PDA

View Full Version : Was all of this deliberately planned to occur on the same day?

Balerion
17-05-2011, 08:05
I've been a GW gamer for 10+ years, and the trifecta of announcements they hit us with today is completely unprecedented.

They confirmed a switchover to resin...
...that will be accompanied by a June price increase...
...and will occur in accordance with an embargo on international sales...

Was it just a complete accident that all of this was revealed today, or was it intentional? Was their hand forced in any way? The resin switch and the embargo were both rumoured in advance, but confirmation of both things appeared to come from non-official sources (the German facebook post for the resin switch, and Maelstrom's announcement for the embargo).

If I didn't know better I would surmise that these are the desperate actions of a dying empire. Seems very strange to me that it all came at once. :wtf:

Chaos and Evil
17-05-2011, 08:27
Just a co-incidence.

blongbling
17-05-2011, 08:46
The trade terms change has been in motion for a long time as they are reviewed each year and adjustments made, the change to resin has been worked on for several years now. Yesterday was most likely chosen as it was a national managers meeting in the UK so that they can explain to the store guys what is happening and why.

shelfunit.
17-05-2011, 09:48
Governments have long been know for burying bad news in amongst other large announcements (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1358985/Sept-11-a-good-day-to-bury-bad-news.html)
It comes as no surprise to see GW starting to do this as well...

yabbadabba
17-05-2011, 09:51
The trade terms change has been in motion for a long time as they are reviewed each year and adjustments made, the change to resin has been worked on for several years now. Yesterday was most likely chosen as it was a national managers meeting in the UK so that they can explain to the store guys what is happening and why. You know that the warseerites would rather stick to the conspiracy theories mate :eek:.

Dryaktylus
17-05-2011, 09:56
...but confirmation of both things appeared to come from non-official sources (the German facebook post for the resin switch,...

It was an official source, just on a lower level (a GW store). But yeah, in fact it was an accident.

Voss
17-05-2011, 14:22
Intentional, probably. So much bad news at once, they hoped the trauma would make people forget how badly they treat their customers.

Griefbringer
17-05-2011, 14:30
Didn't Machiavelli back in the early 16th century recommend releasing all the bad news at once, since that would result in lower overall impact than releasing them individually?

Avian
17-05-2011, 20:54
It was Machiavelli, but it wasn't bad news, it was cruelty. If you were going to do nasty stuff to people, it was better to do it all at once and be over with it, rather than having some on-going low-level nastiness that just made you come off as a tyrant.

ColShaw
17-05-2011, 21:02
See, that doesn't work for me. I tend to think that the boiled-frog analogy can work better. You drop a frog in boiling water, it jumps out. But you put a frog in lukewarm water and sloooowly raise the temperature... ta da. Boiled frog. Dumping lots of bad news at once is like dropping people into really hot water. Maybe they'll sit there and take it, in which case you're fine. But if they jump out of the pot and run away...?

Mace1982
17-05-2011, 21:04
It was not deliberate but a well thought out and planned strategy, whatever people think about the general store staff, the guys behind the money counters in games workshop are by far and large some of the most cunning and tactile beings this side of the multi-verse. This is part of the gamesworkshop strategy they slap youw ith this information now a few months down the line only the hardcore griefers will continue the issue everyone else will have found a new bandwagon to jump on and rant and rave about :-)

noneedforaname
17-05-2011, 21:12
some of the most cunning and tactile beings this side of the multi-verse.

I dont care how tactile they are I aint touching them :eek:

scarletsquig
17-05-2011, 21:30
You forgot to mention the 4th piece of news - that GW will no longer be giving any more than 1 weeks notice of new releases in future, and locking down everything so we won't know what army is being released until a week before it's out.

Inquisitor Kallus
17-05-2011, 21:34
Was this official? I cant say I blame them after the Chapterhouse Studio thing

Motley
17-05-2011, 21:35
If I didn't know better I would surmise that these are the desperate actions of a dying empire. Seems very strange to me that it all came at once. :wtf:

I dont think so, actually i think they must be doing pretty good on the eyes of the board directors. A really good friend of mine told me that when GW make the first primarch's miniature thats when games workshop is using theirs last tool to survive......

so lets see....:rolleyes:

Balerion
17-05-2011, 22:19
You forgot to mention the 4th piece of news - that GW will no longer be giving any more than 1 weeks notice of new releases in future, and locking down everything so we won't know what army is being released until a week before it's out.
It's not that I forgot it, I wasn't even aware this happened! :eek:

Is there a thread discussing it? I'd like to get the details.

Griefbringer
17-05-2011, 22:38
It was Machiavelli, but it wasn't bad news, it was cruelty. If you were going to do nasty stuff to people, it was better to do it all at once and be over with it, rather than having some on-going low-level nastiness that just made you come off as a tyrant.

Thanks for the correction. Puts things nicely into perspective, also.

Max Jet
17-05-2011, 22:44
You know that the warseerites would rather stick to the conspiracy theories mate .

Do we really need these posts?

Blongbling just posted the facts. Remember, that most of the infos came from indipendent sources and the "4th" point is just a mere rumour. That alone answers it I think. And even if. Does it change anything?

yabbadabba
17-05-2011, 23:10
Do we really need these posts?

Blongbling just posted the facts. Remember, that most of the infos came from indipendent sources and the "4th" point is just a mere rumour. That alone answers it I think. And even if. Does it change anything? Whats wrong, sense of humour failure?

Hermanesq
17-05-2011, 23:21
I think it may have been realised that it was coming about, and a simple deduction of

'look at the shiny shiny keys *jangle jangle*

ignore the other stuff, cos the keys are soooo shiny *jangle jangle* went on.

Max Jet
18-05-2011, 00:38
Whats wrong, sense of humour failure?

A good joke should always be told only once.

Londinium
18-05-2011, 00:53
See, that doesn't work for me. I tend to think that the boiled-frog analogy can work better. You drop a frog in boiling water, it jumps out. But you put a frog in lukewarm water and sloooowly raise the temperature... ta da. Boiled frog. Dumping lots of bad news at once is like dropping people into really hot water. Maybe they'll sit there and take it, in which case you're fine. But if they jump out of the pot and run away...?

Politics is a bit different to business though. If you're incredibly brutal but only once your subjects will remember it for a long time and want to avoid punishment because they remember your brutality. However because you only did it once they'll also reason that you're not a cruel man but someone who did what needed doing at the time. Indeed they might even see you as a man of strength and virtu (Machiavelli's virtue). However if you continue a low key but ongoing campaign of terror against your citizens you become known as someone who resorts to violence for anything and rather than just being feared for what you can do, you become hated because your citizenry considers you quick to violence and for petty reasons.

Business is kinda different. If you totally rape your customers on one decision they may never come back to you because they have a choice of competitors and don't have an obligation to purchase goods from you, unlike people's obligations to obey their governments. This being said GW have adopted the long running incremental abuse towards their customers ever since the turn of the century because they seem to think they have no viable competition due to their massive size compared to other wargaming companies. Which as Machiavelli suggested has lead to their customers finding GW to be tyrannical and not caring about their customers. In some cases people have come to believe that everything GW does is to exploit their customers in some way.

Of course I think GW is too far gone in certain sectors of it's fanbase to be able to get away with such things with the 'all in one' technique. The last ten years has done that damage. Furthermore because GW instead of sorting out many of it's problems has resorted to constant price rising, this means it consigns itself to further constant price rising because of not sorting out core problems. Thus it robs itself of the big bang approach because it's constantly having to do things that it's customers hate.

LordOfTheFuzz
18-05-2011, 03:38
Sometimes I wonder if GW is actually a front for some Marketing PHD doing a grand research project on just what abuses a company's customers will put up with.

yabbadabba
18-05-2011, 07:03
A good joke should always be told only once.yeah... whatever.

I think GW have thought about this (for a change) and realised that whatever they announced at the National Manager's meeting would get leaked anyway, and that in the post-meeting drink loose tongues would wag more. Better idea just to front up with the lot.

blongbling
18-05-2011, 08:07
yeah... whatever.

I think GW have thought about this (for a change) and realised that whatever they announced at the National Manager's meeting would get leaked anyway, and that in the post-meeting drink loose tongues would wag more. Better idea just to front up with the lot.

yeah been there a few times Rob, lots of booze and talking :D

yabbadabba
18-05-2011, 08:09
yeah been there a few times Rob, lots of booze and talking :D Not you though Stuart, I never saw you under the influence or letting things slip :D :D

Gertjan
18-05-2011, 08:34
I dont think so, actually i think they must be doing pretty good on the eyes of the board directors. A really good friend of mine told me that when GW make the first primarch's miniature thats when games workshop is using theirs last tool to survive......

so lets see....:rolleyes:

Well, in that case they are pretty overdue since I have my wolfie wolfie primarch nicely standing in my cabinet...:p Tho you wouldn't say he's a primarch, even a scout beats him in size these days, scrawny dude.

But I think these announcements have more to do with a shift in the way they want their business structured and the changes being a result of that. Doubt there's a specific reasoning behind the amount of news now, it'll most likely just have turned out that way.

azhagmorglum
18-05-2011, 10:15
Intentional, probably. So much bad news at once, they hoped the trauma would make people forget how badly they treat their customers.

And it works ! See, nobody seemed to notice that there will be a(nother) price increase in june :shifty: