PDA

View Full Version : Which Army Should I go for ?

tomorrowseer
01-04-2006, 20:34
As you can see i thought i had made my mind up on Eldar but I keep looking back at other Races I know I have to make my mind up before i start buying so i need help, what do you think?

Kasrkin 666
01-04-2006, 20:39
No Imperial Guard!?:D :p
-666:p

starlight
01-04-2006, 20:41
We'll need some more info on:

What do you like - gameplay wise/etc?

Personally I'm in favour of Tyranids (which I voted for), but that's just me right now. I'm also working on a DEWC themed as Harlequins. Eldar and Necrons have never done it for me. My other armies include Orks, IG, SoB, Salamanders.

giner
01-04-2006, 20:42
What is your play style?

Ragnar
01-04-2006, 20:45
Better off waiting for new Eldar codex later in year if you want to start an Eldar army, as both the minis and the codex are looking very dated now.

Dark eldar have craptastic minis and probably wont be getting an update for a few years.

Necrons, again wont be getting an update for at least a few years and the army can make for a very boring playing style. However, depending on the colour scheme you choose can be a very easy to paint army.

Tryanids had a new codex released a few months back so no update needed, along with a lot of really nice new minis. Lots of options in terms of painting, modelling and playing styles so my vote goes for the nids.

tomorrowseer
01-04-2006, 20:46
I am just starting out so I don't really have a play style, I know I want an army that isn't human. My friend collects chaos so maybe something which would be able to thrash him. :D

starlight
01-04-2006, 20:55
What sort of army does he have? Lots of infantry? Lots of Tanks? Big killy gribblies?

Since you're new. I'd suggest shying away from the Eldar cousins as they require a fair bit of experience to use effectively. Either would make a good second army, but the learning curve as your first would be mighty steep.:(

Necrons have many advantages as a first army:
- dead easy to paint
- rock hard (very forgiving while you learn)
- excellent firepower

The down side is that they are seen as a beginners army, especially if you lean towards the flashy bits like Monoliths and C'Tan. Stick with your Troops and Necrons are very hard to beat.

Tyranids are a good all-rounder army. You can play a horde or a Godzilla list (many TMC). It can be fast or medium speed, shooty or all CC. Very versitile, yet reasonably easy to pick up and learn.

Your call.:D

tomorrowseer
01-04-2006, 20:59
My friends Army is mostly infantry as far as i know the ownly mechanical things he has is a Defiler a Land Raider and a Predator

Kasrkin 666
01-04-2006, 21:23
I can tell you not to go for Tyranids if your new to the game.My first army when I started and quit in a couple of weeks cuz' of the confusion.Go for Necrons since they are good for beginners in my opinion.Also I see you don't like human based armies,right?
-666:cries:

Anvils Hammer
01-04-2006, 22:07
IG not included in the poll?!?!?! I abstain!

seriously, I reccomend IG to everyone because Its by far my favortiy army, but I also really like tyranids, so go with them.

DraXaus
01-04-2006, 22:22
Eldar, Dark Eldar and Tyranids are not really forgiving for a new players, and you may tier of necrons quite quickly. They are the easiest to paly and cheapest to collect, but they lack "flavor" in my opinion. They are boring to look at, but out of the list of amries, it's the only one that is more forgiving. And after you've come to grips with the game play, you may want to try a more advanced army.

Have you thought about Tau or Orks as well?

Kasrkin 666
02-04-2006, 05:25
Anvils Hammer: Ditto:D
-666:p

tomorrowseer
02-04-2006, 09:59
The only reason I didn't put IG or SM was the fact I don't like the imperium I think its a bit dictating. Plus i thought if i was a non-human race it would be different. :D

starlight
02-04-2006, 10:05
The best army is the one that you like.:D Of the ones you identified, I'd say Necrons for ease, Tyranids for diversity. Start collecting and get playing. If you change your mind, sell or trade the models and move on.

Cadian 21st
02-04-2006, 10:10
- IMO, choose whatever looks coolest. Once that's done, you'll try and find ways to work your army in game. Choosing one over the other because of stats is pointless, IMO...and I don't think any army is boring, but that's just my opinion again.

BigJon
02-04-2006, 14:35
I vote Dark Eldar, you have to have guts to run Dark Eldar, I've seen them play in RTT's and they look like a blast to play. Cheap to build as there basic troop type is plastic and with the new Eldar codex on the way they will get a boost.

BigJon

Chimerologist
02-04-2006, 15:24
Don't worry too much about choosing an army 'good for beginners'. There's too much time and money involved in collecting an army to not plan for the long haul.

I've said for a while now that there are basically three things to look at when choosing an army:

1: The background - you've mentioned a little of this already - you don't like the Imperium. If you want a noble, upstanding force, for example, Dark Eldar are probably a bad idea. Craftworld Eldar are probably more suitable.

2: The look of the models - This can be a limited thing, since models are eventually resculpted, and there's always conversion opportunity. If you don't like the look of something, you probably won't enjoy painting it or playing it, and if you're not going to enjoy it, what's the point?

3: Their tabletop performance - Don't focus entirely on stat lines here, but rather general themes and options - If you want to charge across the battlefield and bring the fight to the opponent, and rip him apart in hand-to-hand combat, then Necrons are probably a bad idea. Tyranids or Dark Eldar would be better. Some armies, like Craftword Eldar, are capable of several things.

Only you can choose an army that you'll enjoy. Looking for advice is good, but ultimately, it's your enjoyment of the hobby that matters. Again, there's too much time and money involved to make a choice just because some guy on a message board said they're cool.

Wolf Lord Duregar
02-04-2006, 18:24
The Orks aren´t an option above but I really suggest you have a look at them, they´re a very fun army to play and have loads of units to choose from.
And you can tailor it pretty much to your style, you can make ded ´ard and propa´ assault armies, very shooty ones (yes, really!) or a mixAnd there are lots of conversion opportunities.:)

Getifa Ubazza
02-04-2006, 18:44
i picked dark eldar simply because not many people play them.

tomorrowseer
02-04-2006, 19:28
Thanks everyone for your votes, I went to games workshop taster day today and i think that it will be the tyranids for two reasons.
1. I like the look of their models as they are In my opinion probably the most different
2. I prefer close combat
One question I do have is if anyone know where you can find pictures of the new Tyranid Biovore and Lictor which are in this months White Dwarf