PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 2k & 2.5k WoC List

DaJackel
26-05-2011, 02:40
Never played Chaos before and have this lot come my way, could really use some help making up a 2,000pt and a 2,500pt list.

If this lot wouldn't make viable lists please let me know too! Thanks :)

This is what I have available:
1 x Archaon,Lord of the End Times
1 x Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount
1 x Khorne chaos Lord on Juggernaut
1 x Tzeentch chaos Lord
1 x Nurgle chaos Lord
1 x Chaos Sorcorer
2 x 15 Warrior of Chaos Regiment (FC)
10 x Chaos Warhounds
5 x chaos Marauder Horsemen
5 x Chaos Knights
1 x chaos Warrior Chariot
3 x Chaos Ogre
10 x Chaos Warrior Chosen Regiment
3 x Chaos Troll
1 x Chaos Hellannon
1 x Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

thesheriff
26-05-2011, 08:36
Yeah, 'Help' does not mean 'do in for me' mate!

it can make a good list, so write one yourself, and then will tell you what to put in it.

(Hint; Hellcannons, Warriors and warhounds should go in!)

thesheriff

Tedurur
26-05-2011, 08:53

it can make a good list, so write one yourself, and then will tell you what to put in it.

thesheriff

Im curious, is there some actual forum rule that says one cant ask for help building a whole list form scratch or is it just you pretending to be a mod?

OnT
You seem to be a little light on infantry. I would consider getting some more 12or so Warriors (or simply use the chosen as normal Warriors) or 40-50 Marauders. Other than that you seem to have what would make a good/decent list. The chariot could rather easily be converted into a much better warshrine.

thesheriff
26-05-2011, 10:15
Im curious, is there some actual forum rule that says one cant ask for help building a whole list form scratch or is it just you pretending to be a mod?

No. But I like to think that people who want help with there list would take the time to write there own list as a basis. If not to make it easier for us, but to give us an indication of what kind of playstyle he has. If he wants a list with lots of cavalry, then writing a list full of knights and dragon ogres would give us an indication to tweak wargear or suggest combinations for him to try. He has not given us any indication, if not a generic list. Which is fine. And that is why I suggested the hellcannon, tzeentch warriors and warhounds being a good basis for the list to start off with.

I'm trying to be as helpful as I can, and if he writes a list, and we tell him where he has gone "wrong", he will understand his list better as a result. As opposed to we just write him a list, and he doesn't really know how to utilize it to it's full potential.

I know we don't control the way people chose to take part in the hobby. But I'm just trying to help him in the most constructive way possible.

There's a difference between constructive criticism, and dictating what he should do. And I know which one people learn from better.

IMO, that is :D

Eta
26-05-2011, 10:57
Here is a more or less "standard" 2000 point internet list that is not too harsh but still competitive (with the models you have available):

Sorcerer Lord
Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Infernal Puppet, Enchanted Shield

Exalted Hero
Battle Standard Bearer, shield, Mark of Tzeentch, Biting Blade, Bronze Armour of Zhrakk, Talisman of Endurance

20 Chaos Warriors
shields, full command (with Blasted Standard), Mark of Tzeentch

19 Chaos Warriors
halberds, shields, full command (Banner of Eternal Flame), Mark of Khorne

2x5 Chaos Hounds

5 Marauder Horsemen
flails, throwing spears, musician, Mark of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights
musician, standard bearer (Banner of Swiftness)

1 Hellcannon

You can use the Chosen to fill up the warrior units and take the Chosen standard bearer as your BSB. The list is 1974 points, the leftover points can be used to either mark your sorcerer lord or to purchase a Gift of Chaos for one of your characters (e.g. Third Eye of Tzeentch for the sorcerer or Stream of Corruption for the BSB).

Concerning the list - you have a very solid infantry core that can hold the centre of the battlefield and four fast units as flank harassers, warmachine hunters or redirectors (Chaos Hounds, Marauder Horsemen) or support chargers (Marauder Horsemen, Chaos Knights). The sorcerer lord will provide a good magic phase and is hard to kill in melee and protected against the worst miscast results. The BSB is well protected, too, being immune to poison and killing blow on top of his good armour and ward save will help him to survive most challenges. Finally, the Hellcannon can anchor one flank, provide fire support for your advancing troops and is formidable in combat as well.

DaJackel
26-05-2011, 14:40
thesheriff

Thanks for this, you've been great help...

I'm looking into buying a second painted army just so my friends who do not have an army can play with me. Therefore, I have never played Chaos before, I don't even have the Codex yet. This is why I am here, to see if this lot would make a viable list or not. If it does, I'll buy it - if it cannot I'll pass.

DaJackel
26-05-2011, 14:48
Snip

Thank you so much, even more than I was looking for.

Do you think a 2,500pt list would be possible or are there not enough core infantry models?

Eta
26-05-2011, 15:55
Thank you so much, even more than I was looking for.

Do you think a 2,500pt list would be possible or are there not enough core infantry models?

No, you have enough core. The army list I provided has 900 points in core units, you could even play 3,000 point battles with these units as core. For a quick extension to 2,500 points simply add the Ogres (Mark of Nurgle or Khorne, Chaos Armour, Greatweapons, musician, standard bearer), the Chaos Trolls (keep them near the general and BSB as support for the warrior units) and the Chariot (Mark of Khorne). That'll give you three more fast hard hitters to support your infantry and is 495 points alltogether.