PDA

View Full Version : Raptors (No, not the Chaos ones)

Tom
01-04-2006, 21:12
These I began on a whim.Tired of chapters I'd get halfway through painting models of then realise I didn't actually enjoy painting, I chose a chapter I could manage to get the colouration done up to a decent standard quickly.

That's the excuse I'm making for the drybrushing and slightlythick paintjob in areas. Ahem.

Inspired by ExquisiteEvil, I'm also planning a lot of early armour marks (They are, after all, A Raven Guard successor- Well, in the sources I'm going to accept as Canon. Some say Ultramarines, some say Raven Guard. I say do whatever you want), and some horrificallyancient pieces for some of the models (check out the Tactical Sergeant's Powerfist). The project's also being used so I can learn my sculpting, part of the model-making nonsense I really haven't managed to do well yet.

Three Sergeants and a Captain. All need varying degrees of work (mostly basing), the Tactical one I just realised I didn't trim the helmet's mouldlines before attaching it to the body.

Oh well, I'm a Tabletop Gamer, not a Neo-Classicist (Dammit Jim!)

Tom
01-04-2006, 21:19
This, however, is my Chaplain. Partially a separate project entirely, I DID pull out all the stops here.

I've never been an NMM fan. So I tried it out. Like it now.

Rabid Bunny 666
01-04-2006, 21:21
i like the Chappie, but the green does seem a bit odd on the others, conversions are cool though

Tom
01-04-2006, 22:45
Might be the camera murdering the colour. I'm going for a drab green anyway.

Scorpio
02-04-2006, 00:04
The green makes them look too... Deathguardish(minus the mutations).

-Scorpio

Warboss Garfang
02-04-2006, 00:23
I'm not a big fan of the paint scheme, but that might be because it's not very clean, and there don't seem to be highlights, although I guess that might be the drybrush looking stuff.

Also, you missed a lot of mold lines.

Then again, as you said, you're a tabletop gamer, and if it's not important to you that they're perfect, just playable, then you're in good shape.

You really like powerfists, apparently, one of your sergeants even has two-or are those lightning claws?

Ziljin
02-04-2006, 01:39
the green looks grainy, and some mold lines are apparent.

Hortwerth
02-04-2006, 08:42
Just 3 advice:

1) clear the mould lines, especially on the outer sides of the objects - it's really letting the models down,
2) thin your paints a bit,
3) use some dark brown wash for the shades on the armour - like the shoulder trims, for instance.

Aquilla
02-04-2006, 09:50
Hey its another Raptors Player.
Conversions look nice.
How about using catachan green?

Suicide Messiah
02-04-2006, 10:24
I like the guy with the hammer its a real slick conversion, but get rid of that mold line because it ruins it. Other than that i just second what Hortwerth said.

Rabid Bunny 666
02-04-2006, 12:48
seeing them on my Dads good monitor, they just need mould lines trmmed off, and try a practice marine like that, but with a DA green watered down wash

Evilhomer
02-04-2006, 13:15
Absolutely love the conversions mate, escpecially the hammer wielding guy and the marine with the slashing sword.

Like the others said, trim lines.

Btw, this guy
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7606&d=1143925913

My imagination or is that a RTB-01 power fist (the original beakie marines)?

McMullet
02-04-2006, 15:16
That's pretty good for a quick drybrush; however, I'm not sure that the colour isn't too light to get away with it. Darker colours don't show up the scrappy textures you get from drybrushing nearly as much as lighter ones do.

Good work on the conversions though. :)

Tom
02-04-2006, 18:56
It is an RTB01 fist. I'm agreed with most of the points here, especially about the mould lines. I'd be more carful if it wasn't for the fact that I do more damage scraping them off (details obscured, giant flat spots, stuff like that) than it does keeping them. Might need a better knife or a decent needle file.

Rabid Bunny 666
02-04-2006, 19:09
try an exxacto craft knife, sharp and small

ilikebmxbikes
02-04-2006, 21:02
use catachan green over a black undercoat.

Tom
02-04-2006, 21:41
To both of you:That's pretty much what I use. Thinking of using Ogre Flesh as the spray tone for some things, since it's pretty much in the tonal trange I want and puts two steps into one.

Rabid Bunny 666
03-04-2006, 12:22
Ogre Flesh would be good, i used it on my Deathguard, excellent with a Dark Green ink Wash

Tom
03-04-2006, 19:11
Mmm, someone said about it in another thread that the tone of green was wrong for the spray, like how OF is a very yellowish green and the dark green ink is very blue.