PDA

View Full Version : 1,000pt HE Army

mruss.bus
02-06-2011, 16:12
Hello Warseer. I'm returning to FB after a bit of a hiatus and it's time to start a new army. I'm starting a 1,000pt list for now but I plan on building on it in the future. Also the only models I currently own are the unit of LSG so everything else can be changed. I'll be buying everything else this weekend. So here we go!

Selections:
* Heroes (185pts.)
Mage - 185pts. (High Magic)
-Lvl 2, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury

* Core (295pts.)
20x Lothern Sea Guard - 295pts.
-FC, Shields, Banner of Eternal Flame

* Special (440pts.)
5x Dragon Princes of Caledor - 150pts.

14x White Lions of Chrace - 290pts.
-FC, Banner of Sorcery

* Rare 100pts.
Great Eagle - 50pts.

Great Eagle - 50pts.

Total - 1,020pts.

Obviously I need to shave 20pts. for the list to be legal but I'm unsure of what to cut.

It seems like units of LSG are quite unpopular on the boards I've been lurking but I'm kind of stuck on the idea of using them. I love the models and their versatility. Plan is to have them sit back in a 10x2 unit shooting approaching enemy units and switch to 5x4 prior to being charged to get those 4 ranks of spear attacks. So the musician seems important but what about the rest of the command?

I plan to join up the mage with the unit of white lions. I took FC so the champ could take any unwanted challenges and I wanted the banner of sorcery so I could dominate the magic phase. Is it smart to put my mage in here? The hammer to my LSG's anvil?

I took the DPs and eagles because I've heard good things about them. How do they tend to do in this list size?

Brady
02-06-2011, 17:22
Looks solid, I would however replace the ring of fury with the guardian phoenix, so your mage has a save of some sort. With the points saved give the Princes a musician. I wouldn't worry about the banner of sorcery at a 1k level, replace it with banner of protection so your main hammer can get some extra protection, or you could go with lion standard so you don't run away like a pansy elf ;)

The princes will be excellent for covering your flank, especially at 1K when your opponent won't have many units. Eaaaaaglessss are a must in almost any list, they can stall your deployment and act as warmachine hunters/charge blockers/redirectors/rear charge.... etc...

List looks good all around though.

FestHest
02-06-2011, 21:35
One thing you could is replace the eagles with shadow warriors.
Everything else is said already, list looks decent :)

bluemage
03-06-2011, 02:04
I would drop the champions from the unit of white lions and the unit of spearmen. That'll shave enough points off to bring you under 1k.

Anyways I don't like lothern sea guard rules-wise as I feel they're sup-optimal for whatever role you want them to play. The models look great however and at lower points games their versitility will pay off. However if you start playing 2,000 to 2,500 points you'll be wanting to run spearmen and archers.

ASTINOFF
04-06-2011, 03:47
I would drop the champions from the unit of white lions and the unit of spearmen. That'll shave enough points off to bring you under 1k.

Anyways I don't like lothern sea guard rules-wise as I feel they're sup-optimal for whatever role you want them to play. The models look great however and at lower points games their versitility will pay off. However if you start playing 2,000 to 2,500 points you'll be wanting to run spearmen and archers.

LSG for 1k looks good, but like you say for more than 1.5k I prefer Spearmens and archer too. Always he can use LSG as spearmen proxys. Use LSG without champion and save the cost.
Ring of fury..mmm... I don't know if it works like in 7th Ed. If not, change it for anything else (30 points for not reliable item, like it was in 7th, doesn't pay).

The list looks solid to me!

mruss.bus
05-06-2011, 16:00
Revised List:
* Heroes (145pts.)
Mage - 145pts. (High Magic)
-Lvl 2, Silver Wand

* Core (295pts.)
20x Lothern Sea Guard - 295pts.
-FC, Shields, Banner of Eternal Flame

* Special (460pts.)
5x Dragon Princes of Caledor - 160pts.
-Musician

14x White Lions of Chrace - 300pts.
-FC, Talisman of Loec, Banner of Sorcery

* Rare 100pts.
Great Eagle - 50pts.

Great Eagle - 50pts.

Total - 1,000pts.

That puts me in at exactly 1k points. I went ahead and dropped the Ring of Fury from the mage and used the points to pick up a musician for the DPs and the Talisman of Loec for the Lions. For now I'll keep the Banner of Sorcery for the Lions and if it proves to be too much of a liability for the unit I'll replace it with a ward save. I mainly just wanted to hammer out the list so I know what I'll be spending my $$$ on and I think this'll be good start.

As I expand I'll probably switch to using archers and spearman units. It's too bad those units look terrible. I'm also stuck on the idea of using a prince mounted on a great eagle for bigger games. Anyone know of an effective way to use one? I'm thinking reaver bow and maybe radiant gem. Oh well. Thoughts for the future.

ASTINOFF
06-06-2011, 00:15
I like it!

Good luck and have fun!