PDA

View Full Version : own written codexes

Yresk
01-06-2011, 18:47
hi guys guess what? your favorate looser is back:p

ive been for fun writing a few codexes for the Adeptus Sosoritas and the Adeptus Astartes but they are way to big to be posted here but i want to share them. does anyone know how i can make a home page with these codexes without being sued and utterly crushed by the legal problems of the venerated GW licenses? its not really fun enough to get legal problems through.

thanks in advance for the help

/Yresk

the1stpip
01-06-2011, 19:11
Post them to a document sharing site like Uploading.com.

Then post the link here.

<doesn't seem to be working at the mo, but a quick google search should suffice.

marv335
01-06-2011, 20:53
As long as you don't use any terms, images, or names that are copyrighted/trademarked/etc you're fine, otherwise GW Legal could come after you.

Gazak Blacktoof
01-06-2011, 22:24
Gw have for a long time encouraged players to create their own rules and variants. Simply place a disclaimer prominently in the document that you're not trying to claim their material as your own and don't copy large sections of their work.

I don't think GW has ever sent legal hit squads after anybody for fan created rules material.

Threeshades
02-06-2011, 00:03
Gw have for a long time encouraged players to create their own rules and variants. Simply place a disclaimer prominently in the document that you're not trying to claim their material as your own and don't copy large sections of their work.

I don't think GW has ever sent legal hit squads after anybody for fan created rules material.

A nice case in point being the Kompletely Kroot Codex, which does not only feature most of GW's own old Kroot Mercenary army list but also includes some of their own images.

Also scribd.com is a nice place to upload document files to. It's where i have my exodite codex hosted.

Achaylus72
02-06-2011, 00:42
I have thought about re-writing the Chaos Space Marines Codex to fix up the mistakes and it's lack of consistency.

Shadow Marine
02-06-2011, 08:38
If you are into writing your own codexs why not try www.thecodexproject.com

Godzooky
02-06-2011, 10:00
I think homebrew codices are great fun.

I'm still holding out hope that RyVin comes back with a fully fleshed out Space Manatees codex. He already had some strong fluff on the go. That's if GW haven't snapped him up.

The Manatees concept sounded fresh and fun, like the early days of Rogue Trader before all the Grimdarkness took hold: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262915

BigbyWolf
02-06-2011, 16:11
I think homebrew codices are great fun.

I'm still holding out hope that RyVin comes back with a fully fleshed out Space Manatees codex. He already had some strong fluff on the go. That's if GW haven't snapped him up.

The Manatees concept sounded fresh and fun, like the early days of Rogue Trader before all the Grimdarkness took hold: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262915

In all fairness, it wasn't his idea. He polled for suggestions, of which Manatees were voted top, then blatantly plagiarised such works as 20'000 Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick.

On topic though- Creating codices/ armybooks is quite fun. Warseer is a good place to get advice on them, but when it comes down to it, it is your own gaming group that would need to approve them for normal games. Best place to go looking for help is the Rules Development forum.

Lord Gabranth
02-06-2011, 16:16
Can GW actually go after you if you make a codex of your own and you are not making a profit on it? I figured that if you were to be selling the codex in question, that would cause a problem, but just making one and sharing it between friends I think is something that GW has no control of.

marv335
02-06-2011, 16:30
If you're using their terms, then yes they can.

Col. Tartleton
02-06-2011, 16:33
They don't actually own most of the words they think they own. They just think they do.

BigbyWolf
02-06-2011, 17:02
Can GW actually go after you if you make a codex of your own and you are not making a profit on it? I figured that if you were to be selling the codex in question, that would cause a problem, but just making one and sharing it between friends I think is something that GW has no control of.

Can they? Possibly.

Will they? I doubt it. As others haev noted, in the past GW have approved of people using their own initiative to produce fan projects, that kind of thing. What they get really cheesed off at is companies blatantly copying their stuff (rightly or wrongly) and selling it for profit.

As was stated earlier, give GW the appropriate props in your book, they should be happy. Although, I doubt they'll ever read it.

Adramalech
02-06-2011, 17:19

Creating a completely broken daemon prince character? Don't mind if I do!

H.LaFever
02-06-2011, 19:11
Alot of the stuff in 40k isnt original, a huge amount came from laserburn, and combat3000. Bolters and many other '40k' items actually predate 40k, as do the imperium and the inquistion- though we did lose the 'red redemptionists', but I think thats more because of the politics of the authors, they tend to deamonize right wing politics, and embrace left wing ideas...
- remove red redemption as bad guys, and shift it to fascists as bad guys.
not too annoying, as they do keep most of their politics on the down low and just make oblique references (like the glory of the greater good and the collectivist/ communist tau, which, if you forget the whole xeno thing, sounds quit like the old red redemptionist)

gravitron. vortex grenades, power armor, its all pre-40k

Wishing
02-06-2011, 21:54

Considering that GW has encouraged fans to make up their own rules as long as they have been around, and used to publish magazines with fan-written material that people sent to them, I really have a hard time imagining GW legal going "NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO WRITE THEIR OWN RULES FOR FUN USING OUR IP EVER AGAIN!" It would just be too surreal.

Obviously you wouldn't be allowed to sell any of it, but I doubt any fan has ever written a fan codex with profit in mind.