PDA

View Full Version : Harlequins: Eldar Daemonhunters?

MarshallSam
31-05-2011, 23:41
Ok, I am by no means an Eldar 'fanboi', but I remember reading fluff regarding the Harlequins showing up to help other races if they were facing Chaos. I know that they also guard the legendary Black Library. Hmmm, fighters of Chaos, keepers of Chaotic knowledge, sounds like the Eldar version of the Inquistion.

I was wondering if any of this still held true. I am recently finishing off some Grey Knights and wanted to include some other dedicated chaos fighting xenos.

I am trying to recreate a fantasy alliance between humans, elves, and dwarves fighting against the encroaching darkness. Grey Knights fill the role of humans (or at least superhumans), the Harlequins would be a nice fit for the elves, and as for the dwarves.... well I'll have to wait and see if the rumors are true for the Demuirg and then I'll create my own antichaos Demurig fighting force.

TheLaughingGod
31-05-2011, 23:53
Ok, I am by no means an Eldar 'fanboi', but I remember reading fluff regarding the Harlequins showing up to help other races if they were facing Chaos. I know that they also guard the legendary Black Library. Hmmm, fighters of Chaos, keepers of Chaotic knowledge, sounds like the Eldar version of the Inquistion. .
First off, lol. Is the definition of "Eldar Fanboi" someone who knows the actual Eldar fluff now? But you're right. The Harlequins guard the Black Library which is the THE greatest repository of knowledge (and specifically of knowledge regarding Chaos and Daemons, but not limited to)
The Harlequins themselves do hunt down daemons and chaos worshippers, sometimes appearing beside other races in their darkest hours to fight off Chaos and vanish. So yes, that's probably a fair approximation. Also, though it's less discussed, Farseers and Warlocks are well-versed in tracking and combating Daemons. (Originally, their Ghosthelms protected them from daemons and witchblades were very effective against daemons, more so than regular force weapons even)

I was wondering if any of this still held true. I am recently finishing off some Grey Knights and wanted to include some other dedicated chaos fighting xenos. . It certainly does! Harlequins will aid basically any faction against Chaos if it is prudent for them to do so. They may not announce themselves or even make their presence known to their "allies" but they will fight against Chaos in all it's forms and wherever it appears.

I am trying to recreate a fantasy alliance between humans, elves, and dwarves fighting against the encroaching darkness. Grey Knights fill the role of humans (or at least superhumans), the Harlequins would be a nice fit for the elves, and as for the dwarves.... well I'll have to wait and see if the rumors are true for the Demuirg and then I'll create my own antichaos Demurig fighting force.

Very cool. I like it. There's already some hints in the GK book that the Knights have dealings with the Harlequins IIRC

Xisor
01-06-2011, 00:45
In simplistic terms: yes.

The Harlequins aren't there to fight the daemons, but they're certainly the most suited to it. The natural choice, as it were. Their patron, afterall, is heavily invested in not committing to things so the exact parallel with Grey Knights does fall apart (but you've noted that well in advance).

But, broadly and almost certainly in a thematic manner, they're very much anti-Chaos.

With that in mind, I'd pitch this regarding Demiurg: a Demiurg force which is extensively involved in 'continuing' or 'approximating' some of the work started by the C'tan. So they're in it, for example, more for the science/learning/power than the vested principle/ideal of opposing Chaos. Suitably Demiurgish?

SgtTaters
01-06-2011, 03:10
I was wondering if any of this still held true. I am recently finishing off some Grey Knights and wanted to include some other dedicated chaos fighting xenos.

If you want to represent them rules wise, I highly recommend you field Death Cult Assassins

they have extremely similar profiles (ws5, i6, 2 attacks, 5++). The mandatory Inquisitor to unlock them can easily represent a Shadowseer.
Hallucinagen grenades were actually a harlequin signature weapon, so your GK may indeed wind up with more fluffy Harlequins than C:WE allows lol. Convert a Falcon into a storm raven and you've got a nice Eldarwing to your Grey Knights

Grey Knights have already been shown to work with Eldar in their fluff. A dead craftworld that became haunted by daemons was purged by the Grey Knights, who then contacted a nearby craftworld to rescue the Infinity Matrix.

MajorWesJanson
01-06-2011, 03:34
GK and Harlequins fit together surprisingly well. Both fight Chaos, and GKs see the "Purge the Xenos" mindset to be rather petty.

I like the idea of DCAs for them, and you could even put them with an Ordos Xenos inquisitor for a rather fluffy force (Radical Ordos Xenos who sometimes works alongside the Eldar has requested their help). Then put them in a Land Raider of old school Harlequin Land Raider fun ;)

For a bit more variety, warrior acolytes could be as counts as Guardians, plasma cannon servitors as Wraithguard, and Jokero as Bonesingers...

Inquisitor Warbands are awesome for counts as...

srfrogg23
01-06-2011, 13:21
The Eldar codex was pretty vague on the black library. They said it was a repository of the universes knowledge, but they didn't elaborate on the sentinels too much. Are they Specialized Harlequins? Fanatical Eldar? or a conglomeration of like minded daemon hunters from various races? Just curious.

SgtTaters
01-06-2011, 14:18
For a bit more variety, warrior acolytes could be as counts as Guardians

24" shuriken catapults
4+ armor save!?

Jaded Patriot
01-06-2011, 15:31
24" shuriken catapults
4+ armor save!?

If only the Eldar cared for their Guardians in the same way the Grey Knights care for each individual acolyte... :D

Xisor
01-06-2011, 19:03
I expect we might get a closer look at the interior/guardians of the Black Library in Rob Sander's upcoming Atlas Infernal a book whose protagonist is none other than Inquisitor Czevak.

(It's on preorder now!)

(I'm really excited about it.)

Shamana
03-06-2011, 08:02
The Eldar codex was pretty vague on the black library. They said it was a repository of the universes knowledge, but they didn't elaborate on the sentinels too much. Are they Specialized Harlequins? Fanatical Eldar? or a conglomeration of like minded daemon hunters from various races? Just curious.

As far as I remember they are eldar, and yes, it seems they are harlequin of some sorts. I think some older lore had them as solitaires - perhaps the IA 11 might shed some light, since it supposedly will have stats and a little info on the solitaire model.

The harlequin <=> daemonhunters connection is certainly a valid one. Next to travelling the different eldar subsects and doing... whatever their plan is to bring them together, fighting Chaos and Slaanesh in particular is the most important item on the harlequins' agenda. Aiding grey knights is certainly possible, though I doubt it would be a codified alliance - more likely just occasional cooperation and "understanding", relying on passing of information and coordinating actions via certain channels. Let's say an Ordo Malleus inquisitor just happens to find a strange cube that every now and then turns into a map to a planet where a demonic incursion would happen soon, or the Tarot starts indicating that s/he will receive allies (with the card eerily changing its normal look) when attacking a chaos cult.

Woodsman
03-06-2011, 08:56
As a (some would say rabid) fanboi I would say (IMHO) that Harles are to the inquisition as Shakespeare is to my mate bob, who's contribution to literature would be something along the lines of a text reading: yo jez wts apenin wiv u???:shifty:

With that out the way; Gav's experimental 'codex' suggests Harlies would fight alongside anyone fighting Chaos and that the oldest and most powerful solitaires do indeed guard the library. If you want to model a transport either go old school with the landraider or get a venom - either fits in well IMO.

MagosHereticus
03-06-2011, 10:24
no, harlequins are much much more than mere, they are the future, they are eldar who are beyond the grasp of She and the hope to save the whole of their race

Jaded Patriot
03-06-2011, 15:02
no, harlequins are much much more than mere, they are the future, they are eldar who are beyond the grasp of She and the hope to save the whole of their race

Yes, but at what cost? That has yet to be revealed.

Nothing in 40k is free. :D

TheLaughingGod
03-06-2011, 19:15
Yes, but at what cost? That has yet to be revealed.

Nothing in 40k is free. :D

a plan so horrific, they dare not share it with the rest of their race

Jaded Patriot
03-06-2011, 19:27

I'm sure it is suitably horrific, considering that's how 40k does things (and is why I like the setting). Despite that, many Eldar (and Dark Eldar) willingly seek them out to join, so they consider the trade-off worth it.

Torpedo Vegas
04-06-2011, 02:51
I really like this idea. However, while they are against Chaos in all its forms, I don't think they are focused solely on fighting Chaos. The Harlequins do whatever the Laughing God tells them to, so their first focus is doing what they are told, everything else is second.

Iracundus
04-06-2011, 04:51

The problem as I see it is just saying "it's so horrific" doesn't actually inspire any dread in the reader. It's much as how in horror movies, a little glimpse of something can serve as the springboard for the audience's own imagination. However, total blackness (i.e. not even a glimpse) doesn't do that.

Two possibilities I can think of offhand (purely speculative):
1. Extinguish all other life in the galaxy and deprive the Chaos gods of power, leaving them to slowly wither away. Problem: the Necrons and Tyranids are doing a much better job of this than the numerically few Eldar, and it doesn't seem very horrifying for the Harlequins to aim for the same goal.

2. Aim for all Eldar to abandon their individual identities much as the Harlequins do and/or pledge their souls to the Laughing God. Problem: While the loss of individuality may be horrifying for the Eldar, to some extent they already have this in their Craftworld Infinity Circuits where their individual selves are merged into a whole (though the individual is still able to surface and is not truly gone). If it is swearing themselves to the Laughing God, I fail to see how this is really that horrifying in a universe where the Chaos Champions and Harlequins do the equivalent.