PDA

View Full Version : 2nd ed template sizes?

Excessus
25-05-2011, 13:29
Hello!

Today I'm playing a small 2nd ed game at the local store, but I have lost my old differently sized flamer and blast templates!

Anyone that still have them that could measure them up for me? :D

Much appreciated!!!

Bunnahabhain
25-05-2011, 14:16
1,2 and 3" diameter radius blasts
and IIRC..
Flamer same size as now
Heavy flamer 12" long, ending with 2" circle

will just check the books.... edit: Could have sworn that one of the 2nd ed rule books had a page with the balsts on it, in case you lost them...

doesn't the Necromunda book have them? It uses the same templates etc as 2nd ed...

Bloodknight
25-05-2011, 14:33
1,2 and 3" diameter blasts

Radius, not diameter :). Also an 1.5" radius blast (the current small blast. Used for example for the toxin grenade).
1" radius is mostly for shotguns and the Griffon's melta shell, 2" radius for multimelta, battlecannon, earthshaker, Griffon inferno shell etc, 3" radius for example for a frag grenade from a Griffon.

heavy flamer is more 11.5", but 12" is a good approximation.

edit: there's also a heap of special templates for effects like Foot of Gork, plague grenades and stuff, but you'll usually find those in the respective codex so you can photocopy them.

Excessus
25-05-2011, 15:11
cheers, off to my little game :D

ColShaw
25-05-2011, 15:55
I've still got the old WD insert Immolator dual Heavy Flamer template... that thing is HUGE! It's the size of a large Chicago-style slice of pizza. Promethium-flavored pizza. Mmmm...

Excessus
25-05-2011, 20:59
My Chaos warband won a convincing victory! :D

I like my 2nd ed khorne termie lord with praise!!!

wilsongrahams
25-05-2011, 21:17
If you can scale these yourselves, you can measure them pretty accurately.

The white markers are heavy flamer, flamer and hand flamer templates - I made replacements out of plasticard at the exact sizes due to the use they got.

The current 40k (these are the fantasy ones actually) sized templates are the semi-transparent plastic ones. You can see that the flamer varies slightly though is the same length. The Destructor and Stream of Corruption template is similar to the heavy flamer one but narrower. The Death Wave template is just half a 2" template.

The hand flamer one is 4" long and 2" wide should anyone want to measure it. As stated the flamer one is 9" and the heavy flamer 11.5".

Force Dome is a 3" radius template, as is the larger blast one, Smite, Hellfire etc use a 2" rad template, and vortex grenades used a 1.5" rad template. The smallest is 1" rad and the thudd gun template also has four of these.

Hope this helps. Any further questions, pm me, I have everything from 2nd edition except Sisters of Battle codex.

Excessus
25-05-2011, 21:20
awesome, brilliant! thanx a lot!!!

...so sad that I lost mine... :(

Bloodknight
25-05-2011, 22:15
thudd gun template also has four of these

Were there even actual thudd guns? I only remember Nids using that with one of the big guns whose english name just eludes me.

AndrewGPaul
25-05-2011, 22:32
Yes, Thudd Guns were in the Wargear book. As far as army list entries go, they were available in the Genestealer Cult army list, and I think they were also in the various Space Marine lists and possibly also the Imperial Agents list.

LonelyPath
25-05-2011, 22:53
The smallest is 1" rad and the thudd gun template also has four of these.

I think the venom cannon used the same linked template as the thudd gun also. Those things were vicious against infantry back then.

Bloodknight
25-05-2011, 22:55
Venom cannon! That was what I was looking for.

Wrath
26-05-2011, 00:57
Oh god plz stop, this is making me want to get a 2nd ed game going!!!

Excessus
26-05-2011, 05:10
Oh god plz stop, this is making me want to get a 2nd ed game going!!!
DO IT! :D

It was really fun and nostalgic, hehe...

Abaraxas
26-05-2011, 06:17
Yes, Thudd Guns were in the Wargear book. As far as army list entries go, they were available in the Genestealer Cult army list, and I think they were also in the various Space Marine lists and possibly also the Imperial Agents list.

Thudd guns arent in the Genestealer list, but is available for Squats (who made it) Marines, Guard and Imperial Agents.

Excessus
26-05-2011, 06:33
I got the 2nd ed tyranid codex infront of me and there is indeed a thudd gun entry in there...

Bloodknight
26-05-2011, 06:35
I guess I never noticed because when I started playing the game in 1997 you just couldn't get them anywhere. I found a Rapier MKII once, but that's it. Newly painted in my plog, btw ;).

AndrewGPaul
26-05-2011, 11:14
Thudd guns arent in the Genestealer list, but is available for Squats (who made it) Marines, Guard and Imperial Agents.

Sounds like you're looking the the little black army list book, not the Codex books. The 'stealer cult list in 2nd edition Codex Tyranids could field Thudd Guns, Mole Mortars and Tarantulas, as well as all the other stuff the Imperial Guard couldn't use - heavy plasma guns, multi-meltas, Rhinos and Land Speeders.

Excessus
26-05-2011, 20:15
...and it was really fun to play! :D

LonelyPath
26-05-2011, 22:52
Venom cannon! That was what I was looking for.

Glad to be of assistance :)

I miss my Brood Brothers having Tarantulas, Thudd Guns and so on.

Abaraxas
27-05-2011, 05:53
I got the 2nd ed tyranid codex infront of me and there is indeed a thudd gun entry in there...

Whoops sorry guys youre right, my bad :angel:

Excessus
27-05-2011, 07:28
no worries, time does strange things to the memory... :)

I couldn't remember a lot of the rules when I played earlier this week...

Abaraxas
27-05-2011, 09:05
:D

Anybody ever actually own a thudd gun?

I always wanted one, and tarantulas too...

AndrewGPaul
27-05-2011, 10:46
I've got one. As well as a Mole Mortar, two Tarantulas and two Rapiers. The Thudd Gun and one Tarantula joined my Space Wolf army in 2nd edition days, the others are more recent acquisitions.

Cleutin
27-05-2011, 10:53
Funny story: I bought my first Tarantula a few weeks before 3rd Edition launched and axed it from every codex :cries:

Abaraxas
27-05-2011, 12:05
Ha, coolness.

Ive never seen one besides the blood angels one in the wargear book or a catalogue (thudd) but the entries for the weapons mentioned in support always had me dreaming of getting them.

ColShaw
27-05-2011, 13:15
:D

Anybody ever actually own a thudd gun?

I always wanted one, and tarantulas too...

I had one... I chopped it up and made it into a Thunderfire Cannon.

wilsongrahams
27-05-2011, 18:48
Don't forgeworld make the tarantulas however? Also the Thunderfire cannon basically IS a thudd gun, they just removed the squat part to make it unique. I suppose it's like how Bolters became Shootas and Boltguns etc, and in 6th ed, we'll have Wolf Bolters, Blood Bolters and Nemesis Bolters. Wargear is now unique to each army book rather than the majority being available to all races. It's a shame because I loved the Wargear book and having the decent descriptions for every weapon. You're lucky to get a paragraph now.

I suppose it is nice that a lot of old 2nd ed gear is appearing in the latest codex books again such as digital lasers and most of the grey knights gear!

AndrewGPaul
27-05-2011, 19:01
Nah, the Thunderfire cannon is slightly different to the Thudd Gun (although it does fulfil the same role in a Marine army). The Thudd Gun, or Quad Launcher, is made by Forge World. The Siege army list in one of the Siege of Vraks books includes it.

Hedgehobbit
28-05-2011, 03:53
The thunderfire cannon seems to combine the thud gun and mole mortar. The original thunderfire cannon was a huge epic squat artillery piece.

wilsongrahams
28-05-2011, 18:19
Ah thank you. Kinda ironic to drop the squat-made Thudd gun to have a Squat-named artillery gun instead. :-)

hobbic_c
02-12-2012, 23:49
If you can scale these yourselves, you can measure them pretty accurately.

The white markers are heavy flamer, flamer and hand flamer templates - I made replacements out of plasticard at the exact sizes due to the use they got.

The current 40k (these are the fantasy ones actually) sized templates are the semi-transparent plastic ones. You can see that the flamer varies slightly though is the same length. The Destructor and Stream of Corruption template is similar to the heavy flamer one but narrower. The Death Wave template is just half a 2" template.

The hand flamer one is 4" long and 2" wide should anyone want to measure it. As stated the flamer one is 9" and the heavy flamer 11.5".

Force Dome is a 3" radius template, as is the larger blast one, Smite, Hellfire etc use a 2" rad template, and vortex grenades used a 1.5" rad template. The smallest is 1" rad and the thudd gun template also has four of these.

Hope this helps. Any further questions, pm me, I have everything from 2nd edition except Sisters of Battle codex.

Thanks for this! but what's the width of the heavy flamer template at it's end?