PDA

View Full Version : Finecast?

Worship
23-05-2011, 23:25
Just read about the new finecast models coming this Saturday on the GW website.

I really like the idea. I really hope these new high detail models are going to be available in every army

castellanash
23-05-2011, 23:33
Just out of curiosity, couldn't you have put this in one of the many Finecast threads?

juliusb
23-05-2011, 23:36
I'd reserve your excitement, that GW announcement was a lot of "sales speak".

1. They didn't talk about durability and material specifics. Small resin models break like crazy; these might be different but I doubt it.

2. They didn't mention new sculpts or molds. If they are using modified metal molds the detail will be the same.

3. Wait to see mold lines and warping. Detail is theoretically great with resin but the advantages diminish in the real world. Once you scrape off enormous mold lines and bend the parts into shape, the overall detail can be diminished. Small resin models can get ugly really quick if you get an average cast.

Bookwrak
23-05-2011, 23:50
Just read about the new finecast models coming this Saturday on the GW website.

I really like the idea. I really hope these new high detail models are going to be available in every army
They already are. The same sculpts used for the metal models are being used for the finecast ones.

semper_fi
24-05-2011, 00:02
cant wait to see the mold line on these models, im sticking with metal until proven otherwise

Worship
24-05-2011, 00:53
@castellanash My bad, the threads I read only talked about rumors.

I check the GW website daily and this is the first I've seen it officially announced. I'm stoked!

Droma
24-05-2011, 00:54
Except future releases and even past releases won't be available in metal after a certain point so you may be stuck with finecast whether you like it or not.

jasdc1
24-05-2011, 03:04
Unfortunately, and at a higher cost to boot I'm sure. Better get em now before the end comes. I'll take cheap(er) metal over higher costed resin any day, especially if its the same damn model just redone.

Astraeos
24-05-2011, 08:48
I'm feeling apprehensive at best about finecast. Probably because it's because I've never built a resin model, but hearing stuff from this thread and how resin sticks to superglue instantly without time to adjust the fitting isn't helping.

xxRavenxx
24-05-2011, 08:54
I'm feeling apprehensive at best about finecast. Probably because it's because I've never built a resin model, but hearing stuff from this thread and how resin sticks to superglue instantly without time to adjust the fitting isn't helping.

I would ignore most of the negative things people spout about resin. Its a very popular medium for models.

Check out flames of war, where every single tank model is a resin piece.

unheilig
24-05-2011, 09:04
I would ignore most of the negative things people spout about resin. Its a very popular medium for models.

Check out flames of war, where every single tank model is a resin piece.

As well as Spartan Games.

Its great stuff... I look forward to it. Ive hated tin ever since they switched to it.

This is a very welcome change.

CaptainShrike
24-05-2011, 09:52
I've seen the new article, and done some compare-contrast on GW's site. I don't know whether or not GW use painted resin masters on their site or actual metal versions of the models like you or me, but the Autarch and Emperor's Champion metal-Finecast comparisons told me this:

Despite what I've read elsewhere, there is no detail improvement.

Nope, they're identical. So we've got a cheaper raw material AND a price hike for nothing other than a weight loss. There MAY be better definition in little details (chains, etc), but that's nit-picky stuff. I'll be taking a few models with me to see for myself on the day, namely Commissar Yarrick and (if independent retailers are taking part in the event) Lelith Hesperax (because she's in my local retailer's window), both of which are rumoured/quoted to be among the first Finecast. Maybe I'll take a few others.

I got Korvydae the other day, and know what resin should be like. Being the second and largest thing I've ever bought from forge world, I am surprised by the detail. It is a good material, but despite reducing costs it's seems a little pointless switching to resin if we don't get any more detail and then ramping up the prices - I would have thought GW make enough profit to absorb the increases due to inflation?!

Lord Khabal
24-05-2011, 10:09
As soon as I saw the price increase, I've bought Draigo, Crowe and Coteaz :)

nazrag
24-05-2011, 10:11
Anyone know if the metal versions will still be avaliable?

Matt-allicA
24-05-2011, 10:14
I was wondering how easy resin is to clean off again? Especially with fragile models such as the eldar autarch they have on the website as an example. I think this could also be a way for gw to try and stop sell on of the models if it is difficult to clean, so hits the ebay traders etc and so drive their sales. Just a thought...

-Loki-
24-05-2011, 10:24
3. Wait to see mold lines and warping. Detail is theoretically great with resin but the advantages diminish in the real world. Once you scrape off enormous mold lines and bend the parts into shape, the overall detail can be diminished. Small resin models can get ugly really quick if you get an average cast.

You know when you scrape off mold lines you only have to scrape off the mold lines right? You don't have to scrape off the detail.

I also fail to see how warming the resin to bend it back into shape removed detail.

xxRavenxx
24-05-2011, 10:42
I was wondering how easy resin is to clean off again? Especially with fragile models such as the eldar autarch they have on the website as an example. I think this could also be a way for gw to try and stop sell on of the models if it is difficult to clean, so hits the ebay traders etc and so drive their sales. Just a thought...

The stuff I believe them to be using... very easy.

If its another type of modeling resin, it strips fine with detol/simple green, but dont soak too long or it goes rubbery for weeks.

Grimtuff
24-05-2011, 11:13
The stuff I believe them to be using... very easy.

I've heard rumblings of it being able to "absorb" the paint better, how this will affect stripping remains to be seen.

chromedog
24-05-2011, 12:26
Depends (as always) on the paints you want removed.
If they're painted in enamels, and it is closer to a resin than a plastic, then the harsher solvents will just turn it to gak (brake fluid is marvelous on enamel painted metals and plastics - not so good on resins).

I'll do my own evaluations when I collect my freebie piece of a mate on Friday (I have friends in GW who owe me favours - and they'll have samples available for painting and assembly anyway.)

CaptainShrike
24-05-2011, 14:41
Anyone know if the metal versions will still be avaliable?

As long as they're is stock. What I heard elsewhere was that they're distributing FC in stores, and keeping the metal stock online until that runs out, but I imagine those will all be priced @ FC amount.

bit
24-05-2011, 14:52
from what I have seen most models are just clones of the old but I have seen a few new looking ones like the dark eldar haemonculus (yes had to look up the codex for correct spelling on that ;p)

like the idea of it all being resin hate glueing metal models and the fact that the metal they used chipped very easily but the price hike is just a night mare considering costs of material will be cheaper maybe its to make it look as if the forge world stuff isn't so vastly over priced

all this being said will still like to have a look at them plus I need a hq unit for my dark eldar army the one time I leave buying a hq unit to last and they have none on the shelf's and have to wait till Saturday gits

t-tauri
24-05-2011, 16:03
Thread closed. Already here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298959).