PDA

View Full Version : rear charge defence?

drear
27-05-2011, 00:29
today i was playing deamons, and somthing i hadnt experianced before happened.

i had a unit of 20 saurus warriors run 6 wide, leaving 2 at the back rank. i lost 1 to shooting , and then the unit got rear charged.

now his unit could make contact with 1 model, as that formed the back rank, so i reduced the attacks against me.
now usually its a bad thing to receive a rear charge right?

well in this instance he caused a number of wounds which meant the one model in contact died..then i the rear rank 'steps up' .

so my opponent gets to make 2-3 attacks to me, then i get to make 6 attacks back as he kills that model and the ranks move back to meet his unit.

is this right?

if it is, why arnt more people using a formation that allows 1 model to be at the back rank , so reducing attacks against you initially but getting a good amount of attacks back?

Bitten Black Sheep
27-05-2011, 00:46
The formation is not used because it does not give you and advantage as you described.

Page 49 in the rulebook "Incomplete Ranks"
The models fight across the gap even if not in physical base to base contact.

AMWOOD co
27-05-2011, 04:32
The formation is not used because it does not give you and advantage as you described.

Page 49 in the rulebook "Incomplete Ranks"
The models fight across the gap even if not in physical base to base contact.

This has been true at least since 6th edition (p264 in Appendix Six, what would now be an in book FAQ). I'm sure there was more than one person who abused this before then (myself likely included) and so the game authors decided it needed to change.

drear
27-05-2011, 13:10
ah thanks ^^
id never had it happen before so i asked the manager D: