PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your GW miniatures

GreenSpeed
30-05-2011, 21:35
Hey guys would like to get a better idea of where people buy their GW minis. If you buy from multiple places pick whichever applies more. If you already voted in the Warhammer General discussion poll feel free to vote again.

AFnord
30-05-2011, 21:39
Ebay
Second hand shopping at conventions
Online stores from the UK

I'm not paying the prices they ask for the models over here, not when I can get the models for so much less.

Malice&Mizery
30-05-2011, 21:40
An independant retailer in town sells at 10% discount. :)

Malorian
30-05-2011, 21:42
Still no option to pick multiple options.

Aeron
30-05-2011, 21:44
I second.

Ebay
Second hand shopping etc.
Online stores from the UK

I havn't been in the hobby long - I'm going to start buying character models etc from the shop - it's only a 1 or so more and it supports people but when I can buy Warhammer infantry and save 5 or save 10 for elite infantry per box....

....I'm not paying the prices they ask for the models over here, not when I can get the models for so much less.

Nate.

Emperors Teeth
30-05-2011, 21:56
I won't vote as it vary greatly. Get multiple choices in there!

I sometimes buy from the local GW. Paints, and a few blisters. Large boxes and bulk buys are from ebay or independant websites.

swifty2
30-05-2011, 22:46
My local Games Workshop, yes you can say it's expensive but without them I wouldn't have a hobby, I do most of my painting there, I do all of my gaming there and it's somewhere I can see my friends while I indulge in my hobby.

Project2501
30-05-2011, 22:47
E-bay.

My LGS doesn't have the selection of bitz to support my addiction, and I'm not the type of person to buy whole squads of something when all I want is 2-3 bitz. Nothing against my LGS of course.

Raikoh
30-05-2011, 22:59
My local Games Workshop, yes you can say it's expensive but without them I wouldn't have a hobby, I do most of my painting there, I do all of my gaming there and it's somewhere I can see my friends while I indulge in my hobby.

Wow, you must be loaded (money-wise).

The way I get my models:
Through forums like Warseer. The trading section.
Ebay

It kind of sucks when trying to get Independent characters. Sometimes E-Bay doesn't have much. I simply refuse to buy anything directly from GW. They are being a bunch of ass-hats right now.

Dangersaurus
31-05-2011, 00:04
My bits box or scratchbuild first, eBay second, LGS with a discount third.

Achaylus72
31-05-2011, 00:40
EBay, purely my EBay supplier in the USA sells me stuff up 60% cheaper than GW Australia shelf prices depending on multiple postage.

Like take this as an example.

GW Australia shelf price 1 x box of Chaos Space Marine Tactical Squad 10 man box set sells for $62.00au.

While my supplier can sell me the same thing for $29.80US and $9.99 postage, but each additional item is $3.00US.

I recently bought 5 boxes of said Chaos and it came to $129.65Australian, the same amount would have set me back $310.00Au if i had bought in a GW store so i save $180.35Au or $193.32US which is just under 60%.

Torpedo Vegas
31-05-2011, 00:42
The Warstore of my FLGS, sometimes I'll order a thing or two from GW's site.

Raibaru
31-05-2011, 00:46
If I'm buying just one model I'll tend to pick it up at a GW. If I need to buy more than one though, I'll use an online retailer that offers 20%+ off. I honestly don't know where I'd find them cheaper at an indie store even though I live in Maryland and there are probably tons.

No idea where to look since most malls around here no longer have shops for these things.

Mannimarco
31-05-2011, 00:48
Ebay
Forgeworld
Wayland Games
Maelstrom
GW if Im going in there for a game I like to buy something to pad out their sales. Sort of a "thanks for letting me play on your tables, heres a sale to help with the targets"

Bergen Beerbelly
31-05-2011, 00:52
I get mine from a local retailer because I like to play there and I want the store to remain open. The only way to do that is to support them with sales.

LonelyPath
31-05-2011, 00:54
For me it's:

Ebay
2nd hand
Dark Sphere
Maelstrom
Wayland (Ebay store)
LGS
etc.

soul destroyer
31-05-2011, 01:26
Local GW store for paints and the odd new release
online stores for bigger stuff like battle forces
ebay for impulse buys when drunk

Shiodome
31-05-2011, 01:36
what discount will you give me on your upcoming venture if i fill out your market research questionaire?

djinn24
31-05-2011, 03:42
Ebay or an online vendor, but I am about to open my own shop so I hope to pick things up even cheaper soon heh.

Friedrich von Offenbach
31-05-2011, 04:21
They are being a bunch of ass-hats right now.

you can say that again!

Abaraxas
31-05-2011, 06:21
Ebay.

Only shop at GW when I need paints, or the occasional bitz.

Simo429
31-05-2011, 06:45
Try and get it all from Maelstrom on tournament days when you get the extra discount.

Deceit
31-05-2011, 07:21
Before today: Maelstrom games

After today: ?... probably very small purchases from a GW store if I need something desperate to add to my army.

sgtspiff
31-05-2011, 07:23
I walk down to my local model store. They don't have that much GW at all (read about 20 blisters and 10 larger packs) but I've been going there for since I was 9 (20 years now).

No discount, strange guy, really small but I will never change.

Elenneth89
31-05-2011, 07:26
waylandgames has 150 signed as elenneth

Commandojimbob
31-05-2011, 07:32
For me its Independant retailers who offer a discount for all plastic kits. With Direct only models you have 2 choices - 1/. GW or 2/. Ebay !

Depending on how quickly I want a direct only model, will determine my choice but I am building an Inquisition army at the moment, so I can plan ahead - like winning an Inquisitor with Plasma pistol and power weapon off Ebay for 5.70 (all in) :)

Buying plastic kits from GW at full price makes no sense in the world of the internet.

cynic
31-05-2011, 09:31
The vast majority of my stuff was bought on ebay, then online independents. I dont think i've bought any models from GW stores since the 1990's, although i do pop in there to get paints.

dblaz3r
31-05-2011, 10:46
I buy solely from online distributors because I'm in NZ and refuse to pay the rediculous prices they want. Just did my final order for awhile yesterday, finally the kick in the butt to get through my boxes of unbuilt models in my closet. Thankyou GW :)

Shamutanti
31-05-2011, 12:09
"Franchise Stores"

You know the stores aren't run as part of a franchise, yeah?

I've bought all 12-13 of my 3000point+ armies from GW stores.

mrtn
31-05-2011, 13:26
Most is from Tradera (Swedish branch of eBay). Some from Maelstrom. The occasional GW direct model (at least when they used to have free postage). Some paints, glues and brushes locally.

Finnigan2004
31-05-2011, 13:31
Before today from Maelstrom. After today from Privateer Press. Oh, only Games Workshop models... In that case, probably my spending is curtailed for a while because they're doing everything that they can to rip off people outside of the U.K..

Yautja
31-05-2011, 13:39
I get the majority of my things from online distributers like Dicebucket. I buy hobby supplies from the local game stores. The only time I buy things from a local game store is when I have a gift certificate to knock the price down.

comradeda
31-05-2011, 14:08
I occasionally buy from GW store fronts, but only as an impulse. Planned purchases are always online.

Cheeslord
31-05-2011, 14:13
I usually use Wargames Workshop - the only game store where I have got next day delivery (without asking for it and only selecting "normal" delivery!).

I use GW webstore for =lead minis since many other retailers don't stock them.

I almost never go to a GW store because I feel like a strange old man among the 12 year old kids and 18 year old store staff.

Mark.

Nomrana Est
31-05-2011, 14:23
I've bought the majority of my collections at GW stores, but, now, I've decided to move to Wayland and Maelstrom instead, with the odd eBay purchase thrown in, to save myself some money, although I will usually buy paint and such in GWs or indie retailers.

malsheem
31-05-2011, 17:34
Where I buy? Many places (FLGS and CMO mostly). Where I NEVER buy? GW stores and the GW website. I still enjoy 40k, so I can't stop my money from going to GW, but I definitely make sure that those out there that still support the hobby and customers (FLGS) are getting a cut.

seer
31-05-2011, 17:53
Used to be GW website, but now seeing the advantages of $CDN exchange rate, I'm starting to leaning more towards ebay.

Vriko
31-05-2011, 17:56
Is there any websites that offer good rates to people who live in the USA?

Shadow Nugz
31-05-2011, 17:58
Independent retailer Acme Comics in Sioux City, $5 off for every $50(?) purchased. And you can get, say, 9 punches in 5 different cards, cheap stuff.

Personally hate buying from GW online and I am not too trusting of Online Retailers. Except for Bit Kingdom because they are located a couple hours away.

MagicHat
31-05-2011, 17:59
My primary shop is an independent store, they sometimes have discounted goods but is not supplied with everything. (See if I can grab some more discounted metals with the release of finecast)
When I visit a GW shop in Sweden I tend to buy something.

Dryaktylus
31-05-2011, 18:16
*E-Bay
*Local Independant Retailer (full price)
*Sometimes Mail Order (things I can't get from the previous sources)

Vedar
31-05-2011, 18:23
I'm lucky enough to have bought 3 40K amries and 1 Fantasy army cheap over ebay over the last 10 years that are pretty much complete. I need to update my Tomb Kings but as I don't play much Fantasy these days it can wait a bit.
GW is pretty smart to make all the old good units worse and the new units rock.

My plan is to drop back down to 2 armies for 40K, When the new CSM codex comes out in a year or two I'm go to sell off all my Daemons that are not in the book to finance the new "it" CSM units.

malsheem
31-05-2011, 18:41
Is there any websites that offer good rates to people who live in the USA?

I use http://www.chaosmailorder.com/games-workshop. 20% off all GW products. Located in Indiana. Only thing is, like any online store in the US that sells GW products, you have to call them up, can't do it from their website.

Max_Killfactor
31-05-2011, 18:43
I buy all I can from thewarstore.

Sometimes I make small purchases from my local GW.

Graccus
31-05-2011, 18:51
Ebay, sometimes from LFG's with a discount.

djhowitzer
31-05-2011, 19:55
when i re-started the hobby 3 years ago i didnt have access to the internet. therefore i went into my local store to buy everything. that is well over 2000 on eldar in a year.

since i have had the internet i have been able to compare prices, and now i can see just how badly i am being ripped off i have had enough. all GW will get from me now is the money for paints and brushes and books. everything else will come from other retailers.

i am also sincerely sick of the sales policy that will actually see members of staff lie to me when i ask them a question, example: "is liber chaotica fantasy based or does it have 40k?" answer (from manager who knows i play 40k exclusively) "there is plenty of stuff in there that covers the 40k universe". this was pure bull, delivered to my face. i was going to buy the thing anyway. this kind of stuff is what drives me away. i am not an anxious mum who wants to make sure little johnny gets the right birthday present and is willing to let the store worker spend my 200. i am a 35 year old man with 20 years in the hobby and 1000 a year to spend on it. treat me right and that goes on your sales statistics., mess me around and it goes to wayland.

smellyhippy
31-05-2011, 20:44
i am also a recent returnee to the hobby & whilst my initial purchase (ahriman, box'o'ksons & landraider) was from my lgs, 90% of all further purchases were from wayland simply because of the avg 20% saving per box (now negated by the recent rises mostly, but not for guard/loyalist stuff so it would seem eh) & on a large build that counts for quite a few pennies. The remaindered 10%merely comprising brushes & paints etc. a few people on here seem to be concerned with supporting a company that sees it's cutomers as sadly addicted plastikrak-heads & therefore indentured to their low volume/high margin ways...if they see this poll & decide to remove our last recourse for affordable gaming (online re-sellers stuck on pre-order only for all kits for example! & don't you just know they'll do it too!). then players will leave in droves! tbh the codex creep & the blatant loyalist zomgawesome button/price freeze of late has me nearly at the door as it stands & i'm only 18mths back in! they killing our hobby by a thousand cuts & no-one a gw has the cojones to say as much!

HRM
31-05-2011, 20:51
Wow, you must be loaded (money-wise).

No call for that.

Personally I shop at the local GW store. Friendly staff and all.