PDA

View Full Version : Quite a lot of questions, mostly regarding beastmen

Marte
04-06-2011, 03:02
Hello everyone. I have tons of questions, I've only played the game once so far:

1) If a character has 2 hand weapons and gains frenzy, does it get another bonus attack?

2) How many different Gifts of Chaos can one char have? can you point me out where that rule is please?

3) Can you explain Khazrak the one eye's weapon (Scourge) please? what's the best strategy for it?

4) If I have a weapon that gives me +1 to hit to or allows me to re-roll to hit, can that affect the bonus attack from Many-Limbed Fiend? It says "This bonus attack is always at the model's basic strength and is never augmented by equipment or magic weapons", can it be augmented by magic spells? Same question for Ramhorn Helm.

5) What's a "staff of sorcery" (40 points)?

6) The armybook says that the battle standard bearer has to pay 25 points for it and it can HAVE any magic banner (no point limits), does it mean that I have to pay for that specific banner or is free after paying the standard 25 points?

7) Can beastmen char use common Magic items that are not listed on the armybook such as Fencer's Blades or Armour of Destiny?

That's all... for now. Thanks!

D'Haran
04-06-2011, 04:16
1. Yes, a total of +2 attacks. 1 for frenzy and another for extra hand weapon.

2. No limit to the amount of gifts, only the total amount of points. I don't have the book on me so I don't have the reference.

3. If there are 10 models in the enemy's front rank the scourge makes 10 attacks, if there's 5 it makes 5. These are treated as though they were shooting attacks, so you can't target a model, but have to distribute randomly.

4. Bonus attacks can't be augmented by magic weapons, that sounds pretty straight forward and says nothing about magic spells and the ramhorn allows additional normal attacks. so No, Yes, Yes.

5. Adds +1 to all dispel attempts made by the bearer, if you have mulitple wizards of different lvls it's important to identify who has the staff as it'd be rather useless to give it to a lvl 2 when you have a lvl 4.

6. You have to pay for the banner, but the bsb can use a banner regardless of their magic item point cap (though most bsb's when given a magic banner can't have additional magic equipment).

7. Any army (except possibly dwarfs) can use the common magic items.

decker_cky
04-06-2011, 08:27
D'Haran is correct, except on 4 and 6.

4.) It would benefit from +1 to hit or a reroll. It only is limited from extra source, and because it says base strength, you always use the number written in the book. No magic, weapon, spell or item changes it.

6.) You pay 25 pts to get a battle standard, and then you can buy a magic standard. If you bought the beast standard, you pay the gorebull or wargor cost + 25 + 75 (+ any armour or gifts you purchase).

DeathlessDraich
04-06-2011, 10:49
6) The armybook says that the battle standard bearer has to pay 25 points for it and it can HAVE any magic banner (no point limits), does it mean that I have to pay for that specific banner or is free after paying the standard 25 points?

I love that interpretation!

"can have ANY magic banner"

Typical of the rules writers not to understand the full meaning of a simple word like "any".

I think you should try these grammatically legitimate options -

1) BSB Wargor with the Storm Banner or Drakenhof Banner :D
2) During a game the Wargor BSB whisks away the enemy's Magic Banner.

plus it's all done for free!;)

D'Haran
04-06-2011, 15:27
Thx for the help with 4 decker, I don't play beastmen and was seeing what I could figure out with the army builder. But for 6... isn't that the same thing I said? or maybe tried to say if it came out wrong.
I was trying to say that he has to pay the magic item point for the banner, but the any part means he's not limited by the 50pt magic item cost most bsb's have, though after getting one most bsb's are limited to mundane wargear.

Marte
05-06-2011, 03:26
Thanks everyone. You sure did help me out :)

PD: Decker used the word BUY which is very important and it's something that is not clear in the armybook.

Harwammer
06-06-2011, 09:07
Thanks everyone. You sure did help me out :)

PD: Decker used the word BUY which is very important and it's something that is not clear in the armybook.

You pay 25 points to make the model a battle standard bearer (this let's nearby troops reroll leadership tests). The battle standard bearer also has the options to upgrade his standard to a magic banner (the points for this depends on which magic standard you choose).

If you give the battle standard bearer a magic banner he can't use any other magic items but he can take up to 50 points of gifts.

It's all explained if you look at the rule books/FAQs.

BEEGfrog
06-06-2011, 16:21
D'Haran is correct, except on 4 and 6.

4.) It would benefit from +1 to hit or a reroll. It only is limited from extra source, and because it says base strength, you always use the number written in the book. No magic, weapon, spell or item changes it.

My interpretation of this is slightly different as I believe that certain items, e.g. potion of strength, can change the base strength, i.e. the actual strength of the model. But I am willing to be persuaded with relevant quotes.

Yrrdead
06-06-2011, 17:06
My interpretation of this is slightly different as I believe that certain items, e.g. potion of strength, can change the base strength, i.e. the actual strength of the model. But I am willing to be persuaded with relevant quotes.

Well in this specific case the gift is clear on its restrictions. Which are "equipment or magic weapons". I would consider potion of strength to fall under equipment. Though I could be mistaken.

Ramhorn is less limiting . The term basic strength in general is preventing you from using weapon based strength modifiers(Halberds, GW) which are specifically preventing from changing your profile in almost all cases.

Though spells are a different story.

I'm curious decker why you say that many limbed fiend won't benefit from spells?

decker_cky
07-06-2011, 18:01
Base stats is used in two places - Many Limbed-Fiend and Van Horstmann's Speculum. We've lost the clarification FAQ for VHS, but the common way it's played is that base characteristics are the characteristics written on your profile. If they aren't then there's no difference between base characteristics and characteristics.

Here's a few threads that touch on it:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247787
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271073
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289321

Yrrdead
07-06-2011, 21:34
Ahh I see, though it doesn't seem like there is any actual ruling on this at the moment (for 8th).

Thanks for the links.