Special
24 Tomb Guard w/ full command
4 Ushabti
3 Entombed Necropolis Knights
1 Tomb Scorpion

Rare
Casket of Souls
Screaming Skull Catapult

The Hierophant joins the archers, the secondary priest will probably join the skeleton warriors. I know the Tomb Guard unit is a little small, but the new plastics don't fit the old metals at all, so until my luck come up on ebay thats as many as I have.

forgottenlor
04-06-2011, 15:32
A solid list. I'm not sure I wouldn't trade in the horsemen against something else, maybe another unit of archers if you need the points in core. Usabti also tend to work best in a unit of 6 or 8, which allows them to remain effective despite casulaties and gives them more offensive punch, since the 2nd rank gets attacks. I'm not sure I like the knights a tunnelers. Usually they can get a charge off pretty quick, and I'd be upset if they didn't come up when/where I needed them.

Spiney Norman
04-06-2011, 21:32
A solid list. I'm not sure I wouldn't trade in the horsemen against something else, maybe another unit of archers if you need the points in core. Usabti also tend to work best in a unit of 6 or 8, which allows them to remain effective despite casulaties and gives them more offensive punch, since the 2nd rank gets attacks. I'm not sure I like the knights a tunnelers. Usually they can get a charge off pretty quick, and I'd be upset if they didn't come up when/where I needed them.

I'm intending to use the Necro knights more as disruption behind enemy lines while my slower infantry forces close with the enemy. Stalkers are particularly useless in this role when fighting elves, with their shooting attack and their rather unimpressive combat stat line both failing to impress.

Currently I only have 4 Ushabti, and I figured 4 was better than 3. I've been having trouble getting the movement incantation off, and the horsemen seem a good way of getting some forces into position without having to rely on magic, I have been considering replacing them with a Hierotitan, but I think 2 more bound spells might be overkill in the magic phase.

forgottenlor
05-06-2011, 08:26
4 is better than 3, but for the same price you might be better off with a collosus with an extra hand weapon. I'd also guess 3 more chariots would work better than 10 horsemen.

Spiney Norman
07-06-2011, 10:56
4 is better than 3, but for the same price you might be better off with a collosus with an extra hand weapon. I'd also guess 3 more chariots would work better than 10 horsemen.

Switching the ushabti for a colossus is an interesting option I could explore, it would save me a few points too.

Chariots would be better in combat than the horsemen, but they lack the speed because they don't have the vanguard rule.

Pulstar
07-06-2011, 14:32
I'd drop the Ubi (i agree with the 6-8 on these) and bump the KN to 6 (if you have the models)

This will save you 20 or so points and gives you a much better hammer.

And I like the horseman. I was trying to find another 50 points of savings for a unit of 5 HA to go WM hunting. Hard to do with out gutting the other core units. Best to just buy another rank on your skeleton bunker.

Spiney Norman
08-06-2011, 11:43
I'd drop the Ubi (i agree with the 6-8 on these) and bump the KN to 6 (if you have the models)

This will save you 20 or so points and gives you a much better hammer.

And I like the horseman. I was trying to find another 50 points of savings for a unit of 5 HA to go WM hunting. Hard to do with out gutting the other core units. Best to just buy another rank on your skeleton bunker.

I could maybe afford another 3 KNs, would you field them with full command and not entombed? A unit that size will likely be a problem to place once the battle gets going.

Maybe drop the scorpion to fit the HAs in, they would effectively be doing the same job anyway

vinny t
09-06-2011, 02:29
Instead of the ushabti, try and get a war sphinx. Those things are awesome!

forgottenlor
10-06-2011, 18:21
Horse archers have the advantage over a scorpion that they can often charge in turn 2. I have found they have trouble killing things, but if they tie up archers or a war machine for a few turns, its also great.

Carrion are another alternative, they very maneouverable and probably better in combat than horsemen. A unit of 3 is also cheap.

olej89
12-06-2011, 02:00
maybe a good ward save for the Hierophant? hate when he get sniped down =P

Spiney Norman
15-06-2011, 11:10
Ok, played a game this week vs dark elves, my list was slightly adapted from this, here is the list I used.

Lords
Tomb King - Akenaten the Righteous, Pharoah of Zandri
General, Great weapon, Armour of Fortune, Death Mask of Kharnut, Dragonbane gem

Horus the Everlasting, Grand Hierophant of Qu'aph
Level 4 Liche High Priest, Hierophant, Lore of Nehekhara, dispel scroll, talisman of preservation

Heroes
Setehk, Priest of Zandri
level 2 Liche Priest, Lore of Nehekhara, Feedback scroll

Core
30 Skeleton Warriors w/ full command
20 Skeleton archers w/ full command
10 Skeleton Horsemen w/ full command
6 Skeleton Chariots w/ full command & Banner of eternal flame

Special
24 Tomb Guard w/ full command
4 Ushabti
Warsphinx with Fiery Roar

Rare
Casket of Souls
Screaming Skull Catapult

The death mask didn't really come into play as he didn't have a BSB and his general was a hi-sorc on a dark pegasus. She bit the dust in her T3 magic phase after she threw 9 dice at a high level purple sun and the feedback scroll wounded her 5 times. The game was utterly brutal, but the healing from the Lore of nek spells really saved the day for my army, as I kept getting back up again. Purple sun was much easier to weather with TK blocks because of the speed which I could re-raise them afterwards, its still annoying on chariots and monsters though.

The chariots slammed into his hydra on T2 and obliterated it from the impact hits, the Ushabti took care of the second hydra while my archers and catapult set about softening up his black guard. My warsphinx never really got a chance to shine, getting purple sun'd on T3 (but not before it had used its breath weapon on the black guard, incinerating 8 of them.

One amusing turn of luck was the un-buffed champion of my skeleton unit killing the witchelf hag in a challenge.

The game was utterly brutal, if only for the sheer number of miscasts we suffered in the magic phase (6 in total, 4 for him and 2 for me), what kept the undead in the game was definitely the ability to spam cheap buffs that raised models back.

Double lore of nek is definitely the way to go, and righteous smiting particularly is absolutely insane at high level, in one turn I managed to buff 3 units in combat at different ends of the table, boost my shooting output and heal everyone in between.