PDA

View Full Version : Necrosphinx Envenomed Sting - yay or nay?

StefDa
21-05-2011, 23:26
So I just bought my first Sphinx and will be assembling it like a Necrosphinx. The only thing I want to ask is - do you like to buy its Envenomed Sting upgrade? I don't know what to make of it.

Citadel97501
22-05-2011, 00:01
Assemble it with the sting, as it looks cool but don't buy it, remember auto-wound stops you from getting to use your killing blow, or heroic killing bow, thus reducing your effectiveness.

However definitely put it on a War-Sphinx.

The_Bureaucrat
22-05-2011, 07:03
nay (10 chars)

friendsofrhomb
22-05-2011, 11:30
or you could do THIS http://www.paintedlegions.co.uk/blog/?p=570
and have IT ALL!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA ! !!

I cant remember who gave me the link, but thats what im doing with mine when I get it

Haravikk
22-05-2011, 11:49
Envenomed reduces the chances of getting Heroic Killing Blow by 1/3rd at worst (4+ to hit, 6's cause poison).

Personally I'm disappointed by the whole ruling on poison + killing blow, especially with models still being made available with that combo. A better ruling would have been that you still roll to-wound with the poisoned hits, just to see if they cause killing blow as well as you stinger your enemy in the face.

If your necrosphinx is for monster hunting (which is really it's best role, though it makes a scary war machine hunter too!) then I'm not sure I'd personally rely too heavily on Heroic Killing Blow anyway. So while the envenomed sting reduces the killing blow chance by a quarter to a third, you're also gaining a 1 in 6 chance of ignoring your enemy's Toughness,. So instead of a ~12% chance of inflicting Heroic Killing Blow, you have a roughly ~27% chance of inflicting poison or Heroic Killing Blow, both of which are beneficial when monster hunting. This means nearly a third of your stinger attacks are going to cause extra hurt on the enemy monster, as opposed to one in six of your hits (so ~11-12% of attacks) causing Heroic Killing Blow.

So ehm… sorry to math hammer it a bit, but personally I do think that there is value to taking the envenomed sting, as while it's true you reduce the chance of the instant kill a bit, the chances aren't exactly superb to begin with, but with the added benefit of the venom you're going to do more hurting of monsters on average without needing to rely on the slim chance of slaying them in one go.

Plus the poisoned stinger looks cool.

bluemage
22-05-2011, 14:57
Assemble it how you want, But the poison upgrade isn't worth it. If you're taking a necrosphynx, you're doing it for the killing blow potential and poison just gets in the way of that.

GodlessM
22-05-2011, 15:39
However definitely put it on a War-Sphinx.

No point either since every time you use Thundercrush you will be not using the poison.

Ymir
22-05-2011, 16:39
but it seems to me that there are several situations where you wouldn't necessarily want to use the thundercrush, such as where your single roll to hit with it would be likely to fail, when the enemy have toughness 4 and good armour saves, and so on. If you're facing for example chaos warriors, I think I'd hesitate to use the thundercrush, and 10 pts fpr poison might very well pay off, especially as the sphinx's strenght isn't that high. And the thundercrush can't even be used against cavalry...

do Thumderstomp benefit from poison by the way?

In regards to the necrosphinx, I think there's some merit to Harravik's reasoning - it "only" has strenght 5, and it's regular killing blow won't work on monsters. Also, poison increases the likelihood to actually make a wound with that single strength 10 attack you do have, even if it means no heroic killing blow that round - you might have rolled a 6 to wound, but you might just as well have rolled a 1; poison guarantees a wound (except for ward saves) if you've rolled a 6 on to hit already . Where I up against heavy cavalry I''m not sure if I'd take the poison upgrade, but if I need my necrosphinx for monster killing, I really think it could be worthwile. I'm definitely gonna try it out.

bluemage
22-05-2011, 16:52
Thunderstomp doesn't benefit from poison, as you never roll to hit. Also thunderstomp doesn't benefit from special abilities.

Ymir
23-05-2011, 17:20
A reason not to put envonomed sting on the necrosphinx might be the fact that your rare allowance allows you to field exactly:
1 Casket of Souls
1 Hierotitan or 1 Colossus with AHW
1 SSC
1 Necrosphinx

at 2500 points games. If you take the envenomed sting, however, you surpass your allowance by 10 points.

Jericho
24-05-2011, 05:15
That's an interesting point with the math.

Sectux
24-05-2011, 23:31
I have found something similar at 2k

Casket, hierotitan and a colossus with bow of the desert - 500 exactly...

But on topic, don't take it. Poison will just give less chance for KB to work.

LordoftheBrassThrone
25-05-2011, 00:15
Why are you all chatting up HKB? I've played a necrosphinx three times now, and it's not pulled it off once. The chances are 1/12. So if you play a game and keep it in combat with something worth HKBing for every round of combat, you should get 1 off. And see it bounce off my 3+ ward :D But if you're in combat with something for 12 rounds of combat straight, either you've done something very right, or your opponents very bad.