PDA

View Full Version : Empire Priestly Sigmar theme: Can it work?

Seabo
18-05-2011, 14:29
I've always envisioned an Empire army based around a small core of Templarish knights with a retinue of foot troops, backed up by a Captain, and a small artillery train.
The rest of the character slots would be filled by Priests and then the core would be tons of Fanatics and Free Company.
I plan to possibly push to 3,000pts.
Can it be somewhat competitive but stay true to the theme? I don't want any more then 3 Warmachines (Cannon/2 Mortars?) And am leary of getting the Steam Tank as it seems to be an autoinclude in most lists.
Freecompany hordes?
....:D
What do ya think of the concept?
I will throw up a list later on today.

BigbyWolf
18-05-2011, 14:41
Similar to an idea that I had for a Witch Hunter army.

I think the Knights of Sigmars Blood are noted in the armybook as having ties to the religious groups in the Empire. Personally, if you want to keep the theme I'd drop all of your artillery apart from 1 mortar. A wizard with "holy" themed magic...light or life or sometihng like that would be a good fit too. Or perhaps fire, to BURN THE HERETICS!

And quite how you justify Fanatics in anything but an OnG army is beyond me! :mad:

trotsky
18-05-2011, 14:55
He meant flagelents

BigbyWolf
18-05-2011, 15:13
He meant flagelents

Yeah...I was making a funny.

Besides...I think you mean flagellants. ;)

Back on the topic though, Free Company hordes- they can crank out a good amount of hatred-enhanced attacks, but they're very low S, and the troops themselves have no save. I'd suggest kitbashing the models with a few halberds so you can have some more "heavily armed" peasants.

Also, have you considered foot-knights as well? Mix the knights and greatswords kits to get a bit more elite infantry. Although this may be straying a little from your original idea.

explorator
18-05-2011, 15:17
Free Company are a turible choice for Empire core. Halberds>Swords>Spears>FreeCo.

Only trouble with Flagellants is they are restricted to units of 30. They are still great, but will often not make it to the end of the game, when crappier troops will just due to having larger units.

Haravikk
18-05-2011, 18:09
In terms of an optimal list anything with Free Company is going to suffer a little, as Spearman are better for the same points, and can dish out the same number of attacks, while other state troops are just plain better. That said, smaller units of Free Company can churn out more attacks, and while vulnerable, small units can be useful for their extra manoeuvrability.

It might be worth noting that Free Company do come with some spear or halberd like weapons, and you can buy shields separately, so it's possible to build some of them as state troops if you like the look but want to field them a bit more competitively.

They are still great, but will often not make it to the end of the game
Surely that's a point in their favour? They'll play just like they should ;)

I think the whole list is very do-able though, and could be good fun!

Seabo
19-05-2011, 07:39
Flagellants.....my bad lol.
I know that Free Company are rather lacking compared to the other State Troops but if I field a ton of them then its really no different from any other Empire infantry army :(.
I want it to be themed! A mass of undisciplined rabble and crazed believers following the preachers of the faith with a small contingent of State Troops to ride herd on them.
The Knights of Sigmars Blood is cool though, as is the concept of foot knights. Greatswords or Teutogen Guard types.
I also am now contemplating the idea of a Death Cult, devoted to Mor....
All dark robes and wailing death.
Gods the things you come up with working night shift ;)
Thanks for the replies so far!

Aluinn
19-05-2011, 10:23
I think it could work just fine:

-The Arch Lector is an excellent Lord choice.
-The Warrior Priest is an excellent Hero choice.
-If you have enough of these it's fine to go without a wizard because you'll drown your opponent in dispel dice :).
-Flagellants are pretty good.

For your undisciplined rabble I might suggest just using Flagellants, though, because Free Company are indeed a bit weak. You can take a Horde of 30 Flagellants as Core and another as Rare, and that'd be a fair number of models, really. If you needed more Core you could fill it out with regular Knights.

Alternatively, counting some sort of rabble as State Troops (Halberdiers or Swordsmen, probably) would work. You could use Bret Men-at-Arms if you like; I think they look pretty cool.

The major drawback will be a lack of artillery, but I've seen offensive Empire lists work well before. One thing I strongly recommend is, if taking Knights, to run them in fairly large units of ~15-20. 10 Inner Circle works if they have a combat-capable character, but otherwise you'll probably want the numbers and ranks.

Wesser
19-05-2011, 10:50
My Empire army is not a real fluff army, which I why I can take WP's

Empire people dont strike me as very religious. Unlike brets religion plays little part of their daily lives, and anyone saying "By Sigmar" is either swearing or unconciously warding off evil (kinda if I said "God in Heavens!").

I've not read a lot of novels, so I may be overlooking something, but building an Empire force around a religious theme seems stretched. I dont like witch hunter styles either, unless the army were free companies (=rabble and common mobs) and flagellants.

That being said very few armies lends itself well to a religious theme, and WP's works very well on the board, but thematically Empire is better suited to represent mercenary or bandit armies.

Skaven and Empire....perhaps the least religious chaps in warhammer are the only ones with priests....is kinda odd...

RanaldLoec
19-05-2011, 11:31
??? Sorry Wesser, I would have to disagree.

Religion plays a big role in many aspects of imperial life.

Look at the basic state troopers who carry small tokens to ward off evil or other superstitious trinkets and practices.

The fact that the Empire has priests fighting on the front lines and numerous orders of Templars dedicated to Sigmar, Ulric, Morr, Myrmidia and numerous other gods.

The fact that the different Temples employ Witch hunters to track down worshippers of the dark deities.

Look at Mordheim it was destroyed by a religious crusade ordered by the then Grand Theogonist, a large proportion of that force was religious fanatics and religious nutter knights.

So I think the premise of a witch hunter lead force is fine.

theshoveller
19-05-2011, 12:14
My idea for using Free Company was in a 50-strong horde, lead by a Warrior Priest. It cranks out a lot of attacks, it has ablative casualties before it loses its rank bonus and you can make it unbreakable. Stick it next to a big regiment of Flagellants and you've just created a roughly 25" wide tarpit in the middle of the table.

DeathlessDraich
19-05-2011, 12:33
I've always envisioned an Empire army based around a small core of Templarish knights with a retinue of foot troops, backed up by a Captain, and a small artillery train.
The rest of the character slots would be filled by Priests and then the core would be tons of Fanatics and Free Company.
I plan to possibly push to 3,000pts.
Can it be somewhat competitive but stay true to the theme? I don't want any more then 3 Warmachines (Cannon/2 Mortars?) And am leary of getting the Steam Tank as it seems to be an autoinclude in most lists.
Freecompany hordes?
....:D
What do ya think of the concept?
I will throw up a list later on today.

Definitely competitive.

1) Either mounted WPs with a Grandmaster with Laurels or the more popular Arch Lector on War Altar with 2 WP work very well. 2 Knight units - possibly 1 train is then needed.

2) Any combination of Cannons/mortars or Cannon/Hellstrom is strong enough in the shooting phase.

3) Free Company - obligatory in tournament armies but Not as a horde. 2 or more minimum sized units

freddieyu
19-05-2011, 13:36
Sigmarite theme can work very well..the AL on a WA gives you access to the Lore of Life, which is an excellent lore....WP give you solid magic defense, and if you want more you can always give 1 Aldred's casket of sorcery to steal spells from your opponent....