PDA

View Full Version : Fluffy Eldar

Lowmans
26-05-2011, 07:52
Does anyone have any tips on building a fluffy list based around Maugan-Ra during the Eye of Terror campaign?

I'm currently thinking:
Maugan-Ra
2 squads of Rangers
2 squads of Reapers
WraithLord (Representing an entombed Reaper exarch)

Obviously this is just a starter but I'm thinking maybe a couple of Vypers to round out and a bike squad? Harlequins, maybe?

This gives a Reaper core with a scout element to help them find the enemy, something I guess they'd be poor at.

I'm aware the list is not very competitive and wouldn't take it tournamenting but it'd be a fun one to paint and convert and good for narrative campaigns.
Anybody got any thoughts?

TheLaughingGod
26-05-2011, 08:04
Well, why not run an Ulthwe list? During the Eye of Terror campaign, Maugan-Ra and a large number of Reaper Disciples fought along side the Black Guardians of Ulthwe and Eldrad Ulthran himself. You could have a Farseer with Doom, Maugan-Ra, 2 Squads of Reapers, 2 Squads of Rangers 2+ squads of Guardians, your Wraithlord (armed with Shuriken Cannon and Missile Launcher, to be fluffy)
Vypers would be good, you'll need anti Tank. So maybe 2 squadrons of 2 Vypers each with Missile Launchers (cheaper than bright lances and you can get that side armor shot)

2-3 squads of guardian defenders with scatterlasers or shuriken cannon mounted in Wave Serpents with TL brightlance and shuriken cannon. Possibly replace one of those squads with a Storm Guardian squad with fusion guns and a Warlock.

Also, if you have the points, Warlock bodyguard for your Farseer is fluffy and put Warlocks in all the Guardian units you can. (arm with singing spears for close range anti armor)

BigBarryJazz
26-05-2011, 10:43
How does an exarch's soul get placed in a wraithlord? I thought their souls are tied to their armour after death.

Anyway, TheLaughingGod's post pretty much nails it, although you could also add any guardian piloted vehicles. Harlequins would also make sense since they were facing Chaos and they could also have guided them through parts of the webway.

cynic
26-05-2011, 14:19
How does an exarch's soul get placed in a wraithlord? I thought their souls are tied to their armour after death.

The spirit is captured in the spirit stone mounted on the armour. Once inside, the spirit stone can be put anywhere they want (left in the armour, released into the infinity circuit, or placed in a wraith construct).

TheLaughingGod
26-05-2011, 14:45
The spirit is captured in the spirit stone mounted on the armour. Once inside, the spirit stone can be put anywhere they want (left in the armour, released into the infinity circuit, or placed in a wraith construct).

Strictly speaking, that's not true. The spirit of an Exarch (spirits, really) are too violent too be allowed into the infinity circuit, which is why they remain in the armor where it is safe for them to mingle with each other. The spirit grafting process that removes a soul from the Infinity circuit and places it in a wraithshell is described as just that, coming from the infinity circuit, guided by a Spirit Seer. It's possible that you could graft from an Exarch suit, but it may have great risks.

Sildani
26-05-2011, 17:23
In the third edition Eldar Codex, Iyanna Arienal takes a Fire Dragon Exarch's soul out of the Infinity Circuit and puts it into a vacant waystone for installation into a Wraithguard shell. That was written by Gav Thorpe, who wrote Path of the Warrior.

Just to say, no matter how you may think it works, there's probably something in the background or Black Library that can back up your views.

TheLaughingGod
26-05-2011, 18:04
In the third edition Eldar Codex, Iyanna Arienal takes a Fire Dragon Exarch's soul out of the Infinity Circuit and puts it into a vacant waystone for installation into a Wraithguard shell. That was written by Gav Thorpe, who wrote Path of the Warrior.

Just to say, no matter how you may think it works, there's probably something in the background or Black Library that can back up your views.

Welll, there's basically two variants on Eldar fluff. Phil Kelly/Jes Goodwin's version (which is the original and most consistent) and then Gav Thorpe's version, which is pretty close, but he takes a lot of liberties with the depiction of the Exarchs. It's almost like he's trying to get on over on Kelly! Though, I'm pretty sure that Path of the Warrior also states that Exarchs cannot be placed in the Infinity Matrix (fun fact, the Infinity Circuits are all linked extradimensionally and form the Infinity Matrix which is where Ynnead is rumored to be growing)

I'd still take Gav's interpretation as a bit lesser than the original writer (Kelly)