PDA

View Full Version : Necrosphinx or Colossus?

vinny t
19-05-2011, 21:57
Just a quick question. In a 2500 point pretty monster themed list, which is better to take, 2 Colossi and a Necrosphinx, or 2 Necrosphinxes? Another Colossi can be taken with the double sphinxes, but I am leaning away from that, as I would like some points to be freed up. The other monsters in the list are simply 2 warsphinxes with Fiery Roar.

Thanks for any replies!

GodlessM
19-05-2011, 21:58
That's not a comparison you can really make as each has its own role; what do you need more, a monster killer or a troop killer?

Gonzoyola
19-05-2011, 23:23
I would take 2 necros if you wanted to be sure you can get the job done you need them to do. sometimes one just wont do it.

I personally havent run the colossi so I cant comment on that, but I have had my Necrosphinx fall terribly short of the task ive set him up to sometimes.

vinny t
19-05-2011, 23:23
well, I have 2 warsphinxes, so probably monster killer

Dragoon999
19-05-2011, 23:27
kill them all and yoooouuuuurrr a god. :angel: Just had to finish the lyric.:cool:

Snake1311
20-05-2011, 00:05
People field 5 monsters in 2500 pts (3-4 of which T8), and then good honest dwarfs like myself get crap for fileding cannons. Seriously, screw you warseer!

OT - get the sphinx. T8 is a massive middle finger to all elite armies, which is about half of them. Chaos Warriors with great weapons? White Lions? Hammerers? Lord level Character with great weapon? Trololo, you all wound on 6s....

minionboy
20-05-2011, 00:18
I think the Warsphinx is great, but the Necrosphinx not so much, one of them is enough.

GodlessM
20-05-2011, 00:32
well, I have 2 warsphinxes, so probably monster killer

Necrosphinx it is then.

bluemage
20-05-2011, 02:24
I don't like the necrosphinx much. I'd rather take another warsphinx, a heirotitan and maybe something else.

vinny t
20-05-2011, 02:56
Well, I'm buying another warsphinx, and thus getting a necrosphinx head and arms. From there, I'm puting that on a manticore to serve as a Necrosphinx. I did that with a dragon for my first sphinx, and it turned out looking pretty sweet.

Kuroi
20-05-2011, 06:01
People field 5 monsters in 2500 pts (3-4 of which T8), and then good honest dwarfs like myself get crap for fileding cannons. Seriously, screw you warseer!

OT - get the sphinx. T8 is a massive middle finger to all elite armies, which is about half of them. Chaos Warriors with great weapons? White Lions? Hammerers? Lord level Character with great weapon? Trololo, you all wound on 6s....

Say hello to the dark elf assassins poison that always makes you wond on 3's ^^

DarkstarSabre
20-05-2011, 06:20
Eh, the sheer abundance of Goliath lists popping up makes me happy that I've started planning for a David Saurus list.

A David Saurus list?

Yep. Lore of Beasts Slann with 1 Oldblood and 3 Scar Veterans.

T8?

That's cute. Say hello to my characters. With halberds they're S9 with 7 or 8 attacks a piece.

sulla
20-05-2011, 06:32

Heh, against that many t8 monsters, I think I'd be cheering for the Dwarves. Anyway, it's not the cannons you get crap for, it's all the +2 and +3strength grudge throwers you get crap for.

Manbane caps out at s6...So you still wound on 6's. Poison is better vs the sphinx and the assassin should stay hidden until a character comes within reach.

Memnos
20-05-2011, 07:52
Three monsters is always better than 2. Keep them together and monsters will all die in a single turn, but more importantly, you'll break massive units with them.

Those 3d6 Thunderstomps plus your attacks means around 20 wounds/turn. Those massive units won't survive long.

Seabo
20-05-2011, 10:37
I like the Necrosphinx more for the fluff of it. But a one-shot HKB aint bad either lol.
Colossus with 2HW and WS10 I10 from Light is enough to ruin anyones day but I still think the T8 Thumpers pull out ahead because of better survivability.
BTW. I would really like to see what theconverted MantiSphinx looks like. Post a pic if you can please :D.

GodlessM
20-05-2011, 11:45

No it doesn't, it makes your strength be one higher than their toughness to a maximum of 6.