PDA

View Full Version : Skeleton archers in Vampire army?

mariogolbee
18-05-2011, 06:00
I'm thinking about starting a Vampire Count army, but I have several skeleton archer models I'd like to use. Can I use them with a Vampire Count army?

cagalli
18-05-2011, 06:10
There is no option in a VC army for archers. if you can remove the arms and give them spears or swords and shields they would work.

Bodysnatcher
18-05-2011, 06:18
Mix them in with the units to make them look different?

theJ
18-05-2011, 06:36
Bodysnatchers idea is probably the best. You are not allowed to use bow-skellies with the counts, so your best option is probably to simply add them as unit-fillers to your other skellies.

rob1992
18-05-2011, 06:39
You could use them as Tomb King allies. I think you'd need a Tomb King/Prince and a Liche Priest on top of them though.

mariogolbee
18-05-2011, 07:13
Thanks for the answers everyone. All of these answers help out a lot. I was also looking into the possibility of a Tomb King army. Something I can use skeletons in.

Althwen
18-05-2011, 07:47
Thanks for the answers everyone. All of these answers help out a lot. I was also looking into the possibility of a Tomb King army. Something I can use skeletons in.

You'd have more luck with Tomb Kings in that case. Technically VC can field skeletons too, but the normal blocks of skeletons are just not worth it in a VC army. Ghouls are the way to go if you want to build a competitive army.
The only skeletons you'll probably field in a VC army are Grave Guard and Black Knights and both don't look anything like they're likely to hold a bow in this unlife or the next.

Tomb kings allows you to utilise those precious skeleton archers like no other army. I've only played some low point games with them up till now, but their shooting seems to be awesome. Go for it!

Novrain
18-05-2011, 08:31
Or try digging out the old Storm of Chaos Sylvanian army list as that had all sorts of VC missile troops as I recall.

Andy p
18-05-2011, 08:43
You could use them as Tomb King allies. I think you'd need a Tomb King/Prince and a Liche Priest on top of them though.

Can you use Vampires and Tomb Kings as allies together? I thought that the Tomb Kings hated the Vampire Counts?

Artinam
18-05-2011, 09:30
You can rulewise ally anything with anything should you desire. You would have to sacrifice some fluff (to a degree) but even in fluff any alliance is more or less possible.

GodlessM
18-05-2011, 11:13
You can rulewise ally anything with anything should you desire.

No you can't; allies rules specify there must be 2 or more players a side to use them.

mariogolbee
18-05-2011, 16:02
Alright, I did find a PDF with a list for the Army of Sylvania. It has Sylvanian Militia listed as being able to trade spear and shield for crossbow. I think I may pick up the Storm of Chaos book as a nice supplement. I'm not sure how it would fly now, though.

I still like the idea of Tomb Kings and the idea of Vampire Counts. I'm going to have to look further into Tomb Kings and perhaps start my army as such. Later on, I'm sure I can use several of the skeleton models in a Vampire Counts army anyway, right? :) The issue I have with Tomb Kings is that every time I see the miniatures painted, they are done so very vibrantly. Aesthetically I favor rusty chain and plate over jade and gold.

Thank you again for all of your comments. They all help. I will appreciate any more insights I can get.

Korraz
18-05-2011, 17:26
If you play SoC rules, you might as well play internet army books. They are just as valid as the SoC lists (with the exception of the Slayer Cult, maybe.)

mariogolbee
19-05-2011, 06:29
Well, I just won a bid on Fleabay for the VC Army book. I'm still looking out for a TK Army book and a main rule book at a good price. I figure I'll take a look at all three before I get out of hand. My hope is to build a little of both and possibly move a skellie core unit back and forth between the two, if I like both armies.

Meanwhile, I may just get the IoB set to start with. I thought it'd be a wast of cash since I don't want to play Skaven or Elves, but at least it'll get me started playing around.