PDA

View Full Version : IG Armored Companies... are they viable?

Col_Festus
03-06-2011, 17:53
I'm curious if anyone has ever tested out a IG codex legal armored company? Basically the list would be built around 3 russ squadrons in HS, or maybe 2 squads and unit of artillery. I would have to go towards mech vets for my troop choices of course to save points. So anyone have any experience with this?

Quadros
03-06-2011, 18:17
I've played a game with an armoured company of 5 Leman Russ, 2 Penal Legion squads ('scouts') and a Lord Commissar and it was ok. If you can concentrate your fire appropriately to wipe out heavy weapons teams and enemy armour, and ensure the tanks cover each others' flanks so you're just presenting a wall of armour 14 to your enemy then you'll succeed.

Jump pack troops with meltas and powefists are an obvious concern, and I played an armoured company using the White Dwarf list (way back when) which got taken apart by necrons more than once.

Really your main problem will be dealing with aforementioned jump packs, outflankers and tank killing weapons in squads big and bulky enough to absorb the heavy fire. Spreading your fire is a big no-no, you need to think of casualties in terms of heavy weapons neutralised, not necessarily bodies killed. Having to turn your armour to greet outflanking threats is also risky because it exposes not only that tank's side armour but the armour of it's neighbour.

Basically the army can work, but you have to think almost as if you're controlling a Gothic fleet, rather than a conventional, flexible army.

Vaktathi
03-06-2011, 19:17
I'm curious if anyone has ever tested out a IG codex legal armored company? Basically the list would be built around 3 russ squadrons in HS, or maybe 2 squads and unit of artillery. I would have to go towards mech vets for my troop choices of course to save points. So anyone have any experience with this?

Using the Codex for an armored company? It's not very good at all. Too much overconcentration of firepower on enemy targets that don't need to be overkilled, too easy for the enemy to concentrate on your units, and they're easier to destroy thanks to the squadron rules. *VERY* easy to destroy.

Now, the Forgeworld Armored Battlegroup list is fairly decent for an actual armored company, though still not quite as scary as some normal C:IG mechanized infantry builds.

Dangersaurus
03-06-2011, 21:58
Yeah, use the Armoured Battlegroup list. If you have an IG codex the free update (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Downloads.html) for IA1 has all the additional rules you need.

It's not competitive (for me at least - I generally have no scoring units), and Quadros is right about the play style. It's very different from normal IG, even if you normally run armour-heavy lists.

FashaTheDog
04-06-2011, 03:49
I use the Krieg Armored Battle Group (IA7) and love the list. Last game I played was a 1,500 point list where my army was eight Leman Russ. It was a 2v1 where I had a partner with 1,500 points of Grey Knights against a 3,000 point Chaos list. I did most of the work, losing two tanks but killing more than 2K worth of entrenched Chaos. In regular games where I am alone, I still generally win unless I decide to go for the fluff and take a Gorgon as a platoon command squad's dedicated transport so I can call my force fully mounted and claim the four squads of infantry rode in on that.

As for particulars, the Annihilator's a fun variant. For a good Commissariat Tank choice, take the Exterminator with three heavy bolters and go nuts. And if you take a pair of three strong Troop squadrons, you can deploy seven Leman Russ (:D) in Dawn of War, which always gains a satisfying reaction. The ability to buy cheaper artillery strikes that require a spotter also adds to the strength of the list, especially if your Company Command tank is the 160 point bare bones kit. Stay away from taking a Gorgon, tempting as fielding a super heavy in a normal game is unless you are looking for a fluff choice, as it is far too expensive, especially when you are buying tanks in bulk. Cyclops are a real cheap way to get more bang, but are exceptionally fragile, so handle with care.