PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here actively and often use the Buildings rules?

Blink
21-05-2011, 22:55
All the tournaments I've been to never use them and I rarely ever think about using them in casual games.

I was thinking about it, and they could probably leave some games entirely unbalanced by not only things like giving practical immunity to units inside.

Do you think buildings will ever become a standard common element of the game in tournaments and such?

LegionX
21-05-2011, 23:01
I've used them a couple of times, but usually count 'buildings' as ruins.

The buildings didn't exist in 3rd ed. and in 4th ed. were only part of the Cityfight supplement. 5th is the first edition where they've been part of the standard rulebook, so I think that many older players simply aren't used to them.

Who knows? Maybe they'll make them a bigger feature of the game in 6th, whenever that is :rolleyes:

NixonAsADaemonPrince
21-05-2011, 23:03
I must admit I tend to shy away from using buildings as they are so hard to destroy, and obviously make the unit inside practically invincible. They're are normally already enough transports on the board without adding more in the form of buildings.

Gilfred The Iron Knight
21-05-2011, 23:08
I have always viewed the new buildings rules as GW hamfisting the old cities of death book into the core rules. The only time i have used them is when playing planetstrike, for the bastions.

The Marshel
21-05-2011, 23:13
we tend to just avoid using non ruins, and where we do have proper buildings, well we just dont go into them.

we already take far too long to set up, i dont want to spend 20 mins debating what buildings are what when chances are we'll never actually use them

Perfect Organism
21-05-2011, 23:27
My group uses them all the time (not least because we went to a lot of effort making a big intact church and we like to use it as a centre-piece).

They are kind of a big deal. A heavy weapons squad inside an AV14 bunker is absolutely horrific. Sometimes I take units in the hope that there will be a building to put them in. Or take infiltrators just to prevent enemy forces deploying into one.

Still, I like that they make terrain even more significant and make siezing key points on the battlefield really important.

I do think they could use a tweak to make them easier to destroy (either dropping the recommended AV values or having harsher consequenses from the damage results - at the moment, buildings ignore pretty much anything short of being outright destroyed).

Electrix
21-05-2011, 23:31
My friends and I used a bunker once just to see what was up. I set up Lootas in it. Dear. God. After that we decided that it did make sense for a bunker to have a large AV, but kinda went our own way with then other structures, and didn't use bunkers again lol, just to keep things fair. As long as all the players agree, hey it works.

Grimbad
22-05-2011, 00:26
I used to, and they seemed alright. But I was terribly disappointed when first the Deff Rolla FAQ let you deff roll in ramming, then the core rules FAQ disallowed ramming buildings.

althathir
22-05-2011, 00:34
Honestly no my group don't use them, I'd fogotten about them.

ehlijen
22-05-2011, 00:51
Units in bunkers are hard to kill, yes, but easy to neuter for a turn: as buildings treat anything but a destroyed result as 'shaken', odds are great that the unit inside won't be able to shoot the turn after. Don't stray too far from the standard suggested AV12 though, at least not without warning the player or putting the building far enough from the deployment edges.

What I've seen buildings be abused for more often is free movemet. If you have a building in the middle of the table, move to within 2" of a door on one side and jump: you gain 2" + length of the building door to door as free movement. Next turn jump out for another 2". Be really careful where you put buildings that have doors that are far apart, they can drastically change the balance between shooting and close combat.

Don't ditch them just because of that, just be aware of how buildings affect the game and make sure both players can plan they tactics accordingly.

big squig
22-05-2011, 01:50
I use them all the time. They're a blast. They're even more fun if you model gun placements on the windows.

agurus1
22-05-2011, 02:19
I used to, and they seemed alright. But I was terribly disappointed when first the Deff Rolla FAQ let you deff roll in ramming, then the core rules FAQ disallowed ramming buildings.

codex trumps BRB yes?

chamelion 6
22-05-2011, 02:47
Units in bunkers are hard to kill, yes, but easy to neuter for a turn: as buildings treat anything but a destroyed result as 'shaken', odds are great that the unit inside won't be able to shoot the turn after. Don't stray too far from the standard suggested AV12 though, at least not without warning the player or putting the building far enough from the deployment edges.

What I've seen buildings be abused for more often is free movemet. If you have a building in the middle of the table, move to within 2" of a door on one side and jump: you gain 2" + length of the building door to door as free movement. Next turn jump out for another 2". Be really careful where you put buildings that have doors that are far apart, they can drastically change the balance between shooting and close combat.

Don't ditch them just because of that, just be aware of how buildings affect the game and make sure both players can plan they tactics accordingly.

Pretty much agree... We use buildings often and have some large ones. We deal with the issue of free movement through buildings by treating the interior of them as rough terrain and making units actually move through them, using a die or a single model on the roof to roughly mark their progress through the structure. It workd really well for us and really slows movement, as it should.

Dangersaurus
22-05-2011, 03:06
Our group uses them often. When setting up we try to put them in areas that aren't likely to be deployment zones. It's also important not to give them too high of an AV.

We've house-ruled out the latest FAQ ruling that says you can't shoot/ram unoccupied buildings. It's neither fun nor flavorful.

AlphariusOmegon20
22-05-2011, 05:05
Pretty much agree... We use buildings often and have some large ones. We deal with the issue of free movement through buildings by treating the interior of them as rough terrain and making units actually move through them, using a die or a single model on the roof to roughly mark their progress through the structure. It workd really well for us and really slows movement, as it should.

We use the rules constantly.

We fixed the issue of free movement by using a form of the WFB 8th Ed. Building rules. You move into the building in one turn, then you can leave on the other side the next turn.

It really put a screeching stop to any issues with free movement.

ShodansOwn
22-05-2011, 06:00
units actually move through them, using a die or a single model on the roof to roughly mark their progress through the structure. It workd really well for us and really slows movement, as it should.

I really like this idea, it makes me think of a radar blip.

My group only plays with ruins and a few bits of area terrain. We're considering adding some buildings, but while reading through the rules its not generating enthusiasm. I'm way more likely to build open-topped complex bunkers that you have to move through manually, because you're not "in" anything.

That said, it might be a good idea to have one or two pillboxes kicking around in the terrain bin, mainly for use as an objective.

TheMav80
22-05-2011, 06:03
Use them a lot. Use the Planetstrike towers and the fantasy buildings using the Building Rules.

chamelion 6
22-05-2011, 06:15
I really like this idea, it makes me think of a radar blip.

My group only plays with ruins and a few bits of area terrain. We're considering adding some buildings, but while reading through the rules its not generating enthusiasm. I'm way more likely to build open-topped complex bunkers that you have to move through manually, because you're not "in" anything.

That said, it might be a good idea to have one or two pillboxes kicking around in the terrain bin, mainly for use as an objective.

We started out trying to model the intact buildings so you could separate the floors and remove the roofing but it just got to be a pain and it never really worked that well. Now we just use them as they are and set the models aside as they enter the building. We have a couple of really large buildings that can take several turns to move through. It's not a perfect system, but it works well enough and you do get the feeling of a unit moving room to room with the random movement...

Dangersaurus
22-05-2011, 06:49
We fixed the issue of free movement by using a form of the WFB 8th Ed. Building rules. You move into the building in one turn, then you can leave on the other side the next turn.

It really put a screeching stop to any issues with free movement.

That's just the normal rule. You can't embark and disembark in the same turn. Unless you're not allowing any further movement as part of your house rule?

Any exits over 4" apart can still give you a movement bump, but in practice they need to be a bit farther apart for it to really matter.

AlphariusOmegon20
22-05-2011, 06:58
That's just the normal rule. You can't embark and disembark in the same turn. Unless you're not allowing any further movement as part of your house rule?

Any exits over 4" apart can still give you a movement bump, but in practice they need to be a bit farther apart for it to really matter.

Correct, no further movement other than entering/leaving a building.

stroller
22-05-2011, 07:04
Use them about every other game. City fight is a lot of fun so we tend to vary the terrain from open plain to city. We have a box of sealed buildings and a selection where the roof comes off (isnt cork floor tiling wonderful?) so if troops enter a building we swap out the "open" one so we can see what we're doing.

Escaflowne_Z
22-05-2011, 09:19
Buildings are useful, flavorful, and flat cool. A welder buddy of mine made 4 or 5 bunkers out of honest to goodness angle bar and sheet steel. Indestructible and fits right into the battlefield, and the top is removable for ease of use too. Brilliant use of his spare shop time. :)

AndrewGPaul
24-05-2011, 11:58
I've used them a couple of times, but usually count 'buildings' as ruins.

The buildings didn't exist in 3rd ed. and in 4th ed. were only part of the Cityfight supplement. 5th is the first edition where they've been part of the standard rulebook, so I think that many older players simply aren't used to them.

Who knows? Maybe they'll make them a bigger feature of the game in 6th, whenever that is :rolleyes:

Well, the first edition of the current "generation"; 1st and 2nd had buildings rules in the core rules. From where I'm sitting, it's the younger players who aren't used to them. :)

It's possibly more to do with the fact that intact buildings haven't really been part of the 40K look, with the exception of Ork adobe buildings in the corner of the od battle report.

chromedog
24-05-2011, 12:20
We use them all the time. But our buildings tend to have ONE access point and parapets and 2-3 firepoints. We have a grand total of ZERO planetstrike bastion kits, and the bunkers we have are made from existing 2nd ed or earlier WD or cardboard/plastic bulkhead terrain sets (several sets of card bunkers from WD, the original card/plastic IG bastion from 2nd ed).

Ork players in bunkers tend not to put their lootas on the parapets lest they make it easier to bring the building down around their ears, and flamers tend to cook them inside.
With the d6 hits if you hit a fire point with them.

A lot of players aren't used to or aware there is a difference between buildings and ruins or tend to play a curious mash-up of both rules (it's quite simple. BUILDINGS have an AV, Ruins are a cover save.). Buildings don't give you a cover save - you just can't be shot at.

Dorn's Arrow
24-05-2011, 12:25
Yes, the Bristol Vanguard have a full collection of buildings and uses the rules for their tournaments. The organisers set them out as being AV12 12-man capacity with fire points as per the model and that works just fine. Cut & Thrust has its own collection (mostly bastions) and it's common to use them with the same rules for simplicity's sake.

The error most people make is in assuming that since the only common building is a bastion then all buildings have to be AV14 with the capacity to be open-topped and let whole units blaze away from inside. A bit of common sense makes them a lot less unbalancing.

LonelyPath
24-05-2011, 12:41
I quite often use the buildings rules as the tables at my regular Monday night club tend to have buildings on them more often than not.