PDA

View Full Version : A Game Without Models?

agurus1
17-05-2011, 01:44
Does anyone forsee the hobby getting taken to a digital or high-tech realm? Perhaps in the future using holograms or something? I was watching the old starwars movie, when R2-D2 plays that chess game with Chewbacca and the thought hit me lol

Stinkfoot
17-05-2011, 01:48
You mean like a video game? Yes I could see video games becoming popular SOME DAY, but that day is so far off...

I think there will always be a niche for those of us who like building and painting models to use in a war game. Already there are more efficient gaming-options, but the things that draw me at least to 40k (beers with friends, the modelling aspect, etc) aren't in danger of being replaced by holograms.

Nurgling Chieftain
17-05-2011, 02:10
It's called "Dawn of War". :D

Project2501
17-05-2011, 02:25
It's called "Dawn of War". :D

Tha game is nothing like the table-top hobby.

Google search Warhammer40k videogames, it's been badly (for the most part) attempted long ago, and failed accordingly.

Untill GW themselves put their own effort into it (and not just their 'blessing' to make it using their IP), I don't see it happenning as, it's just not what the hobby is about.

Also, try Vassal.

agurus1
17-05-2011, 04:06
I don't want it to change to the mainstream part of the hobby, but I am concerned, especially when I see more and more people playing with unpainted armies, that the hobby sometimes is overlooked in a need to win?

Twisted100
17-05-2011, 06:17
i hope not, they charge an arm and a leg for plastic who knows what they would charge for a hi tech version :eek:

carldooley
17-05-2011, 07:54
a better chance is someone using a prototyping machine to make his or her own custom models.

MOMUS
17-05-2011, 08:02
Also, try Vassal.

I was trying to remember vassal at the club last week. Is Vassal 40k still working? Or back with a new module?

Isfimbur
17-05-2011, 08:11
The bloodbowl video game is fun. It did not replace my intrest inte the table top thou. The modelling and painting part of the hobby is to important to me.

ShodansOwn
17-05-2011, 09:25
I have the answer: Augmented Reality. Google it if you dont know what this is. We would still play on tabletops, but there would just be empty bases, with a barcode-like symbol. On the screen (or glasses, whatever) the bases would have animated figures, they would hit each other in CC, fire guns in the shooting phase (with target models appropriately receiving hits). Distance measurements would be on-screen and inarguable.

This is not a far-future fantasy, but rather something that could be fairly adequately executed right now:There is already an AR game on PS3 using the playstation Eye. Its a Magic:TG style card game with barcodes on the edges of the cards which the Eye reads. On screen the characters come out of the cards and fight each other when the cards are played against one another. I'm not sure if the game is any fun, but the technology works pretty nicely.

sgtspiff
17-05-2011, 09:39
Augmented reality is the *****. At least until they have completed holographic technology.
The problems is the interaction that will be far less then real figs playing.

carldooley
17-05-2011, 10:09
CC in AR would definitely be interesting...

Starblayde
17-05-2011, 10:11
Does anyone forsee the hobby getting taken to a digital or high-tech realm?
I've played Blood Bowl with a piece of graph paper, a pencil and a LOT of rubbing out. Is that high tech enough for you?

Abaraxas
17-05-2011, 11:13
Im definitely in it for the miniatures themselves,the game is secondary at best.

I do enjoy dawn of war though :o