PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Themed Space Maries Direction

Grendrill
22-05-2011, 18:50
Hey Guys,

I've been collecting for a while, have 2nd Company Marines and Black Legion and I came up with an idea a couple of days ago with going for my own chapter.

Inspired by David Gemmels Troy series the Trojan army was clad in gold armour, so I was thinking with following with that. I had pretty well established the colour scheme I want to go with (as follows) but I'm wondering who should be the founding chapter, and also whether to stick with the standard Marine codex or go with Grey Knights or Black Templars... or BA or DA or whatever the general consensus is of which would fit the theme best.

I like the idea of GK or BT because of the cloaks buut the idea of the GK models having CC weapons for standard troops fits well for my Trojan theme.

Or should I use GK models with a different codex?
Don't use that above statement as trying to combine codices - Just meaning having GK represent Initiates if I used the BT codex, so on, so forth.

Anyways, feedback would be greatly appreciated and here is the colour scheme I was thinking of going with.

1st Company (Veterans)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/Grendrill/Trojan%20Marines/Trojan1st.jpg

2nd Company
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/Grendrill/Trojan%20Marines/Trojan2ndalt.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/Grendrill/Trojan%20Marines/Trojan2nd.jpg

BTW which 2nd Company colours do you think looks best?
And for any queries its Shining Gold and Red Gore primarily

ThunderKnight
22-05-2011, 20:05
Cool concept. I think, looking at your colour scheme, with the Red and the Gold they'd make perfect Blood Angels descendent's. I can picture using the Gladiatorial Sanguinary Guard armour to give this idea of Ancient Greek style soldiers.

I haven't seen the version of Troy you reference, so I'm thinking of conventional Troy soldiers. I think Knights and Templars are derived from a totally different time frame than the Warriors of Troy, if you wanted to get that Greek/Spartan/Troy feel and not just the colour scheme I'd suggest Blood Angels as a good place to start.

Saying that, you could definitely also mix in Dark Angels robes as Togas. The DA sprue has some nice upgrades on it (including Combat Shields and nice swords) which can be mixed well with Blood Angels stuff too.

For the 2nd Company I prefer the unified look, (the first image shown) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/Grendrill/Trojan%20Marines/Trojan2ndalt.jpg. In the second image, the brightness of the Shoulder pads is out of sync with the colour palette and clashes with the subdued gold.

MajorWesJanson
23-05-2011, 00:12
I'd vote Blood Angels too, with the sanguinary guard bodies for veterans and officers. Try assault squads without packs for the sword and pistol look?

If you are looking for a name, maybe something like "Sons of Troyus" with "Troyus" being a Great Crusade Blood Angel?

Charistoph
23-05-2011, 01:37
Bah, be a man, build them with using the Black Templar in mind (the codex really isn't that bad).

That way when they get their overpowered codex in the next year or so, you won't be seen as a band-wagoner.

Lord-Caerolion
23-05-2011, 01:42
You might want to have a look at the Minotaurs. They have a greek theme, and have practically the exact same colour scheme you've put.

Uberskooper
23-05-2011, 03:46
http://i.imgur.com/tvzSu.jpg

This is the first thing I thought of. It's kind of sad.

Bah, be a man, build them with using the Black Templar in mind (the codex really isn't that bad).

That way when they get their overpowered codex in the next year or so, you won't be seen as a band-wagoner.

This is a good suggestion. Alternatively you can be like the legions of Space Marine players fielding your Blood Angel-Space Wolves count as Grey Knights, all of them still gray plastic of course.

wyvirn
23-05-2011, 05:26
I would recommend looking at it from the other end, getting more source material. I liked the Aeneas, I would pick up a translation from the library. Book (chapter) 2 in particular has a lot of imagery to use and inspire with.
I also remember translating a lot of forms of 'blood' and 'bloody', so the BA might be a good fit.

AlphariusOmegon20
23-05-2011, 05:55
Try using a Sang Guard front with an SM commander caped back. Might give you the look you want.

Gutted
23-05-2011, 06:13
I would check out the Iron Snakes as well. Their based on Greek inspired sea faring culture and might prove a good reference.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Iron_Snakes

Not sure what dex you would use. Blood Angels are probably the best bet.

Shamana
23-05-2011, 06:20
Black Templars aren't big on defense, which I'd expect any Troy-based army to be. Vanilla marines descended from the Imperial Fists, perhaps?

Charistoph
23-05-2011, 06:27
I guess it boils down to "What defines a Trojan army?"

All we really know is how well they defended their city, yes? At least in normal popular myth. Going solely by that, then it's Imperial Fists or one of its successors.

But, could they be defined by something else? They were known in their world to be a good army as well, that's why many of the city-states of Greece banded together to fight them, not just because of their defenses.

Just don't make Rhinos to look like horses, that's how the Trojans were beat, not what they were famous for building, so it makes it quite tacky.

Gutted
23-05-2011, 06:41
I guess it boils down to "What defines a Trojan army?"

All we really know is how well they defended their city, yes? At least in normal popular myth. Going solely by that, then it's Imperial Fists or one of its successors.

With the exception of the Unforgiven successors do not inherit their tactics and combat doctrines from their geneseed. Only the various mutations/deficiencies. Edit: They of course can have similar themes but it isn't a limiting factor by any stretch.

Lothlanathorian
23-05-2011, 06:52
Personally, I would just recommend against the Shining Gold and suggest using 'non-metallic metallics'. So, a gold color, but, not one of GW's glittery metallic paints. I am loathe to use the word, but, 'gaudy' is what springs to mind lol.

Also, Grey Knight Nemesis Force Halberd arms to look like spears would be cool. Use them as power weapons or, if you use the BA Codex, use these and the Blades Encarmine rules for them on models that can have them.

Grendrill
24-05-2011, 01:44
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.
Looks like I'll end up going with BA for the theme of the army - which isn't what I thought I would end up going with... but hey, thats why I went for feedback.

agurus1
24-05-2011, 02:01
I was actually going to suggest Space Wolves codex. the proliferation of HQ choice (up to 4) and single model units can generate that heroic feel that was present in the Illiad (like one hero vs another or vs a lot of folks). also the cheaper basic marines means that you can field more of them for that large, infantry block type army. they also have that fraternity type feel I would expect from a Greek fighting unit.

Kloud13
24-05-2011, 03:09
For a Trojan Themed Army, I would go with the Blood Angels. There Elite units with nipples on the power armour seem very Greek to me. And as a finishing touch, I would put on the back of your Storm Raven, "We Got You Covered".

rayrod64
24-05-2011, 21:58
Blood Angels yes

how about giving the unit that bloodraged that ability only when they defend.
like the Spartans at thessaley...

dont foget to check out Scibor Minis they have a great spartan sci fi warrior

Shamana
24-05-2011, 22:25
I say buy Blood Angels and play them as vanilla marines - I bet not many people in the local club have done it that way :) .

On second thought, don't. Bloody blood angels getting cheaper devastator weapons than the smurfs, what is the world coming to...

slingersam
25-05-2011, 10:14
I would go with either SW or Grey Knights and do an all termie army, kind of like 300. Were every model has a SS + PW, Can even add a couple of Thunder Hammers if you want

Shamana
25-05-2011, 10:59
Actually iirc Troy had a pretty large army, and a lot of allies from half the Greek world - Thracians and Amazons for sure, and iirc some others. While they had no lack of champions, I don't think 300 is an apt analogy. GKs could work with plenty of henchmen, I suppose, but overall I still think regular marines with some fancy conversions would be good.

slingersam
25-05-2011, 18:25
Oh ok. I was just going off like making a the 12 guys from 300 and saying that is your army

BrazenRogue
25-05-2011, 21:31
You might want to have a look at the Minotaurs. They have a greek theme, and have practically the exact same colour scheme you've put.

I'll second this. Their background rocks, for one. And while it does mean 'boring' old Codex: Space Marines, taking Chapter Master Moloc (himself a spear and shield wielding terminator), you get Preferred Enemy: Space Marines as chapter tactics. Given the amount of Grey Knight and Blood Angels that are cropping up recently, that'd be pretty fun...