Musician
Banner of Rage
-- Chaos Lord goes here.

x5 Warhounds - 45
Poison Attacks

Warshrine - 160
MoN

Total - 2249

I really wanted a Nurgle themed fantasy army and this is what I came up with. I have a 2,500 & 3k list based off this one, but I wanna see how this one stands up to criticism before I branch into those ones! Any advice or C&C is welcome and encouraged!

Thanks,
Raven

Eta
31-05-2011, 00:42
Where are your musicians? They make your units so much more manoeuvrable that they are a must in every unit that can get one.

Your Chaos Lord is illegal, he has 110 points of magic items. You have to use the cost that is listed in your armybook for magic items, not the ones in the rulebook.

I guess your list is for friendly games only, otherwise you really need a BSB. Rerolling every Ld test for most of your army when deployed accordingly is too good to simply pass. Failing that Ld8 / Ld9 Fear test can turn a certain win in a lost fight.

Ravenfeld
31-05-2011, 02:06
Yeah your probably right, I use O&G as my main fantasy force and I don't use Musicians with them, so old habits I suppose. That can be remedied.

As for the illegal lord, well silly me! I am not used to using older books with the new rules, only got into 8th recently, been on a 40k binge you see. Will have to remedy that. What do you think I should do about it? Drop the phylactery and get the shield or lose the shield?

The 2500+ list has a BSB in it actually, just couldnt make it work for the 2250 list.. unless I should lose a sorc for it?

Ravenfeld
31-05-2011, 07:11
2500 List: (Updated)
Chaos Lord - 420
MoN
Armor of Damnation
Father of Blades
Necrotic Phylactery
Charmed Shield
Distendable Maw
Daemonic Mount

Chaos Sorcerer - 200
Level 2
MoN
Infernal Puppet
Third Eye

Festus - 185

Exalted Hero - 155
BSB
MoN

----

x21 Chaos Warriors - 336
MoN
Shields
Standard Bearer
Musician
-- Festus goes here.

x14 Chaos Warriors - 286
MoN
Shields
Halberds
Standard Bearer
Musician
-- Sorcerer goes here.

x40 Marauders - 242
MoN
Great Weapons
Standard Bearer
Musician

---

x7 Knights - 375
MoN
Standard Bearer
Musician
Banner of Rage
-- Chaos Lord goes here.

x10 Warhounds - 90
Poison Attacks

Warshrine - 160
MoN

Total - 2497

-----------
3000 List: (Updated)
Chaos Lord - 420
MoN
Armor of Damnation
Father of Blades
Necrotic Phylactery
Charmed Shield
Distendable Maw
Daemonic Mount

Chaos Sorcerer - 200
Level 2
MoN
Infernal Puppet
Third Eye

Festus - 185

Exalted Hero - 160
BSB
MoN
Ironcurse Icon
--------------

x18 Chaos Warriors - 336
MoN
Shields
Standard Bearer
Musician
-- Festus goes here.

x14 Chaos Warriors - 286
MoN
Shields
Halberds
Standard Bearer
Musician
-- Sorcerer goes here.

x40 Marauders - 242
MoN
Great Weapons
Standard Bearer
Musician

----------------

x7 Knights - 375
MoN
Standard Bearer
Musician
Banner of Rage
-- Chaos Lord goes here.

x8 Chaos Ogres - 480
MoN
Standard Bearer
Great Weapons
Chaos Armor
Standard Bearer
Ogre Champion
Musician

x2 Warshrine - 320
MoN

Total - 3000

There is all three lists. To be honest I started with the 3000 and worked my way down, you might be able to tell! Haha, C&C welcome!

Eta
31-05-2011, 12:39
The BSB needs some gear, a shield at the very least. A nice and sturdy BSB build is Talisman of Preservation, Biting Blade and shield.

Nickthebear
31-05-2011, 12:53
Have to agree with the musicians, they do so much with the rules this time round. for th epoints cost they are quiet valuble really. oh and loving the nurgle theme btw, im a nurgle fan too. and yeah even though ld 8 on average for the army could be worse it aint great so those re rolls will come in handy.
and have you ever thought banner of rage on the warriors. especially with festus in the unit they get a shed load of attacks as well as poison. My main unit is around 20 stron warriors with festus in with add weapons and shields and banner of rage. they are great at holding building with their regen and the fact you get ten on ten in a building and considering chaos warriors with add weapons and frenzy mean they will have 40 poisoned attacks at strength four...good luck kicking them out of a building lol

Ravenfeld
31-05-2011, 19:19
Well in the 2500 list I can drop 5 Warhounds and get the Talisman of Preservation on the BSB. I don't know where to get another 10 points from for the shield and sword though. That is excluding my 3000 list entirely, I don't know where I could finagle the points from there, hehe! Any ideas?

As far as putting the banner of rage onto a warriors unit, I could do it for sure but I wanted to give the knights some added ooomph. Then again, realizing my Lord is on a Daemonic mount and so won't be hidden in the knight units makes me think that I might pass on the knights and fill out my warriors a little more, not sure though. That also raises the question of whether I should have my Lord on a Daemonic mount, I wanted to use: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/WARHAMMER_CHAOS/KAZYK-THE-BEFOULED-ON-ROT-BEAST.html to represent him, which was my primary motivation. So is it worth it?

Quinn
31-05-2011, 21:35
One other thing to think about. Is your BSB with Festus? If not, given the fact you have no Champions in your unit and will have to challenge with Festus, he's going to be dead first round in all probability. He's very squishy and only a noob won't accept or issue a challenge against him. If he's only in the unit to give them regen against ranged/magic attacks then he's probably a waste of points.

You'd be better off giving the warriors the Blasted Standard and bumping up your Lvl 2 to a Lvl 4. Drop the Daemonic Steed (on your Lord) for A Chaos Steed and it should all fit at 3000 pts legally and be a lot more competitive.

Ravenfeld
31-05-2011, 22:08
One other thing to think about. Is your BSB with Festus? If not, given the fact you have no Champions in your unit and will have to challenge with Festus, he's going to be dead first round in all probability. He's very squishy and only a noob won't accept or issue a challenge against him. If he's only in the unit to give them regen against ranged/magic attacks then he's probably a waste of points.

You'd be better off giving the warriors the Blasted Standard and bumping up your Lvl 2 to a Lvl 4. Drop the Daemonic Steed (on your Lord) for A Chaos Steed and it should all fit at 3000 pts legally and be a lot more competitive.

The BSB would in fact be with Festus, that was the intent! I don't know if I would have the Lord point allotment to make the level 4 and still be legal, and as I said I wanted to use the FW model to represent my lord, and it would be hard to justify his mount as just a Chaos Steed, haha!

I will mess around with it and see what I can do, I am leaning towards losing the knights for something else entirely. Maybe chosen? Dunno.

Jack of Blades
31-05-2011, 22:49
I really, really, really don't see why you'd want to use distendable maw on a Chaos lord. Save yourself the points and use them somewhere else, if it was a sorcerer lord then it would be a decent investment but this... get rid of it :D

Ravenfeld
31-05-2011, 23:07
I really, really, really don't see why you'd want to use distendable maw on a Chaos lord. Save yourself the points and use them somewhere else, if it was a sorcerer lord then it would be a decent investment but this... get rid of it :D

I dunno, just liked the idea of challenging an enemy hero and eating them whole, no saves allowed. Make me smile thinking about it. Can you imagine your tooled up lord getting swallowed? I mean it wouldn't work so well against Elves or other high Initiative lords, but against Orcs it would be hilarious!

Regardless, I think I'll take your advice, what powers would you suggest I take instead?

Jack of Blades
01-06-2011, 00:13
Oh it gets me smiling a bit too. But when you announce that your sorcerer is going to eat his lord whole... hehehe...

Honestly, none. A Chaos lord won't be needing or making much use at all of any of them. But if you must pick one then pick either stream of corruption or word of agony, depending on whether you want to kill squishy expensive units or squishy expensive characters. In both cases it will only be useful if you couldn't have done it anyway and if your unit of 7 Chaos knights + Chaos lord can't do it anyway..... yeah, you get my drift.

Ravenfeld
01-06-2011, 00:18
Oh it gets me smiling a bit too. But when you announce that your sorcerer is going to eat his lord whole... hehehe...

Honestly, none. A Chaos lord won't be needing or making much use at all of any of them. But if you must pick one then pick either stream of corruption or word of agony, depending on whether you want to kill squishy expensive units or squishy expensive characters. In both cases it will only be useful if you couldn't have done it anyway and if your unit of 7 Chaos knights + Chaos lord can't do it anyway..... yeah, you get my drift.

The main issue I am having with my Lord + the Knights is that the Daemonic Mount is a monstrous mount, and thus the Knights offer little bonus protection to the Lord. I wanted to use the Kazyk FW model for him though, so I kinda wanna keep him on the Daemonic mount. At this point I am considering dropping the knights entirely for something else, unless you think I should still stuff him with the knights and hope to get stuck in quickly to avoid getting shot to death with artillery?

I do like the idea of having an extra handful of points to play with though! So I think i'll drop the Maw, might take one of the other two based on circumstance unless I can find a better way to allot the points!

Thanks Jack!
Raven

Jack of Blades
01-06-2011, 00:28
I don't remember the rules atm but can't you keep him on a daemonic mount, replace the knights with 5 trolls and stuff him in there? or will there be a troll who doesn't get to make supporting attacks in that case? if so send him in with either 4 trolls if you wanna spend the points elsewhere or 5 so you can absorb a casualty. They will go pretty well with your Nurgle theme too I assume.

Honestly there's little that knights can do which warriors can't. They have a mount and they get the charge, so what? for every knight you'll have 2 warriors and a marauder. If you like them then of course take them but yeah, you're considering replacing them, don't hesitate if that's what you wanna do :)

Ravenfeld
01-06-2011, 00:34
I don't remember the rules atm but can't you keep him on a daemonic mount, replace the knights with 5 trolls and stuff him in there? or will there be a troll who doesn't get to make supporting attacks in that case? if so send him in with either 4 trolls if you wanna spend the points elsewhere or 5 so you can absorb a casualty. They will go pretty well with your Nurgle theme too I assume.

Honestly there's little that knights can do which warriors can't. They have a mount and they get the charge, so what? for every knight you'll have 2 warriors and a marauder. If you like them then of course take them but yeah, you're considering replacing them, don't hesitate if that's what you wanna do :)

I do like the idea of using Trolls actually, and I would be more than fine with that to be honest. I always saw Nurgle as more of a slow but steady kind of fighter so Knights don't mesh that well, I might drop the knights for trolls regardless, especially with FW's Blight Troll models! And if I can stuff the Lord in with him (I also don't have the rules infront of me as I am at work) they can use his leadership against stupidity, which is fantastic in its own right. Of course Trolls only move 6, so I would lose those 2 points of movement.

More Warriors also sounds nice! I play O&G usually so this list seems to be very very small comparatively! I have about 250 models in my O&G list and barely 120 in these, haha.

Jack of Blades
01-06-2011, 00:45
Good ;) if you drop distendable maw and replace the knights with 5 trolls you'll have 190 points to play around with. That's an extra warshrine + couple of warriors/more warriors/4 more trolls if you want more of them/15 points short of a hellcannon (just imagine it flinging Father Nurgle's blessings at the enemy and model it likewise)/a chariot + stuff... see, I can't even stop myself - the options are yours for the taking.

Happy gaming.

Ravenfeld
01-06-2011, 00:52
Good ;) if you drop distendable maw and replace the knights with 5 trolls you'll have 190 points to play around with. That's an extra warshrine + couple of warriors/more warriors/4 more trolls if you want more of them/15 points short of a hellcannon (just imagine it flinging Father Nurgle's blessings at the enemy and model it likewise)/a chariot + stuff... see, I can't even stop myself - the options are yours for the taking.

Happy gaming.

I hear Hellcannons are the things to have if you want a semi-competitive list. And while I realize my Nurgle list is a far cry from a Tzeentchian Ward Army or a Khornate Butcher's Force I would still like it to have a fair chance at beating peoples teeth in! Options are definitely good though! Hehe!

Thanks again,
Raven