PDA

View Full Version : blight drones

twistedmarine
22-05-2011, 23:16
I love the look of the blight drones and was considering adding some to my plague marines. So, I was wondering how well/bad they perform? Do they perform best single, in 2's, or in 3's, or more(apocalypse). What units do they fair well against etc etc.

Thanks, twisted marine.

MOMUS
23-05-2011, 05:16
Im surprised a certain someone isnt all over this thread...

Yes, blights drones are very good. I rememer seeing a few competitive lists that ran them 3x3.
Cant remember stats will have to dig out my IA books.

Excessus
23-05-2011, 05:25
Mannimarco can't be online 24/7 you know ;)

Blight Drones, I have always wanted to try one out, but I don't know what the rules are...

Lord Gabranth
23-05-2011, 05:46
Mannimarco can't be online 24/7 you know ;)

Blight Drones, I have always wanted to try one out, but I don't know what the rules are...

Lol, no he cant be but he is with us here in spirit.

But back on topic, I have a buddy of mine that is getting one or two in this thursday, so I will find out how they do in combat once he gets them assembled and painted.

And the rules for them can be found in the IA books 7 and Apoc. 2

Maw cannon that can work as a template or blast and a reaper autocannon.

AlphariusOmegon20
23-05-2011, 05:50
Im surprised a certain someone isnt all over this thread...

Give him time. He'll be here as soon as he can. ;)

DuskRaider
23-05-2011, 08:53
I've used 3 in a list. It depends how you run them, while I only had three I ran them grouped up but really in 3 separate lone squads to confuse my enemy. In general they're deadly. 24" max movement, a Battle Cannon, nasty Template weapon, and a Reaper Autocannon to back all of that up. At the very least they'll keep the enemy busy while the rest of your force does what they need to.

Gingerwerewolf
23-05-2011, 12:45
They are a Fast Flying Vindicator. They are brilliant for supporting a unit of Bikers with some heavy firepower. Always keep them hull down and you're sorted. Having multiples of them is better than just one but even for the Arrrg SHOOT IT" they are well worth the points

Against Guard they are a no brainer, as even if you end up in close combat they are still nasty (Always Explode on Destruction)

Mannimarco
23-05-2011, 13:08
hmm I have a rep?

Would you believe we were PMin each other last night about Nurgle tactics in general (yes we discussed these things).

The Blight Drone is almost a no brainer choice seeing as its a fast attack, what else are you going to take in that slot? Think "Land speeder with a mawcannon" and you wont go far wrong.

Personally I run 2, used to be 3 but even I started to feel slightly cheesy about it and figured 1 would die far to easily. Plague Marines dont do a whole lot in assault so Blight Drones are used to thin out any enemy troops before the PMs hit.

The secret is to have something bigger and scarier looking so that gets shot instead of the drones. For this I use plague hulks as (much like the defiler) the seem to draw an inordinate amount of firepower for what they are capable of.

Latro_
23-05-2011, 17:21
hmm I have a rep?

i clicked on the thread cus i knew you'd jump on it, so yes :).

Mannimarco
23-05-2011, 17:35
Neato Ive always wanted to be famous for something :D

Well folks for all your FW Chaos needs you know where to find me ;)

Wyrmwood
23-05-2011, 17:44
A Battle Cannon and Reaper Autocannon? I also thought they were more like Tau drones in size... I'd never noticed that image of a drone hovering next to a Dreadnought. :shifty:

Lord Gabranth
23-05-2011, 17:45
Pretty sure the drone is on a 40mm base if not bigger

Wyrmwood
23-05-2011, 17:48
Pretty sure the drone is on a 40mm base if not bigger

Aye, it is. It's bigger than a Dreadnought! As I said, I'd never noticed the attached image before... Five minutes ago? And my eyes work fine! :rolleyes:

Lord Gabranth
23-05-2011, 18:12
Aye, it is. It's bigger than a Dreadnought! As I said, I'd never noticed the attached image before... Five minutes ago? And my eyes work fine! :rolleyes:

Sorry dude, never saw that pic before.

twistedmarine
23-05-2011, 18:18
Where are the rules for these buggers? I looked in both apoc book and didn't see um. I also have the first fw apoc book, and didnt see um.

Mannimarco
23-05-2011, 18:21
They're in IA7 (Vraks 3) as well as IAA2.

You're going to need a unit of plague marines to unlock them but its not like you need much incentive to take plague marines.

twistedmarine
23-05-2011, 18:27
Alrighty thanks. Looks like ill have to pick up IAA2. Any other cool nurgly units in there?

Mannimarco
23-05-2011, 18:35
The Plague Hulk is in there.

IA7 has Necrosius, the plague ogryns (which you can use in a CSM army according to the Adepticon tourny rules pdf) and the "Servants of Decay" LATD list but thats not for use with your CSM army.

AlphariusOmegon20
23-05-2011, 21:25
Neato Ive always wanted to be famous for something :D

Well folks for all your FW Chaos needs you know where to find me ;)

Marco, you're like a moth drawn to a flame when someone posts something about Chaos in general, much less anything about FW. ;)

Latro_
24-05-2011, 07:28
hehe someone has to be, the spikey dudes need all the love they can get, shame there isnt a rep button on the fourm i'd of been clicking it lots heh

Inquisitor Kallus
24-05-2011, 13:19
i clicked on the thread cus i knew you'd jump on it, so yes :).

Ha haa, seriously, its true, I did exactly the same thing. However its not a bad thing Mannimarco, quite the opposite in fact as I find your views similar to mine and enjoy reading your posts.

As to the drones, ive only seen them on paper in my Vraks book, but ive heard theyre good.

Mannimarco
24-05-2011, 13:49
Cheers folks.

They're really good, even better that they're a fast attack. Now Chaos actually have a viable fast attack choice that isnt sickeningly overcosted or just plain garbage compared to its loyalist counterpart.

AlphariusOmegon20
24-05-2011, 13:53
Cheers folks.

They're really good, even better that they're a fast attack. Now Chaos actually have a viable fast attack choice that isnt sickeningly overcosted or just plain garbage compared to its loyalist counterpart.

Because of you, Marco, I might be throwing 3 into my Death Guard army when I get that far (Take a look at the how many projects thread to see why I wrote it that way. I got a while before I get there.)

twistedmarine
24-05-2011, 17:54
I was wondering why they have armor instead of a toughness, but if you think of them as chaos landspeeders I guess it makes sense. I still would have liked them better if they were say, t6 with 2 wounds.

Lord Gabranth
24-05-2011, 18:03
Still 12, 11, 10 isnt bad for it. And the rules for its wrecked result make a unit that I want to get close to enemy troop units. Its, imo, a nurgle suicide bomber.

twistedmarine
24-05-2011, 18:17
Yeah, not complaining about their stats at all. Just struck me as odd that they have armor instead of toughness. When I look at the model I see a creature, not a vehicle. Could be just me though. But, without armor value it couldn't have its nifty explosion rule.