave Guard counterpart, will always, without fail, kill off each other each time they meet (rofl).

Two decapitated skulls next to each other on the ground.
"Well this is another fine mess you've gottten us in to."
"I'm sorry Ollie-hotep."

ftayl5
16-05-2011, 06:13
All of these tales of Killing Blows make me sad. I've never ever killing blow'd anything! I played exclusively Tomb Kings for 2 years with a mandatory unit of Tomb Guard in every list - they never ever ever ever made a single killing blow - that wasn't then saved by a ward.

:(

WizzyWarlock
16-05-2011, 06:50
My favorite was with my Waywatchers. A Level 4 Tzeentch Sorcerer on Disc had flown to close to them and they opened fire, scoring 3 6's to wound. 2+ Armor, 3+ Ward. Armor ignored, obviously, then his wards were 4, ping, 5, ping, 2, THUNK! Thank you and Goodnight. :)

Scythe
16-05-2011, 07:10
Best killing blow was Archaon, couple of years ago. Also have Tyrion, Grimmgor and Mannfred on the list, along with a wide variety of lesser heroes. VCs do the killing blow thing rather well ;)

jtrowell
16-05-2011, 14:04
>>>I know my Tomb Guard have KB'd an opposing Wood Elf Lord at least once; characters beware, its safer to fight skeletons!

With the new spell from nehekerra lore that give KB to an unit, my normal skeletons with spears killed a bretonnian general in his grail knights.

Lord Inquisitor
16-05-2011, 14:29
Killing a Vampire lord with a misfired Gnoblar from a Scraplauncher. That was just hilarious :D

That's just awesome.

Leogun_91
16-05-2011, 16:42
There are two and I was at the receiving end of both:

1) Giant is about to engage vampire, vampire talks to sphinx and receives HKB which is promptly used to one-hit the lumbering brute who proceeds to crush half a mob of orcs.

2) My Orc BSB and a Tombking Iconbearer (last ed) each use all their attacks at eachother (striking simultaneously), I kill him and he rolls his attacks, one hit, one KB, one 4+wardsave failed. We both imagined the orc charging forward and driving his banner through the iconbearer and the iconbearer using the open defense for a last blow that chopped the head of the Orc from his shoulder.

rob_appo
16-05-2011, 17:32
My best kb came from a gourger running on from behind a rune lord sitting on his anvil, he never fails to make his points back :D.

Nubl0
16-05-2011, 17:39
I run blocks of bloodletters. They killing blow stuff all the time. However my most impressives was a champion, who after witnessing his hero skulltaker overkill a dragon slayer in a nearby combat proceeded to KB the dwarven bsb!

catbarf
16-05-2011, 21:25
I had a unit of Ogre Ironguts get slaughtered by Grave Guard. It wasn't until after the game that I realized that standard Killing Blow doesn't affect Ogres, which are Monstrous Infantry.

T10
16-05-2011, 21:30
i was just thinking what has been your most glorious killing blow moment.

Andy

My Empire General once suffered no less than three Killing Blow results and saved them all with his Talisman of Protection!